1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 Variax

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thorplaysbass, Jun 28, 2012.

1. Curious to know everybody's personal opinion on these instruments. **Please in your post, state whether or not you have played a line 6 variax bass before.

2. My guitar player has a line 6 bass that he has let me borrow. I really like the electronics. While they do not sound 100% like the original, many of them are close enough to fool most people. I feel it is a great bass for a cover band. I really enjoy the synth sounds.

I am however not a huge fan of the bass itself. The neck, body, and hardware are nothing special. The neck is similar to a jazz in shape, with a glossy finish. The body is a large slab P bass shape.

I plan to purchase one myself so that I can gut it, and put the electronics in a bass that I enjoy the ergonomics of.

3. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    I don't have any experience with the bass, but the acoustic they used to make was great.

I never figured out why they didn't sell that system as an add on for existing instruments.

4. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 5, 2004
    Mount Vernon, Illinois
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    My guitar playin' friend just got a Variax 700, and he's totally into the myriad of guitar sounds he can pull out of it.

I think the differences in models of guitars (everything from Les Paul to acoustics) is a wider, more useful sound palette, but I'd sure like to take a Variax bass for a test drive!

5. I never thought of that, it is odd that they never sold the electronics alone. They'd probably sell more of those then they would of the instruments themselves. I just gigged with one last night and it seemed to be a hassle for the sound guy got some reason. It seems to have more use in recording then anything else, the upright sound seems to be more realistic then I assumed also

6. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I found it more useful in a studio environment...

It can let you save money: you simply dial in instead of post product a, yet, "digital" sonic resolution. So much so that you don't jump from a stack to another, from pedal to pedal, from eq to eq...

Then, your engineer need just to eventually add compression and reverb, but the job is nearly done.

Otherwise, live, you MUST go with D.I. into the resident P.A. or, amp by amp (if you got no self equipment allowed, as in certain "festivals" tend to happen, especially nowadays), you only find how your emulation approximate undiscriminate crap

Cheers,
    Wallace

7. Rickengeezer

Rickengeezer

Feb 25, 2005
    Central Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Steve Clayton Accessories
    Ditto. I have the 5-string version (705). Sounds pretty good DI'ed, feels like a quality instrument, but my impression of it for live performance trying to cut through a rather noisy band was that what mainly came through was a piezo-like sound, regardless of the setting. It didn't last very long in my live rotation.

8. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Warmoth used to sell replacement necks and bodies for those basses, but I believe they stopped when the basses themselves didn't take off.

9. UK_Lefty

UK_Lefty

Jun 5, 2012
    London
    Never had one but the Line6 bass "modelling" amps are awful so I wouldn't be interested in the bass guitar.