Line6 M5 or Zoom MS-70 CDR

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NoiseNinja, Dec 31, 2016.

Tags:
  1. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I already own a Zoom B3, but I am pondering on investing in a single stomp multi effect as well at some point, with more focus of effects that does not include distortion, pre-amps and amp emulators.

Especially interested in delays (here I would like the option of making the delay oscillate, which is not possible with any of the delay effects on the B3) and reverbs, but am also interested in filters/synths, octavers and other effects.

I was wondering which of these two products at almost the same price tag you would recommend and why?

Which offers the highest quality of effects and which has most useful effects in your opinion?

I think I am leaning towards the M5, as I have owned one previously, but would still like to hear you opinions.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  2. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    I went through the same dilemma a while back and my conclusion was to buy a 70cdr. The issue with the M5 is that I often read it benefitted from a few mods to get it up to the sonic standard of the 70cdr (most, but certainly not all users agree with this statement). Also, even with the scene mod (most popular mod to do next to upgrading the switches and jacks) the M5 can only use one effect at a time; whereas the 70cdr can stack up to 6 effects (e.g.,chorus into delay into some ethereal reverb) and still toggle through a bunch of other patches. So I chose a 70cdr and ran it through a One Control Mosquite blender in case I wanted to do parallel blending with a reverb or bypass an effect without leaving the patch. I believe YouTube has a few vids comparing the two pedals.

NoiseNinja likes this.
  3. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Inactive

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Thank you for the answer, it certainly made me reconsider if I was right at leaning towards the M5.

One question remains though, will I be able to push the delays in the MS-70 CDR into oscillation?

I don't quite understand why Zoom left this option out of the delays on the B3, even if I realize it is not a feature I'll use often or a lot of players would ever use, I just like it to be there, cause it certainly can be a very cool effect used correctly.

4. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Self oscillation? Not something I use either, but I think so:

NoiseNinja likes this.
  5. J Posega

J Posega Cat Dad and Dingwall Enthusiast Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    The MS70 pitch shifters suck. There's no "synth" patch in it, either. Combined with a fuzz and octave down, lots of the effects help make killer synths aounds though. The delays, chorus, and reverb are good.

I've had a MS70 for a couple years and haven't even bothered programming patches into it.... I usually just use it when noodling or live I'll have the line selector model first in line so I can turn all the FX after it off or on.

It works well for my needs but I often think of upgrading, too bad the only pedals that do so many things just as well or better are bigger and way more costly

NoiseNinja likes this.
  6. I see the zoom cdr70 as something of a poor musicians eventide h9. It can't do all the h9 does, but can stack effects in ways the h9 can't. Doesn't sound quite as good, but in a mix it's really hard to tell the difference.
    It has a few incredible delays and reverbs, excellent everyday simple delays, some nice chorus. The pitch shifting sucks, usable eq and an ok noise gate.
    As with all multis, you'll have to dive into editing before it's usable with bass.

7. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    it's easy to tell difference in the mix. i owned CDR about half of year, so i know.

8. The m5 is pretty good for some effects. Basically all the dirt (overdrive, distortion, fuzz) and synth stuff is pretty terrible. But it's really good at a lot of other effects. It's great for reverb and delay. It's also a good pedal for effects like chorus, flanger, phaser, and Tremolo that you might not use a lot but want to have for a song here or there.

In my opinion the delays, reverbs, and tuner alone make it well worth the price. And even if you only used it for those three things it's relatively small and much cheaper compared to having three separate pedals for them.

9. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I have owned an M5 previously and currently I own a Zoom MS-100BT. I used the M5 a lot for simple delays and interesting reverbs, mostly, and as a noise gate when not doing those things. I also liked some of the synth sounds on it, but they were better on guitar than on bass.

For the 100BT, I mostly got it as a noise gate + Swiss Army knife for fun effects. Some of the effects are cool, like the Strymon Ice emulation. Others are not very good, like I tried the acoustic simulator on guitar; I get this weird crackling that just sounds like garbage.

The reason I changed is because of size and the fact that going between patch and preset modes on the M5 was rough (I didn't have the scene switch mod for this). Plus, I wanted to use multiple effects and have some fun new things to play with. One downgrade for me was losing MIDI, which was helpful with the M5.

If size was not important, and I was focused on sound quality and primarily going to be using delays, I would probably choose the M5. If I wanted more of a "fun" pedal, or at least one that could do it all in a pinch, I might stick with the Zoom.