line up and call me an idiot but HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jon Burnet, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i just bought some of this miracle cleaner from a kid goin door to door. i know i usually kick em in the butt too but the stuff really worked. so i'm cleanin everything in the house and then i remember the unsightly finger yuck on my maple stingray5. i squirt a little area... get to goin with an adrasive pad... ITS WORKIN! put it back on the wall and now the spot i did is clean BUT WHITE!!!!! i took a damp cloth and rubbed it and it turned back but when it dried BACK TO WHITE... did this stuff clean but also take away the woods natural moisture? can this be fixed with some lemon oil? heeeelp
  2. Jimmy_K

Mar 2, 2002
    England UK
    cooooooool! My mum bought some miracle cleaning stuffs off of the QVC shopping channel ages ago and it worked like a charm...on EVERYTHING! so I did exactly the same as you! aaah stoopid ppl think stoopid alike hehehehee!:cool: :) :D
  3. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    how did you fix it?
  4. Jimmy_K

Mar 2, 2002
    England UK
    When I did it it was on one of the metal chrome parts, and it sort of smeared it or rubbed it off. I dont think there is a way of repairing that.
    I dont know what to suggest for your bass but I hope it turns out ok anyways. I'll ask one of my friends about it, he has a beard and knows almost everything about basses!
  5. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Hi I'm Bob Villa and welcome to This Old Bass.
  6. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Do Not Use Lemon Oil on Maple!! Please! You will give yourself an even bigger headache in the long run. I'm not sure about the finish on a SR, but I know the lemon oil will react with the finish used by both PRS and Martin. I've had a Martin Ac. guit*r that had Birdseye Maple back and sides. Someone used Lemon Oil on it, and the finish bubbled and blistered and became REALLY soft in HUGE spots on it.
  7. absinthe

absinthe Guest

Jan 20, 2002
    Great Britain
    I think we're getting a bit confused over "wood" and "finish" here. Lemon oil is a cleanser and should only ever be used on bare, untreated wood, that's what it's made for. Using anything on an actual "finish" other than a damp, warm soapy rag to remove greasy spots should be checked out first.

Personally, I hate finished necks. I sand 'em down with 600 grit to make them glassy and smooth and FAST and then clean them with lemon oil (never had a problem with a maple neck yet) and polish them with a touch of beeswax. YMMV

I've no idea how to help with your problem, stingrayguy - but if all else fails, perhaps you should think about cleaning the rest of the area with this stuff so it's all white and then using a maple woodstain so it all looks the same! No....don't take this idea seriously unless you're desparate - I'm sure someone can come up with something less painful first.
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
    My advice is to e-mail Musicman and tell them what you did. Find the bottle/container of the stuff you used and list the ingredients on your e-mail. Ask them what can be done and grovel a bit.

Let us know what you do and how it turns out.
  9. elwood

elwood there is no spoo

Jul 25, 2001
    Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
    based on your limited info:
    if the fretboard is maple, it has a finish over the wood, and you have scratched it. Get some Meguiar's #9 or 3M Finess-It II and polish it out.

If the fretboard is any other wood, you have depleted the natural oil. Try treating it with boiled linseed oil. Rub some on, leave it 5 minutes and wipe off all the excess with a soft lint-free rag.

10. yet another fine example of..

before you smudge any stuff on your bass..
  11. You probably discolored the finish. My recommendedation would be to get some rubbing compound from your local auto parts store and use a little bit of that on the effected area.

During a show once, my straplock screw stripped out, and I had to use duct tape to attach my strap to the upper horn of my bass. When I took it off, there was the ususal sticky mess. I use some Goo Gone to remove the gunk, but I was left with a clouded finish. I figured that would happen, and started thinking about how to fix it. That's when I remembered the tub of rubbing compound in the closet. Two minutes with the rubbing compound and a paper towel fixed it right up.
  12. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Sounds to me like bleach was in the solution. Or it oxidized the finish. Polishing compound may do the trick but be really carefull. Unless you are ready to repolish the whole bass with compound, spot polishing will probably show up in the right light also. Is it the finish that has whitened or the bass itstelf? Hey don't forget we now have a luthier section at TB. Try asking over there.:D
  13. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Everyone seems to have missed his reference to using an abrasive pad. It's probably not the result of the liquid cleaner, but the fact that he "sanded" the finish. Ouch!

14. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    i sanded the back of the neck which i had already sanded prior to my miracle cleaner escapade. i think it just dried out the natural oils. its not white per sey it looks really dry.