1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Line6 Pod Go

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Plastalmonus, Jan 16, 2020.

1. jimfist, Nunovsky and BrentSimons like this.
  2. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    "Line 6’s new floorboard supports third-party IR loading..."
    That's nice. Great feature.

Anyone see a target price?

- John

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. I think it will be in the the POD territory, say like below 500 maybe?

Since there won't be any great parallel routing option like on the flagships, I don't think this will be too nice for bass players. However, we'll see.

BrentSimons and Skybone like this.
  4. Northfear

Northfear

Mar 15, 2017
    HX Stomp is already at 600. Something like 800 maybe?
    Looks interesting. Wondering if there's more DSP power in it or is it just HX Stomp with a few more switches, a pedal and bigger (or unlocked) block limit.

BrentSimons likes this.
  5. zeeinn

zeeinn

Jan 16, 2020
    +1
    [​IMG]

BrentSimons likes this.
  6. Tandark

Tandark

Jun 16, 2015
    UK
    According to Eric Klein - "All models from Helix (with very few caveats); $449.99. April."

BrentSimons likes this.
  7. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017
    Earth, Planet
    This could be Line 6's alternative to Multifx units like the Zoom b3n, Boss GT1B, Mooer GE200, or Hotone stuff that's on the other end of the market

BrentSimons likes this.
  8. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Looks interesting, are Line6 finally realising that they need something to fill the HD500x gap?

BrentSimons likes this.
  9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Man, I'm not usually in the "Why doesn't it include this or that" crowd. But no XLR out? Really?

10. MascisMan

MascisMan Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    ......and no XLR out.....

...and yes I know about the 1/4" TRS to XLR solution having owned both HxFx and Hx Stomps, however, all other similar units on the market provide an XLR out, and, this is a larger unit than the Stomp so I don't think real estate can be an argument.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
  11. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Which units are you referring too? To be comparable, I'd say they need to be in the same range of $400-500. I know we don't really know the full details on the POD Go yet. Do the other mulit-effect units have as many options for high quality effects and amp models? The comparable units from Line 6 that do have an XLR out aren't nearly as packed with those options. Those are getting old, after all. Hotone Ampero has an XLR output. Those appear to be $400 new. Never used one myself.

Line 6 certainly has a track record of taking decisions like this seriously and usually has good reasons for why they've left things on or off of their units. Whether or not anyone disagrees with their choices is not for me to say. As with all their stuff, it won't serve everyone. But 1/4" to XLR adapters are small, cheap, and easy to carry around.

BrentSimons likes this.
  12. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    An XLR out is not an expensive feature to include. The comparison (vs. competitors) of the quality of the on-board effects/amp models seems irrelevant to my question.

What I'm saying is, it is not expensive to add on an XLR out. In my opinion, people would much rather have a more organic, integrated, option than using a dongle cable (which is something additional to carry, to accidentally forget, and to fail).

I think the "issue" stems from design idea. For example, with the HxFx, the reasoning was primarily that it was not designed to go direct, per se, it was designed to be the next evolution of multi-effects unit which then goes in to your amp. It does not have amp sims for this reason as well. That makes logical sense to me. People can use this unit to replace a large portion, if not all, effects on their boards and couple it with their amps.

Then, the Stomp came along with amp sims, however, the compact size of the unit restricted adding an XLR out especially given all the other I/O on board. This prompted the 1/4" to XLR "fix." This also makes perfect sense. In this scenario, the cable fix is understandable.

Now we have a unit that basically bridges the gap of the Stomp (amp sims on-board) and the HxFx (larger physical real estate). It can basically do most everything, just with limited DSP compared to its bigger brothers. It carries virtually the same I/O as the Stomp (despite it's size). I don't understand the logic now. It is not to keep costs down. It's not for a lack room. It's not because it isn't intended to be an amp replacement. I think the reasoning now is, don't undercut the other products in the same line. At least that is how it appears. Who knows, I could be wrong. Maybe the larger screen and additional switches takes up more internal room than I am imagining.

The units I was referring to though are other physically similar units. Units like the Atomic Amplifier 6 has two XLR outs. Also, the Zoom B3 has an XLR out. These two manufacturers also aren't really competing against themselves in their own product lines though.

