line is getting complicated

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xcental34x, Feb 14, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm still plotting my rig, but I'm sure I will have use for the following effects, I'm just fretting over the best way to arrange them. My goal is to be able to use all the effects together, almost like three different channels: 1. clean normal sound 2. bass boosted, lows and mids cut sound 3. low end overdrive and other effects if needed. Here is the list of effects I plan on using:
    -Boss Bass EQ pedal
    -Boss Bass Limiter/Enhancer
    -Boss Bass Overdrive
    -Boss Noise Supressor
    -Zoom 506 (w/ expression pedal)
    -Ernie Ball VP Jr
    -DBX Subharmonic Synth
    -Tech 21 Sansamp RBI

I was thinking it might work best with something like

bass>Ernie Ball VP>Boss EQ > 2 channel loooper (loop 1: Boss Limiter>Boss Noise Suppressor>Boss Overdrive>Zoom 506; loop 2: Sansamp RBI, DBX Subharmonic Synth)>amp

Should I arrange it another way? The only thing I am certain on is the components I'm using. Whether you think I am crazy or not, each one serves a purpose, and I've tried and tested each one for what I want.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    OK, one of the more bizarre chains I've seen but if works for you then that's all that matters.

Won't you get some wild level mismatches bringing a preamp in/out of the signal chain prior to amp?

OK, so a few things:

1) You might want to think about a 2 loop loooper with master bypass. This lets you bring 1 or 2 loops into the chain with one switch rather than pedal dancing. If you're only ever going to use one at a time, then you probably don't need this.

2) What about the limiter and noise supressor after the distortion and/or zoom 506? Or given the level mismatch issues I'd imagine you will get with having a sub harmonic synth and preamp in loop 2, put the limiter in the signal chain after the loooper?