Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 Variax Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FenderBassMan10, Jun 9, 2005.

1. Anyone have any expirience with or own the Variax bass by Line 6. Im looking at new basses and this crossed my mind becuase its like 24 in one. I don't know though, I don't like the whole idea of a "digital bass". Any thoughts?

2. Jonas.

Jonas.

Jun 2, 2005
    i think these basses are very intresting, and good, but they sound synthetic and fake to some extent (which is no surprise) but they are definately good bang for your buck.

crikey, i got my head bitten off last time i wrote that

3. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Well I won't bite your head off, but I will strongly disagree. Not all the models sound completely authentic, but I wouldn't say that any of them sound synthetic. They all sound like real basses, woody, thumpy, twangy, etc. Nothing thin or digital or processed about the sound (except the synth sounds which I'm not crazy about), though there is a slight problem with harmonics on the 8 and 12 string models.
    I do have one, and I'm pretty much thrilled with it. It's not only very well made with a great action, but a lot of fun to play and twiddle with. And I got rid of a Modulus Flea to get it, which I just couldn't meld with after three years of trying. No problem, this bass has a Flea model if I ever miss it!
    One thing I've found, is that most of the models require a little tweaking of the controls to really get sounding right. Luckily the tone controls are very powerful. Just a slight addition of bass really brings out the sound of most of the models.
    I've been playing it for a couple of weeks now, and still very impressed by its flexibility...also I'm having fun and that's important. I haven't tried it in a live environment yet so I can't vouch for it in that domain. When I do, I'll report back.

4. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    I have a deal with Line 6 and was there about 2 months ago or so and tried them. I think they are a cool idea.

They play well, feel like a fender neck. I thought the "basses" inside sounded good.

They are very versatile and a hell of a deal for the money. Great bass for a working semi/pro doing various styles of music. Most people could never hear the EXACT way each bass sounds. What I mean is take 98% of the guys on hear and they wouldn't be able to tell the difference; on tape or other wise.

That being said, I wouldn't buy one. Just not my thing. I like a bass that in and of itself is versatile. Meaning that what every style I play it works so well that I wouldn't need 24 basses in one. That bass to me is a Sadowsy.

Now, most people can't afford a Sadowsky. I am very lucky and humbled that I can.

If I couldn't and was playing in a variety of bands OR in a band that played every style of music out there, I'd buy one.