Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 Variax Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    This is a new bass by Line 6 that has all kinds of bass models built into it. Seems pretty cool I would like to play one. has everything from an upright to a Modulus to a Warwick thumb.

2. 00soul

00soul

Jan 4, 2005
    seal beach, ca
    they have a video of it being used on their website. looks interesting

3. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    Yes I checked out the site and was most impressed by the upright sound...

4. fiebru1119

fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    wow.. that upright sound sure sounded nice!

5. far0n

far0n

Apr 28, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    I tried one last week. There aren't many things that impress me thesedays but I left the music shop with a smile on my face. Very very good. The thing I've found frustrating with basses I've owned in the past is that the ones that have sounded great when slapped, usually sound mediocre when played fingerstyle and vice versa.... my Kubicki factor springs to mind !

The Variax gives you the opportunity to play a completely different bass for slap stuff and then swap back to something else for the fingered/picked stuff. Very impressive. :D

6. If you do a search, you'll find that the Variax bass has been discussed thoroughly in the recent past. Most people seem to be quite unimpressed with it. Myself, I've only picked one up without plugging it in, and I found it to be a solid feeling bass, with a nice, playable neck. Can't say that I'm very interrested in test driving one through an amp, though. Mainly because of the many sound alternatives. Sure, it's nice to have a vast array of sounds available at the flick of a switch, but I don't feel a need for just that at this point in time. I'm easily confused, and don't much like a too great freedom of choice, you see.

7. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Whoa, yeah, thats impressive. But there's something that keeps me from having GAS for one...

......hey, imagine a 50 year old "Vintage" Variax? No way :rolleyes:

8. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    I bought one a few days ago, after weeks of deliberation and a couple of test drives. I think it's a nice bass, well made and very playable. It's not bad looking either, pretty much a fender jazz shape and action, but the neck doesn't really match the body too well cosmetically. Maybe an excuse to get a Warmoth neck with block inlays? The sounds are pretty authentic for the most part. I have or have had several of the models represented (rick, alembic, modulus flea, fender jazz) and have played most of the others. It is more comfortable and playable than a lot of them, and there are a lot more tonal options than any single bass. This is the only axe you need to bring to a gig. When the Bass PODxt Live comes out in a few weeks, it will interface directly with it. It's too early for me to give a high recommendation, but I'll just say, so far, so good.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I found that it was an excellent bass for the money, but wasn't perfect on many of the tones, but still sounded great in it's own way.

10. mrbungle

mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    It sounds like a good alder bodied bass with some built in EQ and dynamics presets. The piezo pickup causes some artifacts on upper harmonics on every model, and the dynamics aren't as expressive as basses with 'real' magnetic pickups.

The sounds that are based on other good alder bodied basses (J and P) are good, but for example Warwick model is not even close to a real W. Still, it might be good enough in a live situation. The acoustic models also aren't very realistic but very usable. The synth doesn't track very well and doesn't have enough options to tweak for good enough minimoog imitation.

11. Cortobass

Cortobass

Apr 18, 2005
    I have the same opinion.
    I played this bass live and I was more than satisfied by the sound.

Fred

12. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    the variax basses (and guitars for that matter) are clever and a good idea, but their tones are somewhat synthetic; which is why many people, including myself, have been turned away by them

13. Cortobass

Cortobass

Apr 18, 2005
    Synthetic???
    You can get very warm and very woody sound from this bass. Did you really try it?

Fred, Variax owner

14. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    i've heard demos of it and when i said synthetic i meant they didn't sound as warm as the real thing. Don't get me wrong its a great bass, but i'd rather own one of the real things, instead of a clone of lots of different basses.

15. Cortobass

Cortobass

Apr 18, 2005
    OK.... :rollno:
    The demos on the Line 6 website are not the real thing, you know. 1 - The files are compressed, 2 - Line6 used a bass pod to modify the sound. Thus, these demos have no interest. Try by yourself.

Fred
    Give your ears a chance...

16. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Pretty much on the money. The harmonics sound satisfactory on most models, but you can tell there is something strange about them sometimes. The worst are the 12-string and 8 string simulations. It depends how much of a perfectionist you are, whether it will bother you or not. Overall it's a very practical instrument, and very playable. I thought it was a toy at first but it's much more than that. And I haven't had this much fun with an instrument in a long time. That's important to me, and enhances creativity.