Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"link" input/output on back of cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aabassist, Dec 27, 2002.

1. what is this used for?? when connecting two cabs i just connect the two outputs on the back of the head to the input of each cab, what is the link for? is it input or output?? or what?

2. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho
    I'm not sure exactly what you are describing but I'll take a stab at it. I am assuming you have a solid state amp made in the past decade or so, and that your speaker cabinet is not designed for biamping.

It's pretty common to have (2) 1/4" jacks on the back of a speaker cabinet; they are most likely just wired in parallel. They may be labelled IN/OUT/THRU or not labelled at all (it could just as easily be labelled LINK I suppose). The jacks on the back of the amp (if it has more than one) are probably wired the same way (parallel).

It's important that you only connect one of the jacks on your speaker cab to the output of your amp at a time.

Most likely, plugging it:

amp ---- cabinet1 ---- cabinet2

is the same electrically as:

amp jack#1----- cabinet1
    amp jack#2----- cabinet2

-but wiring it up:

amp jack#1------ cabinet#1
    amp jack#2------ cabinet#1

would probably make you very sad.

It's really hard to give you an accurate answer without knowing the make/model of the amp and speakers.

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    If those jacks are on the same channel, it wouldn't be a problem. Just puts the cables in parallel, effectively doubling the thickness. But, not much reason to do that, just get thick enough cables in the first place :)

4. ESP-LTD

ESP-LTD

Sep 9, 2001
    Idaho

It's been a really long day .... and of course you are absolutely right.