1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line out to DI to PA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimmygoodein, Apr 17, 2009.

1. jimmygoodein

jimmygoodein

Aug 31, 2004
    scotland
    What would the result be if I took my Line out from my Bass amp into a DI box which then went to the PA? Would this help settle issues such as hum and improve my low end?

I find when I send the line out to the desk straight it gives a really low output and crap tone with a low hum. Even the ground lift switch dosnt effect this.
    A sound guy recently put an insulating transformer inbetween and this helped big time, would a DI box do the same thing?
    Also, does anyone know how to make a insulting transformer with xlr input/output.

I use a mark bass LMK

Cheers

2. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    It would work :) I just started jamming at this practice place, and that's the way we are running mine. Don't have any noise issues to speak of on my amp (Peavey Tour 450). Even though I have DI already, the provided DI cable doesn't reach where I setup in the practice space.

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    why not use the XLR DI out on the amp?

but if the soundman prefers you use his DI, its best to plug your bass into the DI, then take the 1/4" out from the DI box to your amp.

4. If the line out on your amp sends a low signal with bad tone and hum straight to the desk, it will send that same signal to the DI. You might be able to get rid of the hum, but it won't solve your low signal or tone problems.

If your amp doesn't have a good sounding output, run bass -> DI -> split to amp and board.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to the above 2.