1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line 6 X3 or XT live

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sk8, Mar 1, 2008.

1. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I have done searching but it doesn't work to well as i'm searching on 2 characters and it don't work :D

Basically i'm after advice/opinions etc on whether its worth paying the extra for the X3 live over the XT live or should i go the extra mile and go for the XT pro?

I'm seriously considering dumping my singles for a pod and having owned a low down amp really liked the modeling limited though it was on the lowdown.

thanks in advance :bassist:

2. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I'm going to bump this for you because I'm having similar thoughts. I have a Pod XT Live and it seems to work well enough. I'm sure if I bought the bass pack for it, it would sound better. Or I could just not worry about the amp setting and use it straight for effects.

Is it really worth the extra $100 for the bi-amp sounds? Although I'm not sure if you would need the Pro version, which seems to be the exact same thing, just as a rackmount. Actually, you might not need the Live version when you could get the smaller Pod version, and maybe a footswitch if you want. Believe me, I wish I didn't have to lug this thing around.

In all honesty though, I'm thinking about going to individual effects route because honestly, I just want a looper/delay and an overdrive/distortion/fuzz pedal that I have yet to find. But that's just me.

3. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    The XT Live does have the bi-amping feature, the x3 does not. I like the x3 as it has more effects and the guitars stuff. I also like the XT Live.

4. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    King, if my bi-amping you mean stereo outputs, then you're right, the XT Live does have it. I'm not sure about the X3. When I said bi-amping I mean it has the feature of letting you set up two amps for two different tones or...something...

5. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    I meant that the Bass Pod XT Live (not the POD XT Libe with the bass pack) does have the bi-amp feature...meaning that you can send the lows to one amp (external) and the highs to another (external). Stereo and using 2 amp models are a different thing altogether.

6. stoneboy26

stoneboy26

Jul 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: Thump Music
    I just got an x3 live on the weekend. Love the amp models, but am yet to find an overdrive sound I am happy with. even with a lot of tweaking. Other effects are very nice though...

never tried the XT model though, so can't compare.

Will still be using my single pedals for my main gig for a while though. This is more for home practise, some side projects (where I don't need to lug gear for a rehearsal) and for some PC recording when i upgrade the PC.

7. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    Stoneboy, have you tried the Frankenstein amp model? I really like it. Warm, tubey, and a little bit of overdrive fuzz.

8. stoneboy26

stoneboy26

Jul 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Will try it out tonight!! Thanks man.

I am digging the SVT model, but trying to find a subtle OD sound to go with it is killing me. :(

9. I bought a x3 live and plugged it in when i got home all i have to say is waste of money. The amp modelling and cab modelling was absolutley usless for me pretty much every setting just sounded distorted and sh**. Some of the effects werent bad but to tell you the truth buy single pedals. it will cost a little more but is 100000x better.

10. stoneboy26

stoneboy26

Jul 11, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Given I already have a lovely collection of FX pedals, i know where you are coming from. The X3 is definitely not plug and play, something I noticed at the store when I tried it (numerous times), but there were some things there that grabbed me.

Live I will probably still use my single pedals, but for practising at home, experimenting and having some general fun, it will do great for me.

I will agree though, it isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I am not sure if it is even mine. But I am enjoying playing with it and trying out a bunch of sounds on it for the moment.

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    XT = NO bi-amping. stereo output, but no dual rigging

X3 = Bass POD/Guitar POD/All the packs in ONE unit. Oh, and you can run two signal chains at the same time

Nevermind that the X3 is more powerful CPU-wise, which means more "knobs" on the FX and stuff like that

12. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    OK, for most people on this board, bi-amping is splitting the lows to one (physical not modeled) signal path/amp/speaker and the highs to another.

That said, there is a big difference in the POD XT Live and the Bass POD XT Live.
    1. Bass POD XT Live has the biamping, cannot accept additional model packs (add ons), has a slightly different EQ section and has no stereo effects.
    http://www.line6.com/basspodxtlive/
    2. The POD XT Live has no biamping, can accept additional model packs including the bass models, has a different eq and can do stereo effects.

There may be other differences, but those are the most obvious.

One other note. If you buy the bass POD XT, the sounds are not transferable to the X3.

The X3 you can run 2 amp models at the same time and to different signal paths. You could run a modeled ampeg and a modeled Eden, and blend them into one signal or 2 separate signals. You cannot biamp by splitting the lows and highs.

I am not trying to pick a fight, but I have owned the Bass POD XT Live and the X3. I thought some of the regular POD XT Live features were cool in that you could have the guitar and bass and all the effects in one unit versus just the bass. There are differences in the output functionality though. The X3 is more like 2 regular XT Lives than it is the Bass POD XT Live.

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Hehe, forgot about bi-amping having multiple defs

You can just run each signal path at a different EQ etc, on the X3, and acheive something simmilar to the xts bi-amping

I think the reason i never think of the xt having bi-amping is that i never run the output out of the L/R outputs, only the headphones and USB. Hence i always think of bi-amping as runnin 2 rigs

Hope that all makes sense....`

14. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Do you sing?

Do you play guitar also, or just bass?

Do you plan to use it for recording too, or just for live stuff? If you're going to use it in the studio or for home recording, it might be cool to have the guitar & vox stuff handy as well.

Personally, I'm considering selling my XT Live (or keeping it to use as a back-up) and getting an X3.

Also, the bass tones in the X3 are more advanced/better quality, from what I hear.

15. King David

King David

Dec 13, 1999
    Indiana
    To be honest, I do not notice much difference in the sound quality. I have heard and I guess I do agree that the mid and high end are more defined. I do like having all the guitar stuff available. I do want to play with having 2 amp sound at the same time.