1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line6 LowDown Studio 110 - How loud is it? (Small gig)

Discussion in 'Line 6' started by kemkes, Apr 25, 2010.

1. kemkes

kemkes

Jul 12, 2005
    I haven't seen a clear answer to this, so I'm posting the question here (yes, I have used the search function).

How wide, high, deep is the Line6 LowDown Studio 110? And how much/little does it weigh?

Also, though I think the answer is yes after searching the forums, is the amp loud enough to handle small acoustic gigs (me, a guitar player/singer, a congas man through small PA in a small bar)?

All the best!

EDIT: Changed title of thread since I know the dimensions now.

2. kemkes

kemkes

Jul 12, 2005
    Line 6 Lowdown Studio 110
    24lbs
    12"L x 12"W x 12"H

Would still be interested in an answer to the loudness-question...

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    It should be able to handle the small gig assuming the conga player isn't going crazy and the acoustic player isn't the former guitarist for a death metal band. If you can go from the LowDown DI into the PA, you're set. Of course if it's a room full of velvet curtains you could lose all your sound quickly.

I believe Rich Renken uses his LowDown 110 regularly on gigs. He'll probably jump in on Monday or Tuesday.

4. Chucky

Chucky

Mar 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Hi, I used mine w/a bigband last week (in rehearsal) playing a Godin A4 fretless. Plenty loud. I did change out the speaker to a DeltaLite-II 2510 by eminence because the old one went bad. Gator makes a soft case that fits it perfectly. I don't post often because I usally get flamed but thought I should speak up. It might be the Thomastic-Infeld acousticor strings that help in volume also. I tend to get less speaker distortion with those.

5. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Don't worry about the flames.

How does the deltalite sound compared to the original?

6. Chucky

Chucky

Mar 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Hello again, It has been a few years since I swapped the internal speaker but I remember thinking what a tighter, more defined sound. It can get louder also in my opinion. The Deltalite speaker was found on ebay. I bought it new for around $90.

With my raven labs PMB II mixer on top I have a real nice sound system for the ipod as well. Gollihur music has a newer version of the PMB II made by an associate of SWR's founder.

I don't use it for gigs as of yet because I'm trying to wear out my Yamaha BBT500-110 combo w/ a bbt500 head as backup.

7. Chucky

Chucky

Mar 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Just for giggles since I got onto this subject...throw in a Duracell DPP-600HD Powerpack and you are ready when the grid goes down. I have one and have tested it. Works great although I have yet to wear down the charge. A simple 100 watt converter also does the job w/ the studio 110...I gave that a short try one day. Best to have a passive bass or better, piezo equipped bass.

Around 1990 I had a gig w/ the 35th DIV band (Natl Grd) where we were out in the Colorado Wilderness by ourselves camping and rehearsing. High Desert Plateau - I could have used an amp then. My fingers were raw by the time we got back home. Yes, the military band system uses a string bass.

8. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Thanks for the info. At least you didn't have to jump with the upright. Now that would be hard core!

9. Chucky

Chucky

Mar 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Thanks for the Hard Core comment...but I'll reserve that for my boss who has cerebral palsey and managed to get two master degrees (while "not" being a genius). Lest we forget the 40th year past Kent State is coming up when some stupid Sh*ts live fired. To anyone who has a military background I really respect your service, I spent 16 years yoked to it. Military Bands are great and I met the best individuals in all MOS fields. Sorry for the rant, hope it stays though.

10. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    15Echo. Pershing Missile Crewmember. Three years and I got the heck out. But we did have an Army band of our own in the middle of nowhere Germany. Along with the ample free time gave me the opportunity to learn to play bass. You'll love this - my standard for being able to call myself a bassist was to learn the basslines from "Dead of Alive", "You Give Love a Bad Name", and "Livin' on a Prayer". Years later I found out that it was really Hugh McDonald that played those lines. Oh crap, I almost forgot that I played bass through a boom box. I had a Steinberger bass with TransTrem and a boom box for an amp. Wow!

