1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lining a Fretless...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by sfguitarworks, Oct 2, 2013.

1. sfguitarworks

sfguitarworks Commercial User

Jan 3, 2010
    San Francisco
    Owner - SF Guitarworks
    Hey Gang, Not a new subject, but I had a customer bring in a beautiful 6-string Roscoe fretless for lines last week. The side dots were placed at the fret location, which made through-slots undesirable as they would have cut through the dots. Using the Plek, I was able to use the pocketed fret slot function to cut the marker lines inside the fingerboard edges. I made a dummy fingerboard out of generic 1/8" hard board to test the slot location. It took me three cuts to get them exactly where I wanted them, but they came out great. I used .020 white fiber veneer from LMII for the lines and it looks great against the Dymondwood. Thanks for looking!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Deep Cat

Deep Cat Supporting Member

The pic links seem broken. Which based upon your description makes me more than a little sad.

3. sfguitarworks

Jan 3, 2010
    San Francisco
    Owner - SF Guitarworks
    Hope that fixes the pics...

4. EmptyCup

EmptyCup

Feb 25, 2013
    Nashville Area
    Wow, thats pretty cool. This would make me consider a used unlined board I may have overlooked in the past.
    Nice work!

5. Great work. Though in my opinion unlined looks much better.

6. ...I know that bass, it belongs to Tom L, right? It is one of my favorites. :)

Nice work! :bassist:

7. sfguitarworks

Jan 3, 2010
    San Francisco
    Owner - SF Guitarworks
    Hi Gard, It does belong to Tom. What a great guy. The bass was cool too! I particularly liked the attention to the neck/body joint, as everything flowed very well. As for the lined/unlined - Tom's bass, Tom's decision!

8. Geoff, thanks - I'll let the guys know you appreciate their workmanship.

Tom's a great guy, and if this makes him happier with the bass, then we're all for it!