Line6 Relay G10 Crapped Out?!?!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BigEarl, Feb 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. BigEarl

BigEarl

Sep 29, 2003
    Elgin, TX
    Here's the situation:
    • I'm home working on refining the setting on my pedal board.
    • Signal flow looks like this: MIA P - Line6 Relay G10 - Polytune 2 mini - Empress Compressor - GK MB800 - two Barefaced One10 cabs
    • Had Crossroads on in the background, Joe Walsh come out and starts Rocky Mountain Way.
    • Got the itch, grabbed my Boss OC-2 (GREAT for RMW) and slapped it in between the compressor and the amp, this is where things went wonky
    Because I had nowhere to set the pedal while twiddling with it (I'm 6'4" and wasn't about to to go down to the floor to dial in a setting) I set it temporarily on the G10 base (had the transmitter plugged into my P.) When I took the mute off the MB, the whole thing started squealing like a pig, I hit the mute and I could hear a weird low volume pulse coming through the speakers.

I was not that loud, had zero problems with any of the system prior to hooking in the OC-2 (after taking the G10 out of the loop, everything including the OC-2 sounded great.) The only thing I can think of was the base (G10 receiver) didn't much like something sitting on top of it, y'know radio signals and all, but the really strange thing is that now it is not working at all. It wouldn't light up, so I tried another wall wart and it lit up but it will not receive a signal.

Any ideas? (other than "get a cable, dummy!")

Thanks in advance!

2. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Starke, FL
    Owner: JLA Custom In Ear Monitors
    Mine is doing the "red ring of death" routine. Guess it thinks it's an X box.

3. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I'm not sure if it's possible, but could the pedal's location have inadvertently switched the channel on the G10 receiver?

4. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Weird. Mine's been fine, I'll have to make sure not to set anything on top of it. Wouldn't think something as light as a single Boss pedal would do damage like that.

It doesn't have any channel controls, everything is automatic (including when it breaks, apparently)

5. tfer

tfer

Jan 1, 2014
    I dropped my G30 transmitter once and it stopped working. I nearly had a stroke until I realized that it landed in such a way as to change the channel!

6. LeeHend

LeeHend

Jun 6, 2008
    Dublin, CA
    Please tell me more about this "red ring of death"? I have gone through 3 new G10's. And now the third one has stopped charging and displays the red ring of death. What do you know about the problem?

7. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Starke, FL
    Make sure it is seated well in the charger/reciever. Mine is OK now. Odd, but true

8. LeeHend

LeeHend

Jun 6, 2008
    Dublin, CA
    MY EXPERIENCE W/ THE "NOT CHARGING ISSUE AND HOW I FIXED IT":

I have a total of 7 active basses. Two of the basses are Sire Marcus Millers. I have been through a total of 4 G10T transmitters, all 3 of which have stopped charging over time. During the time I was using these 3 transmitters I narrowed the problem down to using my two Sire basses. There was something about these two basses that was killing the G10T transmitter. I took some time to dredge up some of my old Electronic Test Engineering skills and ran a couple of tests that proved that the two Sire basses were sending an 18.00 volt pulse across the guitars output jack whenever you plugged or unplugged your cable. So I took a couple of my other basses apart (Fender/Sadowsky, Carvin, MusicMan). What I found was with the other basses the Switchcraft jack that was installed had a separate battery voltage switch. On the Sire basses the same part was a cheaper component which sent the battery current through the jack while the plug is being inserted.

I researched and found the same Switchcraft (Digikey) part that was being used in the Carvin bass. (I will provide pictures and part numbers). I removed the old jack and installed the new one. This fixed the problem.

How to test:

Take a cable, and at one end put your voltmeter, then slide the other end of the cable slowly into the guitar. If at any point you see + or - volts on the meter, you need to change the jack to (Switchcraft Part # (TBD)).

Post your results.

BassikLee likes this.
  9. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Starke, FL
    Eagerly awaiting your part numbers. In addition to that fix, there is a fix for the micro USB on the reciever currently making the rounds on the line6 forums. It involves a 9V to 5V converter board, and 2.1mm receptacle. I'll post pics after mine is done.

10. Here's a different mod for the micro usb issues, if you don't mind using usb, you just want a more secure connection. I bought a female usb A connector with cable, intended for mounting in a cabinet. The cable has just two leads, so it's for power only, not data transfer. Soldered the cable to the capasitor. Unsoldered and removed the xlr connector. Mounted the usb connector where the xlr connector used to be. Now you can connect with a regular male-to-male usb cable. You can still use the micro usb for firmware updates, but it's probably not a good idea to use both at the same time.