Had fun in the Army, but man it was not for me.

11. Chucky

Chucky

Mar 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Playing around here on Memorial Day with old gear and my 110. My korg Pandora PX4B sounds great filtering my Fender Deluxe Jazz. An older unit - Aguilar DB924 sounds good as an Ipod preamp thru the PXB4 as well. Just have to be careful using the right patch cords.

Small and Lightweight = good to me. Although today I am going over to Pedros to look at his Tuck and Roll Kustom combo bass amp.
    Just like I used in 1973 - back then the school had a Univox EB0 bass guitar copy I used until I bought my Precision for $313 I believe from Dietze music in Lincoln.

12. Phantasm

Phantasm I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For.

Sep 16, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I've used my Studio 110 on quite a few acoustic gigs. Never had a volume problem.

13. trkkazulu

trkkazulu

Apr 18, 2007
    I just bought a Studio 110 and use it with an NSD WAV bass for everything from Blues to Funk, Rock and Jazz. It's AMAZING! I can't believe how loud, detailed and portable this amp is. I'm very satisfied. It was mentioned that Gator makes a case for it. I wasn't able to find it on the Gator site. Anyone can point me to it?

Thanks,

JPW

14. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't know about the gator rack, but I got a cover for one on ebay. The cover was about $25. Great investment

15. trkkazulu

trkkazulu

Apr 18, 2007
    Thanks for the spec on the Gator case. I ordered one and received it last week.

JPW

16. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    It should be loud enough for that kind of gig. I looked at one but went with a Genz Benz Shuttle 3.0-10T instead. I thought it had a little more to offer.

17. p58

p58

Dec 17, 2005
    Slovakia
    bought it few days ago as a practice amp and it´s awesome!

18. Chucky

Chucky

Mar 26, 2006
    Madison, WI
    Hey, it's me again. Thought I would pipe up w/ my latest mod/addition. A behringer (yes, that company) FBQ800 mini equalizer for the ipod input. Improves the play along aspect. Still not the ideal but if you are on the road it is pretty good.

A TB'r asked me what the gator case model number was, here it is...Gator GX-Bag 15" x 13" x 13" Rugged Utility Bag. Easily holds some extra things like pedals but also can get heavy real quick adding items. I don't travel with a band anymore but on trips around the country I need the comfort of a bass and headphones hurt my ears.

Quick note about the deltalite speaker driver, it has really matured. At first it was harsh and somewhat brittle but with time I could not be happier using it as a replacement. I can use my Yamaha TRB5 low b string quite adequately in contrast to my old (now gone) workingman's 12 which would break up the sound at that frequency. I wonder if the amp/speaker combination is a factor?

19. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    I'm gonna quote myself from a different thread b/c it's relvant here.

--Bomb :bassist:
    Nano Rigs of “Doom” Club no. 1

20. bignige

bignige

Feb 1, 2011
    Hi
    I regularly use a line 6 studio 110 live. I play in a blues/rock band and believe me we are not quiet!! OK so the studio 110 isn't quite up to it without assistance but linked to another amp (in my case a Trace Elliott Boxer 65 - yes only 65 watts - it doesn't need a great deal more) via the pre-amp out this little amp can really hold it's own. Prior to this I was using an Ashdown MAG 300, and I reckon this little rig (studio 110 + TE boxer 65 - linked) delivers much more 'welly' in a pub gig situation.

I have used this set up since November 2009, and it has proven itself really well. In fact on one gig in October 2010 the Trace Elliott decided it didn't want to play - I think it was dodgy electrics in the venue as I've had no problem since, but I had no choice but to use the Studio 110 alone in our first set. I really had to push this little amp REALLY HARD, and though I wouldn't reccomend this treatment on a regular basis it held up and performed superbly.

Depending upon what output is required from an amp I would say that a Studio 110 linked to a suitable slave amp is fine for most pub/club gigs. Better still if you need that little bit extra you can still use the XLR DI out at the same time. It certainly makes for a powerful compact bass rig.

Regards
    Bignige