1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line-6....worth it?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by INF1AME5, Sep 20, 2008.

1. hello, i just demo'd a new Line-6 LowDown LD175 Combo today in the store and it really impressed me with the tone and volume level. Does anyone have any info to pass along about the Line-6 amps? are they worth it? are they just gimicks? do they hold up the test of time? why did the synth feature NOT work? is the 300W version too much for a single 15?

any help appreciated!
    God Bless!
    -Leeland

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My impression of them is that if you get any of them, get the 15". That's not a bad amp that has a little oomph to it. The rest...eh...They're OK amps in my opinion...not great but good. They do a lot of things well, but they do a hundred good tones instead of one great one, and that's what I'm looking for.

3. hey

hey

Jul 8, 2006
    Wisconsin
    I used to bash Line 6's stuff a lot in the past, but really, they're actually pretty good for what you get. Like Jimmy said, you won't get a truly impressive tone out of it, but a vast amount of them are pretty good.

4. they seem cool to me never tried one though, anyone tried the studio 110 model?

5. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I tried the studio 110.
    Very good I must say.

I was tempted to buy one.
    I tested the line6 after I got my Ashdown Perfect Ten, and kinda regret going for the Ashdown rather then paying a bit more for the Line6.

But I'm in the market for a bigger amp since I'm jamming a lot with other musicians and a small practice combo just isn't enough anymore. So the Studio110 is not on my GAS list.

If you like the real-life amps the Lowdown has modelled, then it's a good buy.

Amp modelling is still considered "the devils work" by so many, but I think Line6 does a good job at it.
    I love the Eden modelling on the Lowdowns.
    Even the Ampeg SVT modelling is okay by me.
    (Okay, it will never sound like the real thing, but what do you expect.)

If Line6 made amps without trying to replicate "classic" amps and try to create their own sound, I would definately consider one.

As a small practice amp (or perhaps even recording) the Line6 Studio 110 is one of the best on the market. I even think the smallest is the best buy of the entire LowDown series. If you need a bigger amp then I'd rather go for a different brand with "their own sound".