Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line6 Bass POD XT live questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jay_t, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Hi all,

Has anybody played through one of these yet? I'm curious as to what you think about them. I like what I hear in the sound bites on the line6 website but I want to know if anyone has played through one without the variax bass and how that sounded to them. I haven't seen any in the stores yet but it looks like you can order them now.

Thanks!

2. Anybody? I figured some people would have already jumped on these and have some decent opinions!

:help:

3. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
  4. Thanks a million! I tend to be a single effects pedal type of player but I thought if anyone was going to get it right first... it would be line6.

5. mrtreacle

mrtreacle

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I actually just used one of these on a recording session and I gotta say the amp emulators were excellent. I just ran straight from the XT Live into the studio board and immediately started getiing tones that were more than usable. The SVT in particular was great.

I didn't really get to try out the effects, however I've used an MXR Phase 90 for years and A/B'd it with the one in the XT Live and it was definitely really close.

I'd say I'm pretty happy with it so far, at least for recording, I am yet to use it in a live situation. I will say it is very well made and looks like it will survive some serious road abuse.

There is a patch in it called 'Sub Dub' and for that patch alone I believe it is worth the money.

6. Nice to know! I'm just going to have to go spend a few hours playing through one.

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I bought one and sent it back. It is enormously complicated for live use. The modeling, etc., is pretty good for recording, but that isn't what I wanted it for. I tried to set it up as a series of stomps, and wasn't able to do so. Some of the presets are good, some are horrible. It didn't work out for me though. I'm sticking with individual stomps.

8. Yeah... live is how I measure everything. If I can do it live then it's worth it. I'll worry about any studio applications later. One of my concerns was that it would be difficult to get a consistent output. I figured one preset may be louder than another and difficult to sync up.

I guess I was intrigued by the sound bites on the website. I really liked the upright modeling for the variax bass but I'm not interested in the bass. :rolleyes:

9. mrtreacle

mrtreacle

Jun 18, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Guys, it is not at all complicated for live use, in fact once you skim the manual you'll be dialing in sounds in minutes. Also, the output is consitant through the channel drive knob, you just dial in your effect and store it. It's not rocket science.

10. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Got one this weekend. So far, so good...sounds great and not too complicated to set up. It is enormously powerful and will take some work to really get into it. In the meantime, the presets are great, plenty of usable tones. There are some really nice old-school distorted tones, I swear you can hear the wood on the simulated cabinet vibrating. I also have a Variax bass, but don't have the special cable yet. Together they seem to be completely noise-free. They did a good job with the noise gate. There are some great modulation effects too. Construction is good. Haven't tried recording yet...When I get the cable next week I'll report back with more info.

11. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

I also picked one up recently and haven't really decided yet. Some of the standard patches are good, and some are just unusable (at least for me).

Line 6 is getting much better than the original bass pods - much less harsh.

I'm starting to wonder if I really just want a good straight bass sound - which I've already got with my straight ahead rig.

12. relayer66

relayer66

Oct 10, 2002
    Miura, Japan
    Agree, some of the presets are very good and some are not too obviously usable. Fortunately there are many variables that can be tweaked to come up with more variations than I can fathom. Also, in each preset you can hit the stomp/modulation/delay pedals to come up with a huge variety of sounds. Having had several Korg and Zoom multieffects in the past, they seem like toys compared to the Pod which is probably the greatest toy of them all.
    I tried connecting the Variax bass directly through the RJ45 cable, and the Variax patches do change the models on the bass. Some of these presets are also very good, for instance the 12-string bass patch. However there seems to be a problem with about 3 of the models, for instance the red Manta model (Modulus Flea), one of my favorite Variax sounds (ironic since I didn't like my real Flea bass much), doesn't seem to work nor does Clang (Rickenbacker). Works fine through the regular TRS cable, but not through the RJ45 where it is extremely low volume and dead sounding. Hopefully this issue will be resolved, but with Line 6's history with updating the Bass Pods, I somehow doubt it will.
    I've had the same experience in the past, when I get tired of all the effects nothing sounds better than a straight bass plugged directly into an amp. But effects can be a lot of fun.

13. gvr4wd

gvr4wd

May 15, 2001
    I bought one to see if there is any usable effects... Some sound good, some sound bad. I'm not into amp modeling. I think I'm going straight to the amp and this one is going back to the guitar center.

14. vtbassman

vtbassman

May 9, 2005
    my $.02:
    I purchased a Bass Podxt simply to replace my live rig. After years of hauling around a 4x10 cab and amp rack it was time to downsize. I'm not much of a 'stompbox' guy other than a wah, so I just dialed in a few great tones on the pod (ampeg, gk and eden) and use it. Sounds awesome through the PA and monitors. I will be getting the new Live XT bass pod to add some versatility soon.
    As far as factory preset tones and effects, I deleted all of them (I couldn't stand any of them). Next, I set up each preset as either just an amp or amp/cab combo with no effects. After figuring out what models I like the best, I set up presets with effects.