Thisguy and imabuddha like this.
  13. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I agree there's a product hole between the HXFX (no amp sims) and the Helix LT (sims but twice the price). I don't personally think the POD Go is intended to be that solution. Not knowing the full details, I suspect the HX Stomp and HXFX (minus the amp sims) are more capable units than this is going to be. Otherwise they're eating their own lunch, and Line 6 tries pretty hard not to do that. Perhaps the output isn't switchable between instrument and line level.

I think the target here is a more casual or non-tech savvy user that won't care about having to use a dongle when needed. Someone using this is probably not also using additional effects (though the single loop option is there). It's not full Helix here, it will have a different editor that I'm assuming will be simplified. Guessing there won't be parallel path options either.

I think the lack of the XLR could also signal that a solution that has XLR output(s) may be in the pipeline between the LT and HXFX. Sure seems like there's a big price gap there that could be filled and might sell well. But Line 6 does their market research, not me.

IMO the quality of the effects and sims is 100% related. I don't believe an XLR output matters if the unit doesn't sound good, isn't as flexible & powerful, or is difficult to use. From my experience, I know the Line 6 Helix models sound great. If someone disagrees, well they wouldn't be buying this unit either. I haven't used the other options though. IMO the other competing units in the same price range might have more in/out options, but they won't sound as good, be as durable, or be as powerful and easy to use.

This is to say nothing of how full the internals are on this unit. For all we know, there may not have even been room for an XLR.

MascisMan likes this.
  14. They have an FAQ up here.
    ____

What’s the deal with POD Go?
    POD Go is Line 6’s all new next generation POD, built to toss into your backpack or carry-on and take anywhere. Oh, and it’s incredibly easy to use—might be the easiest POD since the original POD in 1999.

How much can you run simultaneously?
    Each preset in POD Go includes the following blocks:

• Input with Noise Gate
    • Amp or Preamp (all HX models)
    • Hybrid Cab from Helix—OR—1x Impulse Response (up to 128 user IRs can be loaded into POD Go via the Mac/PC editor)
    • Preset EQ (any HX type)
    • Wah (any HX type)
    • Up to 4 additional effects (any HX type), with the following caveats:
      • Three HX effects models have been omitted due to their size (Tone Sovereign, Clawthorn Drive, and Cosmos Echo)
      • All Distortions, Dynamics, and Pitch/Synth blocks are mono only
      • All other effects are stereo only
    • Volume Pedal
    • FX Loop (mono or stereo)
    • Output with Volume and Pan
    The FX Loop and Preset EQ blocks are automatically assigned to stomp switches, and adding any additional effects automatically assigns them to the remaining stomp switches. Press and hold any two stomp switches to swap them.

If it has nearly all models from HX and Helix products, why call this a POD at all?
    The original POD set the standard for ease-of-use in digital guitar and bass products. We wanted POD Go to be ridiculously easy-to-use, which meant purposefully omitting some power user features one would expect to find in HX or Helix-branded products. And not putting the best modeling possible in a box just because it happens to be less expensive—of have a different name—is weak sauce.

What about some of the cooler Helix features like Snapshots, color switch rings, block copy/paste, 3-second footswitch assignment, 3-second controller assignment, multichannel USB audio, and re-amping?
    POD Go has all of these.

So can you use this on professional gigs?
    Of course. The main outputs on POD Go are balanced/unbalanced and with TRS 1/4” to XLR M cables, can feed the front-of-house mixer—in stereo—without additional DI boxes. Then the 1/4” AMP OUT can be sent to your amp onstage (either echoing the Main Outs or tapped off before the Cab/IR block). The routable stereo send/return jacks can be used for 4-Cable Method.

Is there a Mac/PC editor?
    Yes. POD Go Edit should be available by the time POD Go ships.

Does POD Go have an audio interface?
    Yes. POD Go has a 24-bit/96kHz, 4-in/4-out audio/MIDI interface with re-amping built in.

Why didn’t you put VDI, L6 LINK, AES/EBU, S/PDIF, MIDI, parallel paths, dual DSPs, cap-sense switches, scribble strips, blah blah blah?!
    Because POD shouldn’t cost what Helix costs.

Dimensions/weight? Is it smaller than POD HD500X?
    14.1”w x 9.1”d x 3.5”h; 5.2lbs
    It’s way smaller and lighter than POD HD500X. Fits inside pretty much any backpack or carry-on.

What’s the price?
    POD Go sells for $449.99 US street.

When is POD Go shipping?
    April.

____

The budget all in one solution that will have people dumping their HX Stomps on the used market for me to purchase? I'm in!

