1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

line selector help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GentProvocateur, Dec 23, 2016.

1. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

You ever encounter something that you feel SHOULD be easy to grasp but continues to prove frustratingly confusing? Line selecting (selectoring?) is that for me. Absolutely not intuitive to me.

Essentially I want to keep my effect pedals on most (if not all) of the time, and use a line selector to select between (a) clean, unaffected (b) distortion (c) delay/reverb and (d) distortion + delay/reverb

Can the Boss LS-2 do this or do I need something like a Wounded Paw Blender V3? Or something more simple like an A/B/Y box loop selector (and if so, will the lack of phase alignment switches be an issue?)

Thanks!

2. It helps me to map out what I want to do and then use the right selector. It you want to set up different chains then you will need something like the Boss Es8 or Joyo Plx. For simpler needs then a loop pedal might work. I have tried more complex setups but always come back to a solution I have used for a long time using a loop in the middle of my efx chain.

My chain has 3 segments. The first segment is an [sfx] mThumpinator and AY2 because the AY2 sets different tone that have an affect of the rest of my effects. Next segment is my effects loop using a Rocktron Tru-Loop for my blended switch. In the loop is EHX BassBalls, Zoom MS60b, Mosky Xp, Austone Fuzz Nutz TexTone, Mosky JCM, EHX Hot Tubes, Fuzzrocious BDPG mk2, Akai UniBass return to the Tru-Loop. From there it goes to a Zoom B2 to a DI and to my amp.

With this set up I have my always on effects and a switchable loop in the middle where I can set a combination or build a sound and then return to my clean sound with a press of 1 switch.

3. GentProvocateur

Hmm, the Boss Es8/Joyo Plx is more than I want or need. What I want to do is similar to your setup, except with another effects loop.

4. mike4bass

mike4bass

Sep 7, 2016
    Europe
    I just ordered a custom line selector: cog effects. Tom is very supportive and will help you to customise a pedal to your needs!
    Cog Effects - Home

ukedealer likes this.
  5. Black Loop. This might do it for you if you don't need a blend.

GentProvocateur likes this.
  6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

You need a bypass looper that has switches for A, B, and A + B. Loopmaster can make you one. Might even be able to find one on Reverb.

7. This ^ all day long

8. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    i've been wondering the same thing, and the wounded paw v3 is something i'm considering...i was looking at the badger schism xv, but it doesn't look like badger is making new products anymore...that seemed like a sweet piece of gear and did most of what the v3 did and was a good bit smaller...the cog effects gear looks nice, too...i have a sheehan drive pedal with loops on the clean and drive said, but i hate the tone through it with my bass, i can't get it to even come close to sounding right so i was hoping to create a clean and dirty loop with the pedals i like and a blender...

9. I'd probably use two boss LS-2 pedals for this. One of one group of pedals and the second for the other. Put both the LS-2 pedals side by side so you can step on them at the same time. The boss style footswitches are actually really helpful for stepping on two pedals at once.

10. GentProvocateur

I'm intrigued but not following. What would be the benefit of the two LS-2 setup over an ABY loop selector (with an unaffected bypass) for my needs (see op)?

11. GentProvocateur

Cool, getting someone else to write/say/reinforce my thinking on this is helpful

12. GentProvocateur

Wow, had forgotten about Cog's custom pedals with all the signal routing. Cool!

13. GentProvocateur

Sweet! I'd never seen any One Control stuff beyond the Mosquite

14. callofcthulhu

callofcthulhu

Oct 16, 2012
    Or just take up tap dancing.

15. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    azfatboy and GentProvocateur like this.
  16. GentProvocateur

17. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    You're welcome :thumbsup: Can't say anything about the phase issue though, better ask the manufacturer about that !