1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 Variax Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattiarea15, Feb 25, 2008.

1. mattiarea15

mattiarea15

Feb 25, 2008
    riiite

i think i want one but im not too hot on the technical stuff soooo

are they any good?!?! i had a quick dabble on one and it seemed the dogs!!

ive read about this DI box thing that comes with em but can i use my wireless - without having to put batteries in it. so it'd go lead from DI box into wireless then id be roaming free :D?

any thoughts?!

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    well, youre either going to need to plug into the box with the special cord, or put batteries in the bass. either way, the bass needs power, which cant be transmitted wirelessly. you could plug your bass into the box (which has to be plugged into a power outlet, BTW) and plug your wireless transmitter into that, if you wanted, however.

as far as the bass itself, its usually a love/ hate kind of thing. i loved mine when i had it, but i wanted something simpler and, more importantly, passive. it does have a lot of different voices, so if thats what you like, go for it. if you want faithful, accurate recreations of classic instruments which are going to fool even the nit-pickiest of tone freaks, look elsewhere.

3. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I wouldnt say that..

I fooled 100s of people with it 2 seperate times.. The Variax against the real models.

dont think of it as models, think of it as tones. There is some videos of it in my youtube link below.

Its a great bass but I wanted a 5 and couldnt find one. So I sold my 4 stupid move on my end.

4. Yeah, the 5s are rare as hell. Where can one get one?

The 4s can be picked up new for the discounted price of $500.

The thing that bothers me is that one has to plug in [power] because the batteries will only work for 2 hours I understand.

5. I wish Warmoth made variax bodies for basses like they do guitars. I really want to pick up one and put the electronics in a new lefty body, since Line 6 locked us out of the process.

6. How are these basses when slapping? Do the piezo pups send the right signal to the cpu [I assume there is one] to get the right sound for the right bass [*24 in total].

Can I use a "drop D" tuner on one of these [4 stringer] things?

* sounds available:

61 Jazz w/rounds

60 Jazz w/flats

2004 Jazz delux [active] w/rounds

Jaco Jazz

63 P bass w/rounds

58 P w/flats

77 Music Man SR w/rounds

2003 Modulus Flea w/rounds

71 Rick 4001 w/rounds

63 Rick 4001 w/flats

66 Danelectro Longhorn w/rounds

63 Hofner 500/1 w/flats

63 Gibson Thunderbird w/rounds

66 Gibson EB-2D w/flats

2002 MTD 535 [35 scale] w/rounds

2003 Warwick Thumb w/rounds

78 Alembic Long Scale w/rounds

84 Steinberger XL2 w/rounds

68 Hagstrom H8 [8 stringer]

94 Hamer B12A [12 stringer]

2003 Tacoma Thunderchief w/rounds

49 Kay M-1 [upright]

MiniMoog Synth

Modern Synth

http://line6.com/variaxbass/sounds.html

7. I fooled around in a music shoppe once for quite a while on a 4-string variax...

my impressions were overall positive...the Precision and Jazz models, IMO were spot on....some of the other patches were quite good, too...I really dug the MTD patch for the modern vibe...

the bass weighs a TONNE, though...but the neck was quite comfy...if it wasn't so dear at the time, I would have considered taking it home.

8. optikhog

optikhog

Apr 2, 2007
    St. Peters, MO
  9. Onebass

Onebass

Nov 6, 2005
    Lancs,UK
    I had one and it got lost in a live mix very easy and did'nt like the very small lag it had,I so wanted to like it after waiting ages from the first annoucement to release for it but could not get over the cheap feel either , Nice try but no cigar.

10. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    exactly. i wouldnt buy it if you want the exact tone of all of the basses its supposed to model, but if youre just looking for a lot of different tones, its really adaptable to most any situation.

FWIW, i never noticed delays or tracking errors of any kind (other than the synth models). the batteries last longer than 2 hours, too. if you use a 9 volt, its 2 hours, if you use AAs, its 14 hours.

11. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    Keep your eyes open.

I jumped on the 5 when they all got discounted. The only ones I've seen have been on eBay and they either get pulled(sold off eBay? because the seller gets a big offer) or sold for much more than when they were in stores.

For wireless:
    Fill it with AA's before a gig and you're fine. They say many hours but I've not pushed mine LIVE past 5 hours. I've not used the power supply/DI except at home or studio. The amps I use live all have DI's so it's one less thing to carry and hookup.

Pros: Tones galore and some models are VERY close.
    Cons: Doesn't have a T-Bird body(ok, my preference), the 5 weighs a good bit which helps with sound but can get tiresome live.

Great bass for the price FOR WHAT IT IS(piezo->models).

Transplants can be done to have a bass with both.
    Tranplant but kept model-only:http://www.exit45.com/VaxIV
    Transplants with both:http://www.exit45.com/guitar

12. yugo

yugo

Mar 28, 2006
    i know some people love line 6 basses, i don't like them at all, i think they sound and feel really cheap

13. I have a 705 and played it live for about 10 months. I always used the box for power. It never got lost in the mix.

As far as feeling cheap, IMHO it feels every bit as solid, and comfortable as my Musicman and Fender basses.

To me, the 705 doesn't feel that much heavier than my other 5 string basses.

The only reason I'm not using it now, is that I'm using the 4 stringers with this new band and I don't require the extended range of the 5's.

The tones or "models" of the Variax sound fine to me, and are quite useful in both live, and recording environments.