15. Chace90

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Thanks for this!

100% a budget version of the Helix stuff. Not as capable as a Stomp. But for a lot of people it should fit the bill. Not me personally, but I think it's a solid product choice.

BrentSimons, MascisMan and Seashore like this.
  16. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    Agree. It is an entry-level, DSP limited, LT (sans XLR Out). Similar to a Stomp in being an ampless solution + effects, similar to an HxFx in footswitch flexibility and size (a little larger than the HxFx), similar to an LT with the added pedal.

It is very cool that they retained Snapshots. That in conjunction with the HxFx switches allows a little wiggle room around some of the DSP limitations.

I wonder if the order of blocks (the chain) can be rearranged or if they are static? Im assuming the Input/Outputs are locked in place.

"Then the 1/4” AMP OUT can be sent to your amp onstage (either echoing the Main Outs or tapped off before the Cab/IR block)."

By "or tapped off" do they mean it requires the use of a block? Hopefully not. The irony is, that if it doesn't require the use of a block, the Stomp can't do that. So I imagine it will.

"So can you use this on professional gigs?
    Of course. The main outputs on POD Go are balanced/unbalanced and with TRS 1/4” to XLR M cables, can feed the front-of-house mixer—in stereo—without additional DI boxes."

Still unsure why it doesn't have an XLR out... ;) Oh well.

17. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    BrentSimons and MascisMan like this.
  18. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    Retired
    I'm interested in this. Have been saving up for an HX Stomp. Knowing that NAMM was so close, I controlled myself over the holidays. Seeing this product, I think I made a good choice to wait.

My needs aren't extreme - need a good cleanish echoey guitar sound, a good overdriven sound for lap steel, a super clean/reverb/delay sound for pedal steel, an acoustic guitar patch and a bass patch. Except for bass, I could use all of those patches in one night of playing since I'm the utility player/multi-instrumentalist in my outfit. If the Pod Go can do that, I'm in.

I can do all of this (except bass) with the Line6 Amplifi TT (desktop unit). That works fine for when I'm parked at my desk in the studio. Not such a good form factor on stage/at a session.

The audio interface is a bonus, but not a requirement for me. The 1/4" TRS output will work just fine in almost any application I can think of. I've got a few 1/4" TRS to XLS cables on hand.

BrentSimons and MascisMan like this.
  19. MascisMan

Nov 21, 2003
    Dallas, Tx
    And in some situations this unit actually offers more DSP capability than the Stomp.

Take a look at the Blocks included:

How much can you run simultaneously?
    Each preset in POD Go includes the following blocks:

• Input with Noise Gate
    • Amp or Preamp (all HX models)
    • Hybrid Cab from Helix—OR—1x Impulse Response (up to 128 user IRs can be loaded into POD Go via the Mac/PC editor)
    • Preset EQ (any HX type)
    • Wah (any HX type)
    • Up to 4 additional effects (any HX type), with the following caveats:
      • Three HX effects models have been omitted due to their size (Tone Sovereign, Clawthorn Drive, and Cosmos Echo)
      • All Distortions, Dynamics, and Pitch/Synth blocks are mono only
      • All other effects are stereo only
    • Volume Pedal
    • FX Loop (mono or stereo)
    • Output with Volume and Pan

So, the Amp, Cab/IR, Preset EQ, Fx Loop, and 4 additional effects would be 8 blocks in a Stomp preset. Assuming you don't need the parallel paths, you are getting more here than a Stomp, capability-wise.

I think most bass players don't care that they lose the stereo versions of Distortions/Dynamics/Synth blocks or the Cosmos Echo block. Losing the Clawthorn kind of sucks though. Its a good effect.

Using my primary personal Stomp preset as an example,

I run LA Studio Comp - Bass Octaver - Teemah! - Agua 51 amp - HPF/LPF - Chamber (reverb). With the Pod Go I can run this same exact preset but also get an additional FX Loop block. Plus I would get the added footswitch flexibility, onboard Volume pedal, and it's cheaper than a Stomp.

....and come to think of it....I could use the locked and unused Cab/IR block empty with no IR loaded yet use the HPF/LPF/Gain that comes in that block as my HPF/LPF, freeing up another block for something else. So theoretically, I would get my current preset + FX Loop + bonus block.

20. I think it's great to go with the Helix sound quality and just downscale everything else in order to be reasonably priced. My guess wasn't wrong at all.