Line 6 Variax 706 bass and PODxt pro pre

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by unatratnag, Feb 8, 2006.

1. My efforts of searching PODxt and Line 6 came up with nothing so I start this thread. I might have missed one on this but i generally have ignored POD and line 6 variax posts because i never really liked the one bass i played and hated the PODs. Always felt that you'd need to real thing rather than mimic it and I still do; But they ran this article in SUBshop of bass world and had sound samples of it so I thought I'd give them a shot...

It's actually pretty interesting. I guess they were saying this Variax has a bunch of outputs that come in handy with recording in different medians; I don't know how much time and effort was put into recording most of these, but they sounded better than I remember for the simulating of all the sounds. Still when I try and use the pod it makes (any bass) ... i dunno the word, somewhere inbetween quiet, compressed, and a little lifeless is the word that i would use if i could think of one to describe what the POD does to me... but it's getting better. Still don't care for the Variax though personally, but that was demoing at a store, it sounds better thru this recording *shrug* But what do I know, some of Billy Sheehans' recordings have sounded great thru his POD. I claim not to be a master of mixing.

EDIT: Just thought of the word. "tame". But I suck at mixing... so I'm not surprised
  2. IotaNet

IotaNet Supporting Member

Interesting that you'd post this because in this month's issue of BassGuitar mag, (our very own) Ed Friedland did a very in-depth feature on that very subject!

It doesn't appear to be accessable from the BG website but the issue is on the newsstands right now - it has Mike Dirnt on the cover.

FWIW, he gave the combo very good reviews!