line6 bass pod pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by citizen, Mar 29, 2003.

1. citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    I am very intrested by line6 bass pod,because it seems very flexible .
    please, i would like to know your opinion about it(sound quality,programmation...)
  2. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    There's been a lot of discussion about the pod in the effects forum. Try doing a keyword search and you should get plenty of threads to read through.

For the record, I think it's an expensive tuner :)
  3. I've got one and I use it in the studio and in my live rack. The more I use it the more I like it. Yes it does have a built in tuner, but, it has an outstanding built in compressor which is better than any I've used to date. ( got a DBX 166 by the way ) There are some really great bass tones lurking inside that black box, but, it takes some time and patients to coax them out, and, the pre-sets need a lot of tweaking. They are not for everybody.
  4. BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    I ended up buying both the Pod and the Floor Control, it turned out to be more of an ego thing, I play with an acoustic guitarist and no electric guitarist and this way I could beat him out with something :D haha yea I use it mainly for a tuner, I don't like SOME of the effects, like when I put it on rodent or something the sound gets super loud and when I go back to like some sorta flanger or something volume'll get way low, probably is a way to fix this but I don't read any instructions to anything so eh :p but yea some of the stuff does come handy don't get the pedal only thing it adds is a foot controllable volume thing and a wah pedal, or if you're going to switch a lot between effects in the same song, if not its not too much trouble to just hit a button :p
  5. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    Haha...ha...not funny!:( Its called the "channel volume" knob...look into it. Its a fantastic unit that you will find more great uses for it the more you use it! If you are interested in crafting great bass sound(s), then take the time to get to know all it can do. I've had mine ever since the Pod Pro came out a couple years ago, using it twice a weekend(Fri/Sat nights) in a travelling cover band within a 100 mile diameter of NYC and it has performed like a "pro";) . The only drawbacks I have found, are the lack of flexibilty in a couple of the effects(Boss OC-2,and the comp.),which I readily remedied by putting said effects into my outboard pedalboard. Piece a cake:)!
  6. citizen

Jan 24, 2003
    do you think the pod could be better than the next rocktron bass multieffect coming soon?
  7. icks

Jul 12, 2001
    Charleroi, Belgium
    I fell in love with mine,
    I use it all the time, I get very nice tone, great effects ..

i will gig with it for the first time next week ...
  8. Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I don't have the lowdown on the rocktron, but you mention a curious word in your question..."multieffect". The Pod should be considered a pre-amp that just happens to have some cool effects thrown in, should you need them- not really a multieffect. Reason being, you are limited to one effect at a time w/the Pod. For that reason alone, it shouldn't be referred to as a multieffect device. Use it for what it is- a preamp to front an amplifier for live use or a d.i. for recording, and you'll love it!

9. Yup - pretty much the mistake I made. I was looking for a multi-effect unit. Got caught up in the hype surrounding the POD Pro - I was recording an album at the time, and it seemed the perfect solution.

It is a good pre-amp, but I found little difference in some of the amp models (my Spector straight into the desk sounded great ,and was just what I wanted anyway). Some of the effects were cool, some were not so cool!

I traded mine in (got what I paid for it at the shop I bought it!!!) and got a GT-6B (the Boss unit). The Boss is more what I was looking for.

If I was a session player, doing a lot of studio recording work, I can see where the POD Pro excels - it saves you having to have a pile of different amsp and cabs to satisfy and engineer's quest for a particular sound!
  10. Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    In the studio, the pod is hard to beat. Anybody who has messed around with mikes, cabs and head combinations to get that "perfect sound' knows that it takes up alot of time. Time is the most expensive thing in the studio. I love messing around with different amp/cabs etc, but most of the time, you have to watch the clock.

Of course it is not for everybody........

I love my vintage SVT. The pod does not sound as good, but it sounds close. It also weighs next to nothing when compared to the SVT. Those are the main reasons I use the pod most of the time in the studio.

(jeez, sounds like I work for the company:D )
  11. BassPulsar

Oct 16, 2002
    I have a Bass Pod (not the Pro version) and would like to know what do you, POD users and lovers, recommend in this situation:
    - I only use the POD at home for record and pratice (I'm not planning on playing live soon - with or without the POD).
    - I connect my headphones to the POD, or connect the POD to my hi-fi or to a guitar amp I have (an all tube Laney - Class A). However, beside the headphones I am not very pleased with the sound and I'm becoming tired of playing with phones all the time!!
    - I do not want watts and watts of power. Just want something with clarity, that can let the POD shine and have sufficient power for me to hear in my bedroom!! ;)

What would you recommend?

Sorry if this question is, some how, crazy and stupid, but what I think is that if I already have the POD why should I spend big bucks on another amp?!?! I just have to make this setup work!!

Many thanks!