Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line 6 Variax

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tony moore, Aug 13, 2005.

1. I've read all the previous posts, and I'm hoping to hear from someone who has owned one for enough time to get really familiar with it. Sooooo, would such a person care to share their experiences?

Also, anyone with one care to share a pic with the pickguard removed?

It seems no store in Cincy is willing to get one for folks to try...

Tony

2. If you read "all the previous posts," why is this necessary?

Before someone comes in here to jump down my throat, I owned the bass for about six months before selling it.

The thing is heavy. Some sounds are usable. The battery consumption is ridiculous if you do not carry the DI Box around. The synth sounds do not track well, nor do the upright sounds or the 8/12 string. The other sounds are all individually mediocre. Do not buy this instrument if you want a specific bass that it features but also would like to have a few others at the turn of the knob.

As far as the picture with no pickguard, I can't help you there.

3. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Well I've had mine for about 2 months now. No problems here. I like most of the sounds. It is very playable and comfortable, especially if you are used to a Fender Jazz. No problems tracking the 8 or 12, though the harmonics sound a bit wierd. The synth sounds as presets are just raw tools that are meant to be tweaked (set at the middle it is a blend of two different patches and won't track right). You can get them tracking well if you play around with it. Like the POD series, not every preset is plug and play. It is meant to be messed with, and is flexible enough to get a wide variety of tones.
    The pickguard has a cavity underneath I think. Won't look right without it.
    You hear a lot of netative reviews about it here. But I still like mine. Of course it will never replace my Alembic or even my Fender, but it is a nice instrument IMO. As always, try it before you buy it. Flame away haters... :bag:

4. Thanks for the realistic post relayer!

I'm not looking for the holy grail, just something to chase the muse without having to drive a semi to the gig...

Is the cavity just beneath the knobs? I'm thinking of making the pickguard smaller if possible...

Would you say the sounds on the Line 6 website accurately represent the bass?

Thanks!

Tony

PS - I have a feeling folks flame it because it's not as hip as a vintage or boutique bass. And that's cool, I'm very guilty of vanity myself...

5. I'm guilty, I must admit!

I could never have it in my farm of ten Fodera instruments and a custom mansion made of buckeye burl by Sadowsky.

Seriously, you wanted a genuine response and I gave you one, now it just seems like you're looking for someone to say what YOU want to hear.

Who knows, try it, YMMV.

6. Got to admit; he's got a point. Either welcome the bad with the good reviews, or just start a thread of "Only Write Here If You Love This Bass" responses. (...but I'll bet you get some "crashers" in that one, too.)

Sounds like you really want one, you're just looking for justification to buy it. Do they give a fair amount of "satisfaction guarantee" time? Maybe you should just get one, and then work with it and form your own opinion and if it doesn't work out, get your money back. Just a thought.

7. I have always been a lead guitar player, until the last 3 months.. I chose this as my main instrument because it has a lot of versatility in it. I like the feel of a big instrument like the jazz... this is a big bass. I love the sound of slapping a warwick thumb, but I like the feel of this huge hunk of wood hanging down low. I really like the ability to turn 1 knob & sound completely different. However, as time goes by - I find myself finding small issues with this instrument, on each model. I believe if you are a tone freak - Line 6 just won't hardly ever be good enough. I think that my ability to judge tone is quite good - and I own their flagship Vetta amp. THE VETTA IS GREAT, but a classic tube amp it is not. The Variax guitar line is great, but a classic (or modern) instrument, they are not. It is fun to turn a knob & have a completely different rig that sounds about 90% perfect to the original.... but, cost/benefit ratio of Line 6 equipment is why it sells. It can be fabulous for some, & horrible for others. If you know what you are after, you will find more satisfaction in purchasing that exact instrument. Trying to fill that need with a multi-purpose tool won't do.

www.samedaymusic.com - they have a 60 day return policy. You can test drive anything you want & only be out return shipping. Check it out. I keep buying filter pedals - even the expensive 'end-all, be-all' pedals... and haven't found "MY" pedal yet.... so, check out the Variax bass - it might be right for you, it might not...

I hope this was a helpful, realistic view. The Variax bass feels like a big, heavy Jazz bass. It sounds like many different instruments, not all of which are 100% accurate to anything in particular. However, I like mine. :)

8. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Well it's not for everyone, but then what bass is? Lots of people don't like Fenders, Alembics, whatever. I don't like Spectors, myself.
    I haven't taken the pickguard off. I'll give it a try sometime this weekend and get back to you.
    I'm wondering if Warmoth is going to offer up bodies for this bass like they do for Line 6 guitars.