1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

LINE 6 VARIAX 700

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Divesh, Aug 10, 2007.

1. Divesh

Divesh

Aug 5, 2007
    I'm thinking of replacing my Ibanez rd500 for this bass, as it is dirt-cheap now for some reason.
    Anyone know why may this be?
    Opinions and recommendations, please, those who know or own this bass.

2. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    there is not much love on these parts for this bass.. I had one and sold it, and I have regretted it ever since.. Its a fun bass..

Things that I would mention that were negatives.
    It was heavy
    The headstock makes it look cheap

Things that were great
    Sound
    No noise
    good feel
    nicely put together
    Sound
    Sound

Get one you will like it..

3. Divesh

Divesh

Aug 5, 2007
    Seems like you like Ibanez, you think it's better than my Ibanez rd500?

4. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    well depends on the situation

with the line6 you need to be powered so for live gigs I would take the Ibanez. Even though you can use batteries in the line6 it eats them faster than a fat kid at krispy kreme.

but for recording I would take the line6

its not a replacement for any bass as its more of a recording tool then a gigging one..

Thats what I miss about it.

5. Divesh

Divesh

Aug 5, 2007
    See, I give more importance to gigging than to recording, I don't record much, I do gig quite a lot. Still Variax is better or not? Why it's not good for gigging?

6. ibanezcollector

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    like said before it needs to be plugged into a power supply which means

A.) you stand real close to your amp during a gig and use the supplied power supply

or

B.) you use batteries and they will die QUICK.

7. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    Uh, if you have a powered pedalboard, it's no different that using any other bass. Keep the powered DI box on the pedalboard and use the supplied cable from the Variax to the DI and you're all set.

And, I disagree about the Variax being better for recording than for gigging. For recording, I can use a Precision, Jazz, upright, 12 string, etc whenever I see fit. For gigging, take the Variax and dial in the model you want. Sure, they don't sound as good as the real thing, but it beats hauling a bunch of different basses around.

I used my Variax 705 on my last gig and thought the upright, Stingray, P-bass, and 12 string models did a respectable job.