Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

line out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pbass1, Aug 21, 2005.

1. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    i know its probably been asked before but i cant use the search for crap so here goes... :bag:

i have a 300 watt head. i will soon get a 450 watt head...if i put the 450 into 2 cabs, then line out into the 300, with 2 cabs do i get 750 watts?

2. NONONONO That is a disaster waiting to happen.

3. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    why

4. Justice

Justice

May 24, 2002
    Houston TX.

Please clarify...are you planning to connect both heads to the same 2 cabs? (not a good idea)

Or will you have 2 cabs for each head? In which case it would be better to split the signal before the amps instead of trying to use the line out from the first amp to the other.

5. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    each head has 2 cabs....how do you split the signal?

how much would it cost?

6. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    You will need to buy two speaker cables, one for each output. The price will depend on what kind and brand of speaker cable you buy.

What amp are you buying anyway?

-Mike

7. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    uh imma probably get the behringer 450, i LOVE behringer

i was thinking the hartke 5500 or whatever, but its over priced

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK, so buy yourself two speaker cables to go from the amp outputs to the speaker cabs. Nothing else to buy.

-Mike

9. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    no no no how do i connect the two heads and make one massive set up? a spliter of some sort

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Like you said in the first place, with a line out, but only to the line in on the second amp, not to an instrument level input.

11. pbass: Are you currently running a Behringer BX3000T head? If so, after looking at the new 4500 head's specs, I don't see much difference besides increased wattage.
    If you like your current tone, have you considered buying a power amp and running the lineout to that to power additional cabinets? Might be another option, and could be more versatile while still retaining your current sound.
    It's something I've considered. I own a 3000T, but I doubt I would run out and buy the 4500 for the extra watts, even though that extra power would be helpful...

I'd love to hear opinions on this..

Mag...

12. You explained that very well.. Since the second amp would be basically used as a slave anyway, why not buy a dedicated power amp such as the Behringer EP1500/2500 which sell for 250/300 dollars respectively, and have much more "clean" power with alot more options for running different cabinets. That amp could be bridged, or you could power separate cabs from separate channels, etc...
    You could still use the first (preamp) head to power a cab(s) as well.

Mag...

13. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    good idea on the power amp

how do they work?

im just fulll of questions...

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    How about one quality amp rahter than two so, so ... GK 1001 RB II $600 delievered in the US from RIk's 700 into 4 ohms, your two cabs ? 480 into 8 ... comes with the added bonus of actually tone quaity and a usable DI to boot.

Just to be clear. You cannot daisey chan your 450 watt amp with a 300 watt amp into 1 set of cabinets and get 750 watts. You can have he 450 watt amp drive it's own cabinet or set of cabinets and the 300 watt amp driver it's own set of cabinets.

Frankly, that's a lot of power on stage. My 1001 get's the job done most nights at 16 ohms. That must be something like 300 watts ? I'll add a second 8 ohm cab in outside for (I think) around 6 ohms, maybe 400 watts ? I gotta say, even with that, it doesn't break a sweat. Let the FOH do it's thing and save your hearing for later...

15. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    thanks im looking into the gk head...sad about the price but whatever i love watts. :hyper:

16. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    you're kidding right ? $600 for that amp is a steal ... Rik's was great to work with as well. At my request the sales guy opened up the box and did a burn in on it. Boxed it back up as original and then shipped it to arrive on the day that I requested. Those guys are great!

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

The only thing you'll get lower priced is some Behringer or Hartke crap and the GK will be three times the quality. The price on GK stuff is a steal.

18. Yeah, I've only had my GK1001RB-II a couple of weeks now. I haven't had the chance to play live with it but with everything flat (including the boost/tweeter/woofer knobs) and my volume knob at 9:00..I can still only turn my bass up about half way, otherwise I rattle the room/annoy my roomies and neighbors....and I only have 1 8 ohm cabinet so its pushing 460w....I can only imagine what it'll be like when I add another 8 ohm cabinet to make it 700w plus the cone area...GK gets an A+ in my book.

19. pbass1

pbass1

Dec 8, 2004
    good. i like power i play in a pretty loud band so its gotta be loud and such. whats the tone like flat? is it punchy?

20. That is an exceptional deal. I've been GAS'n for a 1001RB-2 for awhile, but have never seen a price like you've mentioned. Most online places sell that head for at least 750.00 US..

But price aside, I can understand pbass toying with the amp/preamp-amp idea, especially if he likes his current sound.
    1. Running his amp+slave would allow more cabinet choices than running the GK alone. If he wanted to run two 4 ohm cabs, he could, with several options. With the GK, he'd be limited to a 4 ohm min load..
    2. If desired, he could run any other preamp into the slave amp, still having more cab connection options.
    3. He could power one or two cabs with his main head, and still go lineout to the slave powering additional cabs with different loads.
    4. Throw an active crossover between the preamp and slave amp and he could biamp, or even without the crossover he'd still have individual control over the cabs volume outputs. Connecting different cabs to the GK would be a hit or miss scenario. You couldn't vary the output of either cab if they didn't mate up well together.
    5. The biamp-50/75 watt tweeter amp on the GK has limited uses unless you want to go with a designed GK cab. It crosses over at 5k, so really isn't good for anything except a tweeter. If you wanted to use that with a different cab, you'd have to rewire a cab with tweeter to work with it, or rewire a Speakon cord to power a cab and a separate tweeter.

I'm kinda in a similar situation myself. I have a Behringer BX3000T and a 2x15 cab. The cab houses 600 watt drivers, and the 300 watts from the Behringer doesn't push them as well as I would like. Although I'd trade the Behringer for the GK in a heartbeat (who wouldn't?), I still like the tone I'm getting now, and adding a slave amp would be the least expensive way to increase my wattage and perhaps add another cab to the 4 ohm one I'm running now.

Mag...