Line Out on my Fire Bass head is out of phase... need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by xJasonSmithx, Sep 18, 2003.

1. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    found out when i went in the studio sunday. luckily the tube compressor i as running through had a phase switch on it so it was no big deal. does anyone know someone who can build a custom xlr cable that is out of phase to make it even out? i figure this would be alot easyier than sending it back to peavey especialy because my band is about to start playing gigs soon.

thanks alot

2. It probably won't matter at all, but if you notice any problems with cancellation, simply take an XLR cable and on ONE end, reverse pins 2 and 3. That's it.
  3. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    easy enough if you do it but - I'd scratch build the cable and use colored cable. You really don't want to have one out of phase mic cable that looks like all the others ...

A better thought would be to take your head to ANY decent tech. that should be about a 5 minute job. If it's a new head, use a Factory Authorized tech so you don't screw with the warranty. I would think that it could be done under warranty but I have no experience with PV.
  4. Out of phase with respect to what?

That's a balanced output so it shouldn't make a lick of difference whether it's wired cross-polarity or not.
  5. xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Memphis, TN
    when recording i ran the line out and the preamp out both to the board and they were canceling each other out.

before that i had only used the line out at one gig a whlie back and they sound was just all out of whack.

im new to all of this, would switching the pins in a cable be really easy? it seems like it wouldn't be that bad. i would like to buy a really short patch cable that i could just have in my case don like that to run to the sound man's or something

thanks again

6. Oh, I see. You were using both the XLR and the 1/4" preamp out. As far as I know, the preamp out isn't balanced so you should be either using a standard mono instrument cable into the hi-z input on the console/preamp or going into a DI and then to the XLR nputs. Using a TRS 1/4" cabe out of the pre out can cause these kinds of problems. That's pretty strange. If reversing the polarity fixes the problem universally you could rewire the XLR jack on the amp, or just get a polarity flip adaptor. I think you can get them pre made, but you could also just get a short XLR and swap pins 2 and 3 on one connector. I have a bunch of them in my tool kit that I built myself. 5 minutes work if you're comfortable with soldering.
  7. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Jason, you poor pathetic soul. I'm offended that you didn't come to me with this question. j/k.

Advice: if you're new to it and don't feel you could do the job, take it to a local place, such Strings n Things and Yarbroughs. I've taken my head to Yarbrough's twice and had them fix my wireless twice. They may have crappy service, but they're good at fixing amps.