Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

line out to mixer cables

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Johnny5, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    I play an Ampeg BA210 (only 220W) so I've been relying on PA and soundguy support, via the line out jack on my amp. I'm not planning on upgrading my rig for some time (we don't play very big places, 100-150 capacity), so I'm wondering if there are good brands/types of cables that'll make my bass sound it's best. Price isn't an issue.

2. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Acid Free cables are best. Monster cables are what I use. I really don't notice a big difference in PA that are as small as what you run through, but they have a fantastic replacement warranty! You should be running Low Impeadance, so most general Mic cables will work perfectly.

3. one important thing for sound quality is that you use a balanced (3-pin) output...so if your line out is unbalanced (2-pin), get a quality DI. tone shaping isn't an important feature here, but a ground lift switch is a valuable thing to have.

4. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Fantastic Point

5. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Aw crap, now I have to research direct boxes? I haven't the faintest..
    Oh well, I guess I gotta know the gear at some point right?

6. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I thought the BA210 had an XLR out.:confused:

7. Johnny5

Johnny5

Mar 5, 2006
    Calgary, Canada
    Correct. Is there a difference? Oh god I sound like an amateur..

8. pbd

pbd Commercial User

Jul 17, 2003
    Metro Detroit
    owner Procables N Sound
    Johnny5, the XLR is the DI. You can use a standard Microphone cable for this. A heavier gauge is recommended for the longer run. This balanced signal will input into the mic input on the board vs the line input. Your board ops will have a different signal to play with. I prefer a DI (or integrated, as yours is) when mixing.

Good luck!

9. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    If the amp you have has a XLR out, then it is probably a Direct Low impeadence output. Sometimes they are not but mostly they are. I do know that I carry my own DI everywhere. Even though my SWR Bass 750 has a built in DI. I also carry my own Shure Beta 52 just in case a sound guy prefers mic's to DI's.. I am an equipment freak though.

10. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I use a BA115HP for the same type of venue size. I have the same amp configuration except for speakers.

The XLR out is balanced and is quiet so you shouldn't need a D.I. box. Mine runs to a a Mackie 32/8 board diectly from the XLR out on my amp with no problems what so ever.

Keep in mind that the XLR out on the BA amps are post EQ. The BA210 does not have a ground lift so a D.I. box can help you if you need that.