Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lined fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by clouddead, Nov 24, 2003.

1. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    i was at guitar center (blah), today. and i played a lined fretless pedulla pentabuzz. it was awesome. i love the mwah. now im sold on the lined fretless. but i love the jack bruce warwick thumb fretless. i was wondering if getting a lined fretless bass from warwick was an option (looked on their site and didnt find much info). also what other companies have the lined fretless option. looking for a 4 string. suggestions?

2. so you've decided that you must have lines?...cause lines don't really change the mwah factor very much.

3. Fender.

[​IMG]
    Treena

4. clouddead

clouddead

Jan 15, 2003
    orlando
    id prefer to not have lines actually as far as the look of the bass. its just maybe im intimidated by no lines. i have been playing for a year and i have been very interested in a fretless bass. love the sound and look. im gonna try and stay away from fenders. i picked up a marcus miller jazz and it just didnt feel right at all. but yeah, im willing to put in the time to work on my inotation. i had an instructor, but had to stop because my parents said my grades werent good enough. but i have been doing better, and they said i could start back up with lessons after christmas.. sooo, ya.

5. Sorry, just reminds me of something off-topic...did Jack Bruce play anythign other than the Fender Bass VI he had?

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Jaco's had lines, so mine have lines.

[​IMG]

7. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    what's up with MM's bass?

8. freemole

freemole

May 24, 2003
    i have a lined fretless thumb i'll sell ya.

9. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Jaco only needed 4 lined fretless strings. :p

Nice basses you have there Munji. I can tell the Lakland, but what is the one on the left?

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Try a Sterling. I'm surprised at the tone and versatility this thing puts out. Plus IMO its the most comfortable fretless I've ever played. I do prefer lines myself btw.

[​IMG]

11. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    You want lined fretless? Check out this Turner Electroline:

[​IMG]

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Pedulla ThunderBolt 5. Thanks.

13. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Here's my Rick Turner...semi lined:

[​IMG]

14. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Pic of fretlines:

[​IMG]

15. artistanbul

artistanbul Nihavend Longa Vita Brevis

Apr 15, 2003
    Turkey-Istanbul
    very nice brooks.

16. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    To answer the original question, Warwick will put lines on a bass-they'll do just about anything for a price. But the Jack Bruce signature was a limited run, so you probably won't be able to get one of those with lines.

17. I know he also played a Gibson EB-somethin' (the SG-shaped model), and now he plays his sig model Warwick.

18. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    The lined/unlined debate has raged here before, but whatever your opinion the fact remains that when playing fretless good (I'll avoid the word perfect ) intonation is an absolute must . The average player is most likely to acheive the proper intonation with a lined fretless.

Some great suggestions here for basses with lined fretless fingerboards. The Pentabuzz you played has a thick poly-epoxy coating on the fingerboard that you won't find standard on many other basses. I personally love that coating. You can use roundwound strings and never ever have to worry about wearing through the coating.

If you're on a budget, other basses to consider are the Lakland Skyline 44-01 or 44-02 (approx. $700 and $1100 respectively), and the MTD Kingston ( under $500, I think).

19. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I played lined fretless for years. The last fretless I owned was an unlined Warwick.

I understand how one might be intimidated by the absence of lines, but in fact they don't really help that much.

First of all, staring at your left hand the whole time you are playing isn't very attractive to your listeners or exciting for yourself.

But more importantly, they just don't help that much. With fretless, your finger is stopping the string on the board. Depending on the angle, shape, pressure, etc. of your finger and its relative position to your head, you could stop the string almost anywhere +/- 1/8" or more and still look as if you are on the line to your eye. Depending on how high you are on the neck, this can make a huge difference as to whether or not you are playing on pitch.

The point is, you have to train your ear anyway to play fretless. Whether it has lines or not. The unlined necks still have side makers to help you when you are starting out.

I have nothing at all against lined fretless basses, I just wouldn't allow that keep you from getting the bass that has the feel and tone that you ultimately are looking for.