1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line over a specific chord progression

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Flute, May 18, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Flute

Flute

May 18, 2018
    Hi guys! Bass newbie here. Maybe someone could assist me with this, I would be very grateful.

So, I'm creating a bass line over a simple chord progression which goes C Am7 F G, 4/4 on some 86bmp... However I'm struggling to play the right note over the Am7 chord - I'm playing the A obviously but on moments it just does not seem to sound right... It's a simple pop progression and I just want to make a solid foundation. I've tried to throw in some other notes but nothing does seems to sound right. Could someone point me to some similar chord progression or a song so I could figure out what would be the best solution when going from minor to minor7h? Thanks a lot for any ideas!

2. The note A is the best choice for the Am7 chord.

As far as substitutions go, see if you like any of these alternatives:

C Am F G7
    C C7/E F G
    C C+ F G
    C E7 F6 G7

3. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Just thinking about it without a bass in front of me...
    Have you tried E (maybe via D for the last beat of the C chord), which is 5th of the Am7 (for 2nd inversion) and leads stepwise to root of next chord F? Or C (m3 of Am7 for 1st inversion) then walking via D and E to F? Or walking chromatically via Ab, G (7th of Am7) and Gb to F? Or a chromatic A, Bb, B to C (for F in 2nd inversion)? Or a full Am7 arpeggio, something like A-C-E-A-G-E in suitable rhythm then to resolving to F?

4. Flute

Flute

May 18, 2018
    Thanks guys! Yeah I've tried something similar @SteveCS but somehow I always go back to the A, not sure why it just sounds a bit off sometimes since it's a logical note to play.. Will keep on trying. If you can think of some song with the same progression please post

5. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    What other instruments are involved. Is there, for example, a keyboard or piano? Is there a vocal melody going on, and what are the notes? Look for sources of dissonance...

Flute and Acoustic356 like this.
  6. Flute

Flute

May 18, 2018
    @SteveCS There's an acoustic guitar playing the C Am7 F G, and the vocal melody is pretty much around C - E - D

7. The Am7 rather gives the feeling of the sustained G, so not a favourite progression of mine, as the 2nd chord is also C6 instead of Am7 in this context. Assuming you want a single note for each chord, do these work for you?
    EDIT - added the note names:
    C-A-F-G -- C-E-D-G -- A-G-E-D -- C-A-D-G Screen Shot 2018-05-18 at 11.06.26.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
    Mushroo, BrianNYC and Flute like this.
  8. Flute

Flute

May 18, 2018
    @paulears thanks for the insight, could you please write me the notes since I don't read the music notation..?

9. BrianNYC

BrianNYC

Mar 7, 2018
    Try to pedal on the C until you get to the G chord? The Am7 tonality may be unclear coming from the C (they are very close harmonically) for instance if you Invert your Am7 you get CEGA...like adding a 6th to your C chord. Maybe because of the harmonic center of the progression your ear wants to hear the C
    Maybe your ear is still hearing the G as the 5th in the C chord even though in the Am7 it functions as a 7th.
    Sometimes when a measure doesn't sound right it's the measure before that needs fixing. Try also leading to that A diff ways

Flute and SteveCS like this.
  10. Flute

Flute

May 18, 2018
    @BrianNYC yeah it's quite strange on moments, I will try to upload an audio file a bit later to demonstrate correctly. Thanks guys

11. BrianNYC

BrianNYC

Mar 7, 2018
    I've been actually sitting with the bass all morning so it's been perfect for me to fiddle around on. The chordbot app and I have decided that it definitely works better when the a minor chord is inverted because of voice leading aspects. Unfortunately on acoustic guitar at least for me and my knowledge of different chord voicings would be insufficient haha.

My best looks so far has been starting the measure on the 5th going down to the root so G-C/E-A/C-F/D-G (**edit**this turned out to be horrible**)

MrWolf14, Flute and SteveCS like this.
  12. BrianNYC

BrianNYC

Mar 7, 2018
    10 times through the opposite may be true...hmmm. without hearing the context it's hard

13. BrianNYC

BrianNYC

Mar 7, 2018
    Have you tried the chordbot app? The algorithm that uses for voice leading is really cool you can just feed it chord progressions and experiment with the different outcomes or manually change all the inversions and stuff like that ...I can get lost in it for hours sometimes composing

Flute likes this.
  14. Am7 is supposed to sound minor --- is the minor sound throwing you? The guys have given you some good choices. I think you can take it from what they have listed.

Good luck.

JRA, SteveCS and Flute like this.
  15. Flute

Flute

May 18, 2018
    @BrianNYC I haven't actually, thanks for the idea I will try it today. I will upload an mp3 in some 2 hours just to demonstrate the context correctly

@BrianNYC App is brilliant!

BrianNYC likes this.
  16. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    The 50’s are alive!
    Listen to some do wop.

17. Is everything tuned correctly? Is the intonation correct? Is the acoustic guitar actually playing the correct chord?

Spidey2112 and JRA like this.
  18. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    To add to the pile of advice here, I'll recommend you check out how the guitarist is voicing that A-7. It's possible something he is doing is clashing with your very logical root in the bass.

onosson, JRA and BrianNYC like this.
  19. Flute

Flute

May 18, 2018
    @BrianNYC @InhumanResource Here's the rough example of how the progression goes. So to me, on that 2nd chord, Am7, A note just seems a bit off...

Attached Files:

• ex.mp3
      File size:
      524.7 KB
      Views:
  20. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Hmm. Can't play it on my phone for some reason. I'll try to check it out later when I'm home.

Flute likes this.