1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Link Wray midnight Lover - BBC

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MojoPenguin, Sep 10, 2019.

1. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    Check out that groove on this amazing overlooked song !

2. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I had to Google the bassist John Greaves, I really dug the drummer too.

3. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Quite different from his work in uberprog Henry Cow, but still tight and animated...

4. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    I had a friend when I lived back East that was a Henry Cow freak, but the name didn’t ring a bell. I dig what I’m hearing and probably have a Amazon visit coming up.;)

the harp unstrung likes this.
  5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Further into their story is the addition of the Slapp Happy trio, quite whimsical and quirky on their own, but when paired with HC the music becomes very strident in a Brecht/Weill manner; then there is a corresponding outfit, Hatfield and the North, different sound, leaning toward meandering fusion. That band morphed into National Health, which involved Greaves.
    In addition, there is the HC guitarist, Fred Frith, whose career is a case study unto itself, involving Eno, Bill Laswell, Jah Wobble, The Residents, Richard Thompson, Henry Kaiser, John French(from the Beefheart band), Laurie Anderson, John Zorn, on and on.
    The influence/involvement of Soft Machine hovers over much of this, so happy digging to you. Oh yeah, Gong is in the middle of all of that mess as well.

6. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    I love finding out about great stuff like that thanks ! Had no idea.

7. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    The funny thing is I have Fred Firth stuff, I've always been a fan of the downtown stuff, but I never went that far back I guess.

8. the harp unstrung

the harp unstrung They’s only two things that money can’t buy... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2014
    On The Bus
    N.A.
    ^^^go back This far?!

Hella Song! :thumbsup:

MojoPenguin likes this.