1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line level output to headphone?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mili, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Hello my friends,
    How can i get a nice and real sound through my headphone just with line level output of my Preamp/DI pedal(MXR M81)?
    What kind of device i need?
    Thank you in advance.

2. willsellout

willsellout Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2002
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Sweetwater Sales Engineer
    I use a Focusrite Scarlet 2i2 for recording. I plug my amps DI into it and plug into the headphone out.

Mili likes this.
  3. odrive

odrive

Jan 30, 2017
    I do this with my MXR M80 preamp and a stereo-to-mono adapter so both sides of the headphones work. It helps to use low-impedance headphones. I use the Sony MDR-V6 or ATH-M50x.

Also, instead of using a barrel adapter like the one linked above, I made a cable with a right-angle plug. The barrel adapter is bulky, especially once you plug the phones into it.

Mili and willsellout like this.
  4. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    A have a Scarlett solo but i want to use only pedal with headphone.
    Thank you for response.

5. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Really?!! I won't have problems with impedance? Line level is so weak!!!! I asked sweetwater the same question and he said i must use a mixer!!!

6. odrive

odrive

Jan 30, 2017
    All I know is it works great with my M80 and my Tech 21 BDDI. Just use low-impedance phones and use the 1/4 output (not the XLR). I haven't tried this with the M81, but at $2.50 for an adapter, it's worth trying, assuming you already have some good low-impedance headphones.

Mili likes this.
  7. Dr Reed

Dr Reed

Oct 2, 2009
    I go straight to an ART USB Dual Pre either direct from my Hartke LH1000 direct out or my Boss GT-10B.

I has 1/4, XLR and phantom power.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Mili likes this.
  8. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Thank you for response.
    I already have an Audio interface (Scarlett solo), and it's bus powered so i can't use it without PC. I'm looking for a cheap device like a Headphone preamp or tiny Mixers if they do the job. Sweetwater told me I'll have mono out through headphone with preamp and suggested me to get a mixer but I'm a newbie and I'm not sure this is the solution.

9. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    Mili likes this.
  10. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Thank you, this is exactly what I'm looking for.

11. Another alternative from Mooer

Mili likes this.
  12. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    This is interesting too, did you try it? Can it drive a 64 ohm headphone?
    Thank you so much.

13. I did not try it so can't answer your question.

For ampless headphone practice I treated myself with a DSM Noisemaker OmniCabSim. From what I've read the built in headphone amp is great.

Mili likes this.
  14. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Does anybody know about mixers? Is it possible to get stereo signal for headphone by mixers?(with instrument or line level signal input)

15. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    I already have Mesa boogie subway pre/DI and i love it. I'm just looking for a cheap but high quality way to drive my headphone by line level output of Mesa.

16. I
    I guess a small mixer or a dedicated headphone amp will do this.

Mili likes this.
  17. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    I have used a mixer (and still do, on occasion). But, I ran a Y cable, from a computer, to the mixer then hooked my bass to the instrument channel of the mixer (channel 1). Finally, I connected my headphone jack to the headphone output of the mixer. Just had fool around with the levels then I was able to practice, using songs and/or Youtube songs, from the computer.

Mili likes this.
  18. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    Yes, i think a cheap mixer like Behringer Xenyx 502 can do the job an overall is a versatile device to have.

el jeffe bass likes this.
  19. dlb1001

dlb1001

Jan 30, 2007
    Yeah, the Behringer will work. I think the mixer that I have is a Mackie.

Mili likes this.
  20. Dr Reed

Dr Reed

Oct 2, 2009
    You're welcome. I usually go direct into the ART which has actually gone down in price. Mine was originally $100, now I'm seeing them for $80 or so.

You're welcome. I have a Presonus HP4 four channel headphone amplifier which works nicely and was reasonably priced at approx. $100.

I usually go direct into the ART which has it's own power supply and into my laptop. My DAW is Apple Logic Pro X. The ART has actually gone down in price since I bought mine for $100, now I'm seeing them for $80 or so.

Good luck with your journey, there are many ways to get to the same destination : )