Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

line 6 stompbox modelers

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rekesbass, Mar 25, 2002.

1. just wondering if anyone has tried one on bass??the FM4 filter in paticular...I know there for guitar,but would like to know how they sound on bass....their POD's get pretty good reviews so I was thinkin their f-x might be good too...maybe someone out there has a guitar player who owns one of these pedals that you could try out and post a report??I would be very greatful.

2. i have heard people playing the filter one and wasnt extremely impressed but also wasnt very dissapointed with it either. It sounded good but you could kinda tell it was digital... had that kind of sound ya know?
    i have tried out the delay modeler because i was looking for something that had a decent loop sampler. The sampler was very difficult to get right and I had really no luck getting the samples in time.
    The delays sounded pretty good though but it seemed a little complex atleast to just try out in store. I bet if i had some decent time with it i could appreciate it a lot more.

also samples of the modulation one sounded cool but i wouldnt trust any digital distortion modeling crap ESPECIALLY on bass.

3. hey"not geddy' thanks for the info,I won't waste my time on them...I've tried enough"pretty good" fx to last me a lifetime,I'm only lookin for"really good" fx...thanks again..

4. biscuit

biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    I use the MM4 modulation pedal (the blue one). It has the best chorus sound I have heard and I have tried a lot of pedals. There is no hum and the tone is killer. My previous favorite was the T.C. Electronics chorus, but the Line6 pedal sounds smoother and richer. It takes a little while to dial in the perfect settings; however, you can store your 4 favorites. My experience with Line6 pedals has been very positive. I have not had a chance to try the FM4 Filter pedal yet.

5. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I've tried out the FM-4. Although I thought it sounded good, it didn't deliver the sound I want. I'm wanting something that pulls off a Tron sound, and has a cool synth sound as well (and can be controlled via MIDI.) The synth sound of the Bass Pod appealed more to me than those on the FM-4, while the Trons were pretty evenly matched. I don't know what it was about the FM-4 that didn't grab me, the best way I can put it is they weren't "dirty" enough, sounded a little to clean if you will. I hope that makes sense (I like a clean tone, but the FM-4 syths didn't seem to have enough grit to them.)

I haven't tried any of the other pedals, but I've heard the Modulation Modeler on guitar, and I liked how it sounded, and the Distortion Modeler also sounds great on guitar. I haven't (knowingly) heard the Delay modeler though.

6. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Hey,

I haven't heard the filter modeler with bass myself, but some people like it. If you search this forum, you'll find a couple of people digging it. Bass Player magazine gave a positive review of this, but someone here pointed out that they give postive reviews on a lot of things.

I am also looking for killer envelope filter and synth sounds. In terms of envelope filters, I've owned and not liked the Q-Tron, Mini-Q Tron, EBS IQ, Dr.Q, and an 80's era MXR.

For synths, I have the Electro-Harmonix Minisynth for bass, which is pretty excellent, although the amount of knobs/levers to adjust to change sounds makes it somewhat difficult to use live. I also have the Akai Deep Impact, which although digital, has a couple of good sounds that sound pretty nice.

I haven't tried a Mutron III, but lots of people say they suck. The orignal Mutrons go for around $300, which is about the price of the Line 6 FM4. I've got to try out the Line 6; if the q-tron and wah sounds are good, and maybe a couple of weirdo sounds are good too, then that with the Akai might be what I'm looking for.

By the way the EH Microsynth is not true bypass, and "colors" the bass sound, i.e. makes it sound crappy.
    Cheers,
    Jeb

7. thanx for chimin'in everyone....I've been eyeballin' that deep impact pedal and the e-h bass synth for some time now....also the boss bass synth,has anyone tried the boss unit yet....or should I keep lookin......BTW is it me or do synth pedals seem to cost more than other f/x???

8. I'd like to see you back up that comment....not once have I ever read a statement like that. The Mutron III is the watermark to which ALL other stompbox filters are based. My two sound better than each one I have owned (and/or sold) Ie.; EBS, Agent 00Funk, MXR, DOD or the Q-tron. The re-issue is very good but a whole different animal.
    The FM-4 bites, buy a EH Bass micro synth and a Mutron III instead. Digital is creepy and weird....'nuff said.

9. Jeb T

Jeb T

Feb 19, 2002
    San Carlos, CA
    Sorry 'bout that!! I forgot the '+', as in lots of people say the reissue (+) bites, but the original (no +) rocks but is dang expensive.

Peace,
    Jeb

10. Ah! I thought your comment was a wee odd...
    I was all set to unload my "+" after I scored an original on Ebay. Imagine my surprise when I realized the re-issue actually had a few nifty tricks up it's sleave that many modern filters didn't. It doesn't come close to the original Mutron's funk and squelch but in comparison to many other trendy boxes, it really does sound damn fine. Too bad they called it a "Mutron" cause it sure ain't. I now use both my AC-powered original 'Tron and the "+". The re-issue gets a bad rap because it claims to a legitimate copy of the real thing.....an incorrect statement. It does sound better than quite few though....

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I have the Line 6 FM4 along with about every other filter in the last twentyfive years....the Line 6 might not sound exactly like my Mutron, but it sounds good to me and is easier to deal with in a gig situation. Line 6 makes some nice stuff...not everything digital sucks! Just my 2 pennies;)

12. Oh yes it does......

:D

13. (IMO....)

:p

14. Digital happens in little black boxes. Come on it's little black boxes. Who doesn't like their signals going into little black boxes, all that stuff firing around without any support. :rolleyes:

15. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK