Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 Tone Core Echo Park Mini Review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Oct 27, 2004.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Now I'll have to stick to a mini review for you folks because I didn't actually buy the thing.

Right for those of you who don't know this is a new pedal from line 6 its a single stompbox style effect and in this case it's a delay, but they also do a compressor, chorus, distortion, overdrive and tremelo.

To me it's alot of the features of the dl4 in a smaller box with no lopping or memory function. It has stereo in and out.

I have included a pic so you can see where all the knobs and such are.

Firstly the trails switch pretty simple to understand, play something with trails on and turn the pedal off the effect trails to a fade instead of stopping suddenly, pretty good feature and was in the dl4.

Next the tape, digital, analog switch goes to the mod knob as well depending on that mode the mod switch can control digital=chorus, analog=vibrato, tape=wow&flutter, I couldn't really here the tape mod but the chorus and vibrato were great and you can use them with out any delay as well, the chorus I found was a bit metallic sounding when you went a bit further up, but all in all a good feature, of course each option on the switch effects the way the delay or echo sounds as you would expect.

This unit sounds very warm infact it sounds like a dl4 which I have always loved and was actually going to buy up until I tried this, there is no noticable noise, the pedal is seriously heavy duty and I mean seriously you could beat any boss pedal to death with it, the battery compartment is clean and easy to access, just all in all well built and great sounding

Now obviously you can tell what the other knobs do, time, repeat and mix now the last knob controls the effect.

I found the swell effect to be really nice very subtle at times to all out volume madness, really added a great feel to my playing, sounds pretty much the same as the dl4 one and you can increase the delay and such so it sounds even spacier.

Sweep again this sounded great instantly hearing it I could picture where I would use it in my playing, pretty much the same as the dl4 again.

Ducking now this I had a problem with couldn't really get any good sounds out of it but then I didn't play with this setting for long.

Now the others are all your standard digital delay effects.

The cool thing with this pedal is the pedal doubles for the tap tempo and these a noticable difference between setting the tempo and turning the thing on and off, there is no way you will ever turn this thing off while setting the tempo, you may set the tempo when trying to turn it off as I found my self doing this a lot but I can easily get around this with a bit of practice. You can also set the tempo while the pedal is off and the LED will flash in red to the beat once it's set. (If the pedal is on it flashes green). I thought this was quite a useful feature.

Now hears how I figured it, I wanted a dl4 for looping capabilities, until I tried it then I wanted it for the looping, the auto swell and some of the echos. Then the rc-20xl came out which I wanted for the massive looping time and the undo button. I thought a dl4 and a rc-20xl would be to much and a bit to big just to noodle around with in my room. I've also recently joined a spacy sort of band where a delay pedal would be useful and the dl4 won't fit on my board at the mo. So heres how I figure it I put the echopark on my board and have it as a regular feature for my band, I then get the rc-20xl and then I have all the echo's and sounds of the dl4 with all the capabilities of the rc20xl. I think that would make one mean small looping set up.

OK so maybe its not that mini of a review but I thought I'd share with you guys since you've always helped me out.

Enjoy

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Can you link it up to an expression pedal? I imagine not but that's certainly a useful feature of the DL-4, as you can get all those wacky spaceship noises (radically tweaking the delay time while running with a high feedback setting) without having to bend down and find a free hand to tweak the knobs.

What would really interest me would be if they also issued a dedicated looping pedal - one of the main limitations of the DL-4 is not being able to use any of the other delay models when in looping mode. I wonder how much it would cost to build a simple loop pedal, without too many frills, that could be used as part of a modular sound setup...

Wulf

3. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Nope you can't have an expression pedal, didn't even think about it till you brought it up, suppose it is a shame really.

I don't think line 6 will really dive into the world of looping, they'd have to make something really really good to compete with the RC20xl or something really cheap to compete with the Akai headrush

BTW did any one in the UK see Jules Holland the other week there was a Guitarist on there by the name of KT Turnstall or something like that she had her acoustic guitar and microphone going through a new headrush, she sounded great adding both vocal and guitar and tamborine to her loop and then singing and playing over it.

4. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Surely Line6 have already dived into the world of looping with the DL-4? If they could pull out the looping component of the DL-4 and put it in a stompbox, preferably with a longer sample time (at least 60s, although the more the better) that would be great. If they could keep the price down so much that it was a no brainer to buy two of the things, even better - you could bounce from one to the other, keep two separate loops going, or insert them at different points in the signal chain. Mind you, I'm not familiar with the Akai Headrush... (turns to Google for more investigations!).

