1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Linkin Park bassist takes Road Worn to Whole New Level

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Smooth_bass88, Apr 14, 2019.

1. metron

metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Denver
    No surprise, I've been surfing these parts for some time. I thought it was worth mentioning that your post made me think of an old bassist wearing a Hawaiian shirt, khaki shorts with socks pulled up to the knees, and white New Balance shoes. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Sorry I'm going off topic here.

merseymale, flyingfinbar and br1qbat like this.
  2. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Agreed. I love the amount of hurt feelings here ripping on his bass, him and his band, while the reality is that he is likely sitting on eight figures of net worth and that bass has been played in front of more people around the world than the basses of possibly any member of this forum.
    I mean... Im not even a fan of them but you can't deny those kind of numbers when it comes to album sales and putting people in venues.

3. Charlzm

Charlzm Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Laugh At My S**t?

4. chadhargis

chadhargis Jack of all grooves, master of none Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Music is a fickle mistress. I'm one of the above mentioned old guys. At 47 years old, my dreams of rocking an area are long gone. And yes, I've played small dives and packed the dance floor with Mustang Sally. I haven't made dollar one of profit in the music game. I simply love playing. My basses are not "tools", they are my prized possessions. They are my escape from my regular life as a cubicle dwelling peon.

I can see how some folks would cry foul when they see a nice instrument destroyed. But then again, there is a different circumstance at work here. When you play in a well known band on a big stage, there is an image you're trying to portray. You're not just a musician, but an entertainer. Playing that beat up bass is more than likely part of the act. As much as Jimi Hendrix setting his guitar on fire, or Pete Townsend smashing his guitar. These instruments really ARE tools to these guys. Just as a carpenter doesn't much care if he gets a scratch in the handle of his hammer, these guys couldn't care less about their instruments. They'll just go buy another one, or have one given to them by the manufacturer.

juggahnaught, Kro and sludgetail like this.
  5. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Look At Me Syndrome.
    Bigger now than it's ever been before.

LowRenzo likes this.
  6. sludgetail

sludgetail Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2018
    Orange, CA
    And plans are already in the works for a $12,000 Custom Shop Signature Model...

ajkula66, seilerbird and LowRick like this.
  7. Did he run over it with the tour bus?

8. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Seems very splintery and jaggedy.

9. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

what if it's a custom job?

10. flyingfinbar

flyingfinbar Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Long Island, New York
    Thanks for typing this out, I’m on board 100%!

Anything that gets these crusty dudes’ crusty panties bunched up is always good for a

2BitHack likes this.
  11. ...and the Spice Girls have performed infront of more than him, my bitching comes from the lowest common denominator sound and marketing. They took a punt at making money, kudos for achieving it - it's the nicest thing I can say.

12. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Until he gets his first splinter then it’s all “Mommy! Mommy!”

nbsipics likes this.
  13. MordBass

MordBass

Nov 1, 2017
    Midwest
    Thank you much.

14. seilerbird

seilerbird

Apr 12, 2012
    He might just electrocute his nuts with that rig.

15. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    I heard the Spice Girls are still working...…………………………………………..

As waitresses.

Tom

16. foolforthecity

foolforthecity Supporting Member

I recall telling him to clean up his sloppy pick technique back in the 90's. He wouldn't listen and now look what it's gotten him

LowRenzo and nbsipics like this.
  17. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    That'll buff right out

The Mogpipe likes this.
  18. They're reforming soon(?), they're getting too old to make good tips.

19. To the people that are upset on this thread, I would just like to say, for the record:

I respect any band who makes hit songs, who everyone knows, and who sell millions of albums. Linkin Park has sold over 100,000,000 albums worldwide! Such an accomplishment! Surely, we can all learn something from them. I truly respect bands that achieve anywhere near this level of success, and I certainly respect their bass player.

Now, let’s get back to making jokes about how he is playing the most beat to $&#!, half a bass that I have ever seen on a stage. The only basses I have seen in worse condition, on a stage, were those in the process of being destroyed as part of the show.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 11:05 PM
    LowRenzo, blue4 and nbsipics like this.
  20. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    Dang. Hope you never get old. You'll be the type to chase kids off the lawn by turning on the sprinklers. ;)

bass_vic and easyj like this.