Line 6 Variax BASS?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ingemar, Oct 21, 2003.

1. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    How about mailing Line 6 and beg them to pruduce a Variax BASS?(I think the guitar version is a good tool) If there is a lot of players who want such product, they probably will build one.
    I myself mailed the European info at and asked for this features:
    *As lightweight as possible.
    *Maybe a fivestring version (I suppose you can't manage to fix a "tune down in reel time" effect on a fourstring, wish is preferable)
    *Vintage and Hi tech sounds
    *Good Jazz,P-Bass and Ricky sounds
    *Upright sounds
    *Hollowbody sounds
    *Eightstring (octave)sounds
    *Acoustic sounds
    Is features that instantly comes to my mind
  2. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    what's wrong with the V-bass?
    You can use that with almost any bass and get all the options you mentioned.
  3. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    I think the V-Bass unit is verry good butI find the MIDI p-up and controlunit hard to attach on most basses.Otherwise it's a good system ( I allmost bought it some 6 monts ago).Specially the Upright sounds and the De/Tune funktion.
  4. Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I think you will see something like this at Jan NAMM...

I asked at last years NAMM and they said if I were interested in that, I should keep an eye out for Jan NAMM or something cryptic like that.
  5. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    I've thought about aplying the V-Bass system to a Fender Aerodyne Jazzbass.Think it sould look cool on that all black bass and the missing of control plate "bell" seems like garante for enough space. But I'm vorried about the curved body top on that bass.As I understand the MIDI p-up has to sit flat.I have'nt found any Aerodyne (only seen pictures) to test, but maybe You know if it would work?
  6. Ingemar

Sep 12, 2000
    When I mailed Line6 in this issue I got this answer:
    Hello, and thank you for your interest in our products.
    We can't really comment specifically about products in development, but we definitely won't leave out bass players.
    Please let us know if there are any special features you would like to see in a Variax Bass.
    Best regards,Eric Kirkland Variax Product Manager

Then I got the idea about "bomb"them with "We want It" mail
  7. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    not sure on the archtop body, but I'm planning a fretless with an internal GK2b p'up. That way there's no module to worry about attaching.
    With my present 2 units, I find the most convenient way of attaching the module is to put it on the strap. The cable from the P'up to the 'pod' is long enough to allow this.

What I'd REALLY like to see is a Roland-ready bass. There's always the RMC piezo route, but those things aren't cheap!
  8. 2pods

Mar 27, 2002
    I remember last year bugging the Line6 rep for any info on a bass amp.
    He said thy tried and gave up.

Pity as I think that might have been handier than a Variac bass
  9. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Line 6 Variax Bass??
    Yeah...I'd buy one! Guitarist in our group has one and it's awesome. He can get a ton of different, cool sounds out of it just by turning a knob. I don't think it'd be a gig instrument but he said he's sure gonna use it in the studio.
  10. me thinks you need to reconsider Vbass once again. Once you do get the GK2b pickup installed and calibrated the skys the limits w/ the bass.

I understand that the add-on GK2b is big and that control pod is a pain in the butt to secure but you can do a number of things to the control Pod to get it outta the way. Beside velcro'ing to your strap, there are Gk holders which sit over you bridge and of course you can attach it to the backside of the guitar.

For the internal Gk2b (I have one being installed on my new Dingwall) it requires 5 new holes in the body and all in close proximity to the control cavity, so you might want to think about where and how the controls will be laid out.
    Anyway the vbass does pretty much whats your asking except its not built into a bass and actually for my money i would prefer it that way. I love the feel and playability of the Dingwall bass and my opinion is i would prefer to attach a module (internal or not) to an amazing bass to get outside tones than play an Okay playing/feeling bass that has a ton of tones.
    Don't get me wrong if Variax comes out w/ a Varibass, I'll prolly be first in line. But right now Vbass does everything pretty darn good.
    As you know the Vbass has good bass models, very good upright models, the synth's (while limited in sounds) are excellent, and you can even mix in the tone of your bass.
  11. citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    I think there will be a fretless mode!
    It could be nice to have a 6 string, but there is no 7 string guitar, so i think it s a dream, like 5 string too!
  12. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    One of my guitarists has one, and we find just the opposite to be true. If you're in the studio, and really want those tones, the Variax isn't quite good enough for that. We use a real acoustic, strat, les paul, etc. (I use the VBass, and same goes for that). For live use, however, it is a blessing! We still get the different tones, but carry 3 less guitars to each gig. In a live setting, the guitar simulations are good enough to get the general idea, where the more subtle tonal variations of the real instruments would get lost anyways.

FCM3 brings up a good point about the VBass, too: you can blend the tone of your bass's standard output, too. Get some interesting blends with that. A Stingray doubled on a Jazz with the bridge pickup soloed? Don't think that'll be possible with the Varibass. Upright and electric together? Don't think that'll be done, either. The VBass also has all the effects and other modelings, including amps.
    It's much easier plugging that into the wall, too, then plugging in the foot switch for the Variax, then making sure you have a TRS cable to power the guitar. When our singer wants to use a wireless with his Variax, he has to use the AA batteries the guitar runs on when not using a TRS cable, and those are only good for about 4 hours max.