Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Line6 DL4

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by Rodan, May 1, 2002.

1. Steve,

If I'm not mistaken, I think you use one of these pedals, how would you compare it to the Boomerang Phrase sampler. I'm really interested in getting either of these "pedals" and could really use your input on the pros and cons of each. I'm looking forward to start delving into the looping world!

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    For a little bit more than the boomerang you can get the electrix repeater it's worth looking into, also there is the boss rc-20 which can store loops longer than the boomerang can. I sugest if you can go to guitar shop and try them all out just find the one that fills all your need. If you have other multifx loop at the other samplers before the dl4 because it doesn't have a huge capacity for loops but it has great fx from what i've heard it's a great unit but if you've already got delays and echos buy a looper that only does looping.

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    the DL4 is a fantastic little box - you've got 28 seconds of loop time and the option to go double speed with that (and one octave higher) as well as backwards, and to add delays over the loop, and also all the other delay models as well (sadly, not loopable) - on my newest CD, with Jez Carr, the only pedal I use on the whole album is the DL4, so if you get that, you'll hear some of what's possible with it.

The Boomerang is more of a dedicated loop box - no delay functions, much longer loop time, lower sample resolution (though I'm told the new upgraded version is better than the original one) but it does do backwards, and it has a rather cool rotary feedback control underfoot...

The Repeater and the Echoplex Digital Pro are the rolls royce loopers - I've got an EDP, and it's unbelieveable, but I still use my DL4 as well - it's one of the most intuitive bits of kit I've ever tried...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk (order the CD here)

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Of the bunch, which would you say was best suited for live performance?

Thaks in advance!

5. Thanks for the info Steve. From what you mentioned, it sounds like the Boomerang would be more "functional", although it would also be cool to have the features of the DL4 as well. Either way, I might end up going for the DL4 because it is considerably less expensive than the Boomerang. I didn't realize the Boomerang was about $200 more!

6. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Hi Adam,

the best place to check the features on these boxes is in the comparison section at www.loopers-delight.com - it's an incredible site with loads of information about all the loopers around... Each box has different features, and are all designed for live application...

Rodan,

I think you'll find that the 28 seconds on the DL4 is enough for 'most' things - I always thought I'd want loads of loop time, but now that I have an Echoplex with 3 minutes of loop time, and don't often go over the time I had on my JamMan or DL4...

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

...and so onto the topic of the DL4, and more to the point, Steve, your use of it (since you are one of the world's foremost DL4 users...this is after hearing your samples from the new CD...Amazing!!!)
    How are you integrating the DL4 into your set up now? The unit is "designed" to take an instrument level input. IMHO, if the unit has an Achilles Heel it is the inputs. I think they are set with far too low an input impedence; this is especially noticeable with piezo pus :-( so, do you run your bass direct into the DL4. If I remember right you had one set up on a side chain from the MPX when we last played together, right?
    I ask as from hearing the clips on your site, your tone is, as always simply "mah-velous".
    Also...when using more than one DL4, where do you route it? Is the signal cascaded from one to the other? Is that pre or post JamDude? Pre or post FX? Pre or post EDP.... (geez, you are getting quite the complicated chain running now, aren't you?)
    oh....and what is "auxes schmauxes"? :-0)
    seriously, I am wonderin' if you are still running everything in series, and if so how that is working out. I have been having some trouble integrating my DL4 into things using my piezo equipped Godins. I find the signal compromise to be too much....but I have been running straight into the pedals, and maybe should discover something about these "schmauxes" as you called them.
    I am sure routing concepts for the DL4, or other loopers, will be of great interest to all viewing this thread as well.
    Max
    Max

8. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    OK, for the new album my signal chain just went

bass--DL4--desk--protools.

my current live set up goes

bass--ashdown combo--[FX loop out]--MPX-G2--DL4--Raven Labs DI--[JamMan in the blendable FX loop on the DI]--EDP--[FX loop return]--speaker!

so yes, rather complex. My current dilemma is working out how to have the JamMan in a side-chain that doesn't feed into the EDP at all, so that I can loop into it, and then loop 'past' it... So, I guess I'm not looking for aux sends as well, so I'll have to take back what I said... :oops:)

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, who works for the Studio gear company, SSL, and asked if they could make a custom switching matrix for a set up like mine, allowing me to change the order of the loops at the push of a button... he said, yes, it's possible but it'd cost me 25K!!!!!! I think there are cheaper options... :oops:)

