1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

lined fretless veneers? where to get?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by andy311, Mar 14, 2008.

1. andy311

andy311 Llama Taboot Taboot

May 24, 2007
    oxford, ms
  2. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
  3. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    You can also get a decent selection fomr LMII:

http://www.lmii.com/CartTwo/thirdpr...ameProdHeader=Wood+Strips+for+Purfling+&+Trim

or most any .020 veneer will work.

I like to flood my veneers with superglue, let them dry, and (LIGHTLY!) sand them smooth... that way they act more like a plastic when working with them. I feel that they are more sturdy, and don't tend to split as badly if the grain is curved or curly.

This is a bloodwood fingerboard with .020 birch veneer:

[​IMG]

4. andy311

andy311 Llama Taboot Taboot

May 24, 2007
    oxford, ms
    thanks for the help guys i think im good to go. i just hope it turns out good. many thanks

5. Worshiper

Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I usually just use 1/32" birch plywood... you can get a huge sheet of it from Michael's for like $7.

6. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    I used a saw to widen the slots on this de-fret and filled them in with the binding plastic.

DSCF0072.

7. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    What kind of saw did you use? what thickness?

8. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    I can't remember exactly, but I think it was your tipical garden variety hacksaw. The grooves made by the frets were guiding the was so it was easier to do then one might expect. I tried it on a piece of scrapwood first to see how hard it would be to do and to check the fit.

9. pgurns

pgurns

Dec 26, 2003
    Northern, IL
    Cool Thanks for the info. After reading this thread and the one that's stickied in the repair forum i think I'm gonna try it out. I have a TBC with a spare neck laying around so if I screw up I still have a good neck to put on it.