Wulf

5. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    How much loop time on the Headrush? It looks like another box that does more than just loop things ... I'd be more interested in a plain vanilla loop machine (dirt cheap and adaptable to a modular setup).

Wulf

6. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I think its either 14 seconds or souble that don't know though really never used one.

I see you point with the looper but I don't know of any one doing one really. I think the problem is company's already concider the cheap looper market covered with the headrush, dl4 and rc-20xl and then they don't even both to compete with the echoplex. The only one that came close to the functionality of the echoplex was the electrix repeater and that didn't last very long on the market.

So the market see's it this way
    Serious looper: Echoplex
    People getting into looping : Headrush, dl4, rc-20/xl
    People buying these effects purely for their looping capabilities, erm lot less than those who buy them for the delays (Except rc-20xl)

A sub £100 with 30 seconds of loop time would be great. Any one fancy building one????

7. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    30 seconds is still quite limiting - I think 60 seconds would be a better level to aim at. I'm assuming the units use some kind of RAM storage (volatile electronic memory) and that's pretty cheap nowadays.

Also you could then give a snappy name like "The new One Hot Minute(tm)" :D

Wulf

8. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    when feedback at max, does it keep repiting what you plat for ever? not making a chaotic noise being each time more nosy, but repiting the phrase for ever.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
  10. So far I'm digging on mine...but I was a little perturbed last night. I was playing in my garage, and there was some hiss/hum/fritzyness coming from the Echo Park. Could have been from the flourescent lights of the garage, could have been the cables. (I hope it's not the cables, cause I've spent some time saying that cables don't matter too much)

When I switched the Echo Park for my old Danelectro Dan Echo or my Boss BF-3 Flanger, the annoying-ness went away...so I know the pedal is the culprit.

I've got about another 15 days of the return window, and am on the fence about keeping it.

Did you have any experience with unwanted noise? Here's my board:

[​IMG]

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I had a noise issue but it was due to the power supply you need a decent regulated supply, if you do a search and find a pic of my pedal board you can see what I use, again though this might not be the problem but lots of people had problems with this pedal and noise due to the adaptor.

You don't need the line 6 one just a decent one and maybe a dedicated one I don't think it likes to share power, seems to work fine with a power brick but I think that might be because it's a big different to your normal adaptor

Just a thought.

12. I'm using a One-Spot...which has reliably (and noise-less-ly) powered up to 12 pedals, so I basically refuse to add another adaptor for just this one pedal. Seems pretty stupid to me that this might be a flaw in the design. I'll keep dinking with it and see if I can clean it up. If not, back it goes. I'm not that much of a delay freak anyway, I just like the stereo outs.

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah man like I said just a thought

14. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Very cool digital delay pedal. I played with it for a while in a store last weekend. However, as mentioned, It was making some weird crackling noises. I'm pretty sure it was the line 6 that was the culprit, because I tried several other effects through the same amp/bass/cord configuration with no noise problems. Anyway, I was thinking about getting it-but the noises changed my mind.
    Edit: I wasn't using a power supply, just a 9v.

Mo'phat what happened with yours?

Anyone else have this problem?

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Loads of people seem to have a problem with noise on the echo park, I don't know why mine doesn't, tho I have never met or heard of any one in England that suffers this problem so maybe it's something odd with the power supplies and earths and stuff.

Line 6 know about this problem and are still trying to fix it.

My advice, try before you buy and if it hums get a dl4

Hope this helps

Mine is still silent peeps :spit: :p

16. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Thanks, Until they fix the problem I think i'll pass on this pedal. I was hoping to cure (affordably) a bad case of GAS for an analog delay. :rollno:

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
  18. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    hi!
    I have a question.

DL4 = true bypass
    EchoPark = not true bypass

yes? no?

also..anyone try the carl martin delayla xl ?

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah I think its buffered, I think I'm not sure of course, but to me there is no noticable loss of tone, just because something isn't true bypass doesn't mean its bad.

20. Update...I ended up taking mine back, trading it for a Boss DD-6, taking that back, and currently don't have a delay on my board. I don't really miss it all that much.

The hiss never went away, even when I turned all the flourescents off or took it to my studio.

Moral of the story: Always wait until version 2.0 comes out and all the bugs are fixed.