1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Line6 Bass Amps/Cabs: What's The Verdict?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stingraymund, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Igital

Igital

Dec 19, 2008
    Norway
    Have used the LD 150 combo for a couple of years for practice and even quite a few gigs. The tiltback option makes it a good stage monitor when you have FOH.

My impression is very good build quality, I've had absolutely no problems with it despite some serious abuse, it sounds really good for its size and price tag, some of the modelling amps are quite nice when you figure out the knobs and aren't obsessed with making it sound like the actual SVT or Eden.

It has a good set of features including tuner, headphones out etc. and Line6 has really put some good thinking into it. The compressor is quite OK, but I don't use the other effects apart from a little "grind" (not an fx guy). Having presets can be very useful, I have mostly had them set for different playing settings, since it was regularly used in three different practice spaces with very different room characteristics and different sounding bands. Now it stays in one place and the presets are adjusted to different basses as well as one I use for guitar. With fulll grind and the "SVT" amp it sounds quite nice with guitar!

For the price I think it is a very good buy and I really recommend it. Would like to try some of their new heads/cabs just for fun to see if they impress me just as much but haven't seen any yet.

2. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I went through 2 LD300 Combos. Both developed faults quickly but when they worked i liked the sounds and the features

3. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I've owned a Line 6 LD300 Pro Combo for two years, bought it new. It's been used on a lot of gigs, rehearsals and studio sessions. Anytime I can use it, I will (rather than take my big rig out).

I've never had a problem with it and it always sounds great!!

TD

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I've only had the little 110 Studio, but I'm no fan of modelling anyway, so away it went. I'd rather have an amp that only put out one sound, so long as it was an honest, real sound, over the gadgetry of amp modelling. You may feel differently.

5. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    RickenBoogie, YOU TAKE THAT BACK RIGHT NOW!!!!!! I've had the Studio 110 for a couple of years and its the best sounding (for under $400) combo out there, and I've done the side by side comparisons too!
    I only use the rock model, and wish that was all it had also. Just not loud enuff to cut through a loud drummer.

6. gregoire1

gregoire1

Oct 19, 2008
    Nashville
    Sorry Rickenboogie, I'm ok now, I just get emotional when anyone disses my Studio 110.

7. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    The OP may be asking more specifically about the new Line6 heads. Those have been discussed in a couple other threads already, as well.

8. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No, it's a fine little practice amp, I just don't care for the gimmicky stuff, in general. Have no idea about the new heads, but I suspect it's kind of along the same lines, lots of voicing choices. I just prefer something a little less complicated, and view modelling in general to be nothing more than circuits producing eq changes.

9. wingnut

wingnut

Apr 18, 2007
    Las Vegas Nv.
    I had the LD300 as well. Kept it for about two months. It was inconsistent. It would sound good one moment and then sound like crap the next. Had it looked at and was told they have to "break in". Played it every day for 5 weeks and it never got any better. I have heard the new ones are tons better. I got mine when they first came out.

10. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Mine too. Hopefully they've sorted the quality out

11. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    I find that the my LD 300 Pro sounds best when the Master volume is set to twelve o'clock. From there I can dial either the input level on the amp or the volume level on my bass back accordingly.

The only thing that this amp needs in my opinion is a tilt back cabinet design like the LD150 for monitoring purposes.

Yesterday I purchased (on spec) a new MarkBass CMD 102P. Took it to a gig last night, set it beside the LD 300 Pro and dialed in the tone and volume I needed. I was really looking forward to the 102P working great. It didn't. It sucked. Couldn't handle the volume or the low B of my SR5 without breaking up and farting badly. Plugged into my LD300 Pro, and no problems. It sounded great. I've never experienced any quality issues with my Line 6. But you do have to know the amps settings and how they work, or you can lose the sound-tone you're looking for when making adjustments.

The 102P is going back today. What a disappointment.

TD

12. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    As with any complex technology you have to practice and learn what all the modeling settings can do for you. The factory presets just never seem to be the "ultimate" and these amps are capable of so much more.
    Line 6 also has some excellent purely software based modeling.

13. PBFACTOR

PBFACTOR

Dec 21, 2001
    Boise, ID
    wil-dog from ozomotli tours with a ld300.

ozomotli.

14. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    no matter how it is dressed up, and i've seen line6 in lights, UV, glow, enamel badges, it is still, unfortunately a line6.

given the choice between line6 and behringer, i'd spend a lot of time over it, and then take behringer.

Line 6 try to do too much with one thing, and end up doing all of them poorly.

15. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i loved the sounds. they just broke with mechanical/technical issues. Although heavy the LD300 was a thumping amp

16. TB24

TB24

May 5, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    As a beginner my take on the LD150 os that it is a great combo amp. Why, because when playing "Clean" you get great tones, good throaty volume and and has a nice cabinet design (tilt back, rear shelf that holds small things nicely like headphones, spare picks, and MP3 player). On the twaeker/processor/gadgety side it's a good way to get introduced to all the other things one can do with "effects" without having to go out buy tones of foot boxes (or if your like me, spending several hrs a week Guitar Center). Also helps me understand the varity of ways some of my favorites songs have been generated/produced.

17. zeppelinbass95

zeppelinbass95

Dec 26, 2008
    PA
    I have a line 6 110 and it is SWEET!! It is way loud enough for a 40 wat marshall guitar and drums. Sound pretty good, and when you consider the cost(I got it for $230) you can't beat it.

18. Hugh9191

Hugh9191

Feb 20, 2009
    +1

Darn right, I want my bass to sound like my bass. Not like all the modeling it goes through. If I want distortion I'll use a Big Muff and that's about as far as I will go with effects.

19. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Nah, not with the Low Down series. They kept it simple compared to something like the X3.