1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Link Bass and Cello aka Engelhardt

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by x77x, Dec 6, 2018 at 9:30 AM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x77x

x77x Banned SUSPENDED

Thursday
    hey guys, new here... just saw that Link Bass and Cello aka Engelhardt-Link aka Kay has a new website and you can order direct from Tom, AND they have a lower price than anywhere else....

linkbassandcello.com

im getting a swingmaster, im sooooo excited...
    my first real bass =)

price is amazing

what dont you like about Link?

i know they recently went from a spruce laminated top ply, to a curly maple top ply

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 7:02 PM
  2. Jsn

Jsn upright citizen

Oct 15, 2006
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Um, any chance you’re affiliated with Link? Because, to be honest, this reads like advertising copy.

3. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    Terrible instruments.

4. x77x

x77x Banned SUSPENDED

Thursday
    how so? who pays over 2k for a bass unless your a east coast rich ******* or a professional player...
    im talking intermediate

are you saying the new ones?
    old ones?

im sure a expensive basses are nicer... not everyone can afford one

i thought engelhardt had a good reputation?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 4:02 PM
  5. Sorry about the rain on your parade. It's easy to take pot-shots from a high altitude.

If you've got one of these basses lined up with your money down already, enjoy it! If not, you might want to look around and talk to a few local double bass teachers and/or pro players before you purchase.

Setup is everything though, so make sure to take any double bass you get to a pro for setup so you can play the beast. Then some lessons would probably be a great way to lay the foundation for your playing technique.

Have fun!!!

s0707 and TroyK like this.
  6. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    20 years ago, maybe. Now there are lots of good makers out there offering well made hybrids at an entry level prices. 2K is standard for a decent bass. I am nowhere close to rich, but, you have to be able to raise money around that to play double bass. There will be repairs, amplification, travel instruments, bows, rehairs, strings. You have you settle an deal with it.

7. x77x

x77x Banned SUSPENDED

Thursday
    what other makers do you speak of?

whats the dif from then to now?

8. damonsmith

damonsmith

May 10, 2006
    Quincy, MA
    The main thing is the Chinese makers getting into and getting good. A Shen is a far better instrument for the money. There are others around as well. Lots of threads on it. Starting on a heavy, over built, over priced ply is not a given anymore.

9. J_Bass

J_Bass

Feb 7, 2008
    Porto, Portugal
    I think this is spam. Reported.

10. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp

Apr 13, 2006
    Colorado
    It always amazes me how some people from the “polite” parts of the country can’t wait to take shots aimed at the place I come from. We must really be jerks!

Sam Dingle and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  11. x77x

x77x Banned SUSPENDED

Thursday
    sorry i just hate everyone from the east coast... =) that was sarcasm

but whats the dif from say a chinese and something made here?

i read somewhere "china is the new germany..."

whats the problems with engelhardt?

they use laminate maple instead of laminate spruce... does that really make that much of a difference in sound? everyones bodys are maple

obviously when the market is flooded with chinese basses for half the price, it puts a dent in everyones business

i dont know about you but a swingmaster for $1850 sounds good to me, its blond, beautiful and made in america by a family owned company =P

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 4:18 PM
  12. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Have you already bought or are you shopping? It would help us to know.

If you've already bought, then the right response is "congrats! find a qualified luthier to help you get set up and a qualified teacher to help you develop some technique and keep us posted."

If you haven't made a purchase yet, we can help you consider alternatives. You may end up making the same choice anyway, but then it would be an informed choice. If you've already purchased, though, we'd just be trolling and believe it or not, no one here wants to do that.

s0707, dhergert and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  13. Nobody’s bodies are maple. Only the one outer veneer. The other layers are usually poplar.

I’ve owned and worked on Engelhardts old and new. The old ones were already too heavy, but the new ones are built like PT boats. That’s actually good for playing heavily amplified, but mass is the mortal enemy of acoustic volume and tone.

The real mistake with the Kay design that Tom Link, bless his heart because I like the guy, continues to make is that the necks are completely wrong in every way.

The profile is made for kids to play so they’re way too skinny. That hinders development of left hand technique, is prone to warping, and other problems.

The fit heel to body is not a proper mortise and tenon, which have increased surface area that makes them stronger than the Kay design, which is a loose and sloppy mortise and tenon not unlike a Martin guitar. It sacrifices accuracy for ease of production, and if the neck takes a hard whack, instead of popping out of the neck block, they tend to break.

That problem is compounded because the necks are flatsawn rather than quartersawn like literally every other bass ever made. That results in the grain lines running across the heel rather than 90 degrees off axis, which also promotes breaking across the heel.

That’s why almost every Kay bass has a repaired neck.

In that price range, you could get the basic Upton, which is made properly out of better materials by American craftsmen.

Or, for the same money or less, you could get a classic German or Czech plywood bass. My first bass was a nice Hofner ply that cost me $250 plus setup.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 7:46 PM
  14. x77x

x77x Banned SUSPENDED

Thursday
    excellent info KfS, thats the kinda stuff i want to know...

KUNGfuSHERIFF likes this.
  15. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    So...

dhergert and KUNGfuSHERIFF like this.
  16. x77x

x77x Banned SUSPENDED

Thursday
    so a heavy bass isnt a good thing?

17. This thread now has got me wondering: how much is a double bass "supposed" to weigh?

18. x77x

x77x Banned SUSPENDED

Thursday
    i can understand the more wood, the more it deadens the sounds... i got a chinese acoustic guitar its sooooo light and it rings forever...

i made a coffin bass out of thick plywood, and all you hear is thud thud =)

19. TroyK

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    So ... Do you own this bass yet or not?

20. {snap snap} x77x, Troy is asking you a question.

And if you look, all I posted and more has been posted by the generous luthiers who have been members of this forum and freely given their knowledge of this bewitching instrument.

GW, the ideal for violin family instruments is that they are just sturdy enough not to tear themselves apart. The shape of the body of a violin family instrument makes sense when you realize how hard it is to crush an egg end to end in your hand. Try it.

It follows that weight depends on size and form.

It’s a musical instrument, not a Ford Taurus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.