1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

"link" input/output on back of cab??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by aabassist, Dec 27, 2002.

  1. what is this used for?? when connecting two cabs i just connect the two outputs on the back of the head to the input of each cab, what is the link for? is it input or output?? or what?
  2. ESP-LTD


    Sep 9, 2001
    I'm not sure exactly what you are describing but I'll take a stab at it. I am assuming you have a solid state amp made in the past decade or so, and that your speaker cabinet is not designed for biamping.

    It's pretty common to have (2) 1/4" jacks on the back of a speaker cabinet; they are most likely just wired in parallel. They may be labelled IN/OUT/THRU or not labelled at all (it could just as easily be labelled LINK I suppose). The jacks on the back of the amp (if it has more than one) are probably wired the same way (parallel).

    It's important that you only connect one of the jacks on your speaker cab to the output of your amp at a time.

    Most likely, plugging it:

    amp ---- cabinet1 ---- cabinet2

    is the same electrically as:

    amp jack#1----- cabinet1
    amp jack#2----- cabinet2

    -but wiring it up:

    amp jack#1------ cabinet#1
    amp jack#2------ cabinet#1

    would probably make you very sad.

    It's really hard to give you an accurate answer without knowing the make/model of the amp and speakers.
  3. geshel


    Oct 2, 2001
    If those jacks are on the same channel, it wouldn't be a problem. Just puts the cables in parallel, effectively doubling the thickness. But, not much reason to do that, just get thick enough cables in the first place :)
  4. ESP-LTD


    Sep 9, 2001

    It's been a really long day .... and of course you are absolutely right.

Share This Page