Of course, you don't have to remove the xlr connector. I just did it because I never use it, and the usb connector was the same diameter. You can probably get a smaller connector and make a hole for it somewhere.

line61.JPG
    line62.JPG
    line63.JPG

DirtyDuke likes this.
  11. Spblat

Spblat

Apr 25, 2016
    What a rollercoaster I've been on with the G10. When it works it's stupendous. So much more convenient than other systems because it's rechargeable and it's stupidly quick and easy to switch to another instrument. But I added an 18V bass to my lineup recently and I think that's what bricked my first G10T, and also instabricked a second one sent by Line 6 support. Now that I'm on my third one, I'm very close to giving up on this product. But here's what I believe:
    • The G10 transmitter is TRS instead of simply mono TS because that's what was necessary for it to take a charge from the bass. It's clever but highly problematic for active basses.
    • Keeping in mind @LeeHend's note above, an active bass sends a voltage into the cable while you're plugging it in, which is easily verified. Under the right (wrong) circumstances this might brick the transmitter. A ruined transmitter will give you a pulsing red ring of death on the base when docked.
    • It seems to me that the little button at the root of the G10T's connector (the thing that mutes you when you disconnect) is probably also designed to protect the G10T from the voltage you get during insertion. So bricking during insertion might be a bad hypothesis. Plus if the adapter is supposed to protect the G10T, one should insert the adapter into the instrument, and only *then* insert the G10, to avoid exposing it to insertion voltage. Having to do this would entirely eliminate the convenience of the G10 for switching instruments.
    • If I were Line 6 I would be furiously working on a Relay G15, which would use inductive charging, making it possible to keep the charging/power circuitry entirely separate from the signal circuitry. I'm not the first person to have this idea.
    Anyway. On a whim I put a TRS cable into my basses and measured voltage across tip, ring and sleeve:
    • Schecter with 18V Darkglass Tone Capsule: SR -18V; RT 17V, ST 0V
    • Ibanez SRF705: SR -8V, RT 8V, ST 0V
    • Carvin LB70 with active electronics: SR -9V, RT 9V, ST 0V
    I used my Carvin and an entirely different bass with this system for months and months without issue. Then I traded away a bass and got the Ibanez and the Schecter at roughly the same time. So my go-forward hypothesis is:
    1. Carvin and Ibanez both present the same voltages. Carvin didn't brick G10T, therefore it's safe to use the Ibanez with G10T without the adapter. (I had to 3D-print a spacer to make the Ibby's recessed jack accessible to the G10T.)
    2. The 18V Schecter will kablooie the G10T without the adapter.
    3. 18V is too many volts anyway. Convert the Schecter to 9V and try again.
    If I don't edit or follow up, then my hypothesis worked out. Please wish me luck.

EDIT: #1 hypothesis was correct. #2 hypothesis was correct. Converted the Schecter to 9V, confirmed the voltages presented are the same as the other two basses. Tried the G10T and fried the charging circuitry. The G10 still works but won't take a charge. So when the G10's battery dies that is that.

What a damn shame this product is.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  12. Bass Silly

Bass Silly

Mar 8, 2018
    Im playing a Fender Standard Jass and a Fender P both with original passive pick ups. I got a g 10 for Christmas. It failed right out of the box. I took it back tp L & M where it was purchased from. As usual the service at L & M was superb and they exchaned it no problem. Here I am 8 months later and it craps out at a gig. Fortunatley the cord i was using for the base station was long enough to reach my position. The g 10 doesn’t charge or tramsmitt any more and when in the base station the light om the transmitter does not come on abd the base station flashes red constantly. I do not recommend this problem.

13. Spblat

Spblat

Apr 25, 2016
    Yep. They should stop selling them. They work until a random little voltage or static spike fries the transmitter and then you get the pulsing red rings of death. Then again my guitarist loves his and he's been fine with it for years.

14. BassikLee

Feb 13, 2004
    Starke, FL
    Not that many years. I think the G10 is maybe all of two years old as a model.

Spblat likes this.
  15. danilocesar

danilocesar

May 5, 2018
    When you think that the M5 fiasco was enough, line6 come up with another bad designed product.

I'm using the G10 for practices. It goes silent for half a second from time to time (happens once each time I use it) and I'm already preparing myself to accept the fact that it's going to die soon.