I've not had any trouble with the DL4... If I had another one, I'd probably just have it in series, as I like being able to have the sweep echo running on one box and looping on the other... I might place it after the jamman in the side chain so that I can post process the loops in the jamman... I'm also thinking of getting some sort of multiFX to put after one of the loop boxes for processing of loops... watch this space... :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Well, I went out and got me a DL4 yesterday and I think I must have played for four hours yesterday evening. I love this, it's so much fun! As with any effect, it takes a while to settle down and use it musically... but this is an incredibly versatile and useful tool for solo bassists, as it adds an awful lot to the sound!

The only cons that I can think of are that 1) the knobs have different functions in each of the 15 modes, and 2) you can't use the various modeled delays with the looper, although the looper does have an echo effect...

Still... definitely more fun to play with than the Boss!

10. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Nice one Adam! I'm sure you'll have months and months of fun working out what you can do with the DL4...

for solo work, don't forget that the loop mode has a single trigger function - so you can record a loop that comes round every so often, play a solo piece that has a longer form than the 28 seconds in the Line 6 and just trigger it when it gets to that bit.

Also, the different functions of the controls allows for a wonderful random element - never underestimate the artist power of not have a clue what you're doing... :oops:)
    get something happening going, and then just tweak and tweeze and see what comes out!!!

I was so hoping they were going to address the 'can't loop the other effects' quandry in the rackmount version, but alas, it's not really all that good... :oops:(

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

11. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Thanks for the advice on it Steve :) Very much appreciated!

Another question: I have heard that, with a good delay unit, you can simulate a chorus, flanger, phaser or almost any other time-based effect. What settings might you try to do this?

Thanks in advance :)

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    not sure about all that stuff, but I do know that with the DL4 in loop mode, if you turn the tweak and tweez up full, with the time and repeats on zero, you get an amazing tremelo sound - I love it and use it alot of the time...

try that!

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

13. Man, I want one. Maybe I should set up a website: www.buymealine6dl4.com:D

My lack of disposable income is currently preventing me from just going out and getting one.

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Have a look at the carl martin combinator I think that might do what your asking in that multi switching thingy, I think it's basically a digital effects loop but with 8 loops so u put an effect on each loop and then say u want an effect using a pedal on loop 1,3,6,7 you turn those loops on then program the pedal so if u push button 1 it opens that sort of loop. I think it's less than 300 pounds so that much cheaper than a custom switcher.
    www.europeanmusical.com

BTW thrash_jazz under 10ms = flange/phaser 10-20ms = chorus 20-80 is slap back kind of hillbilly sound.

Hope this helps.

15. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
  16. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Actually the combinator costs 317 pounds from www.soundsgreatmusic.com but that includes delivery. Don't know if you'd get it cheaper somewhere else but I know this shop I use to buy quite a few things when I lived in the UK, very good customer service.

Just a thought.

17. DL4 effects:
    Chorus: Digital Delay w/ Mod. Delay Time=0, Repeats=Depth of chorus (try about 12 O'Clock), Tweak = 11 O'Clock, Tweez=1 O'Clock, Mix=obvious, but more extreme values give more chorus.

Flanger: Sweep Echo. Delay Time=0, Repeats=0 (watch this carefully in Sweep Echo, you can easily get horrendous feedback if Delay Time=0!), Tweak = 11 O'Clock (or less for a more gradual sweep), Tweez=12 O'Clock. Mix about 3 O'Clock.

Reverb: Digital Delay. Delay=miniscule, Repeats=depth of reverb (values above about 1 O'Clock lead to feedback artefacts though), Tweak and Tweez=bass, treble in the "reflection". Mixed appropriately this gives some impression of reverb. A very dry reverb though.

I tend to have the "Chorus", "Flanger" and "AutoVolume" saved as presets (set up the effect you like then press and hold a switch on the front for a few seconds until it flashes). I really like the AutoVolume echo with really subtle repeats, medium onset on no modulation (Tweak=0, Tweez=2 O'Clock). No mix of the original sound whatsoever. Sounds a bit like an E-Bow.

Fiddling around with these I got the my Flanger to sound a bit like a Lesley cabinet - you know the rotating speaker enclosures they used with Hammond Organs? Now what would it be like to throw a nice beefy organ patch through that???? :D