Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Linkin Park musicians??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Murf, Aug 27, 2001.

1. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hmm an interesting thing here...I happened to catch a 'live' Linkin park concert on MTV one night while channel surfing and the first thing I noticed was the drums were on a pre recorded backing track (so what the hell the drummer was doing I dont know) next at one point in the song the camera showed this other guitarist and bassist who werent the guys on the front of the stage????? "what the hell??" I thought when I suddenly realised the extra guitarist and bassist were in fact hidden at the back of the stage (I guess the cameraman made a mistake 'cos we never saw them again).....

God bless session musicians.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    So all the Ryknow praises were for nothing...?!? :D

Oops, I mixed up the bands.

Ryknow is Mudvayne of course...:oops:

3. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I told you..... that band sounds like Nsync with "guitars".......... maybe they should change the name to Linkin POP.......

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I actually very much doubt that's true. If it is, they hire pretty lousy session musicians, because they aren't playing perfect live (which is ok, but generally a session player would be a little more precise).

I watched most of the show you were talking about, and I didn't see any of that. I doubt it happened. If anything, it was probably a guitar and bass tech.

5. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Hi Angus,
    yeah your right there they were pretty lousy

however being a session bassist myself and having done these kinds of shows over the years (the amount of times I've stood behind curtains and props playing and sometimes even singing backing harmonies for so called 'professional' signed bands (and even some stage shows as well) are too numerous to count and it is unfortunately a very common occurance)) I know the difference between techs and live musicians and these guys were definitely playing (badly I might add..but then again probably being paid a lot of money so hey..);)

On a side note I didnt see the whole show as the version of MTV we have in Europe is a little different from the one in the States (English presenters, shows specifically geared to its audience like 'hitlist UK' etc. etc. )so instead of getting a full concert show we might get a general 'live' show with many different bands as is the clip I saw was sandwiched between a load of other bands.............so maybe I missed something they could have been special guests or something.

(Just 2 be clear at 29 years old I dont make it a habit of watching MTV...makes me feel very...very...old...but there was nothing else on that night.......honest....;)

6. I dont want to sound impartial, but i think those linkin pork guys are a piece of crap. If you've seen their music videos, you can notice that they just don´t know what to do to get attention.. eg: changing their look, their role in the band (that guy that "sings" and raps first tried to play Chino Moreno, then said a phrase or two on their second hit and played four chords like 16 times in the entire song, in the third video he did it kinda well, though)

Besides... I couldn't be sure if they hire other musicians to plays for them but in some of their songs the drums are drum machine made loops appearently..

In my opinion, they are style-less and mediocre..

7. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they hired people to play their guitars live, I know the DJ has all his keyboard parts on tape for the live shows, so I guess there's a trend going.

By the way, does anyone know if there is any truth in the rumour that the lead singer is a reject from the N'Sync auditions who got matched up with Linkin Park by a record label? My brother told me that, but I'm not sure if I believe it. Sorry if I'm taking the thread a bit OT.

8. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    There was an article in Spin or Q or some other magazine to that effect about Linkin Park, and yes, it it true, the lead singer was attached to the band "at the advice of the band's lawyers" after they got signed, whatever the hell that means.

I haven't heard anything about the nSync reject thing, though.

9. melvin

melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    Yeah those Linkin POP like comments were right, I always said Savage Garden with a distortion pedal. Their guitarist plays bass on the cd, I dont know what they do when they tour though. My friend has the cd and he said that it lists what kind of clothes they wear. Shows how serious they are.

10. That could be for endorsement reasons, often if you want free clothes, you have to be very open that you only wear those clothes.

11. It coulnd´t be posible, that guy doesn´t only look a bit wimp for a boy band, but his -horrible- singing woulnd´t fit with that boy band style..

12. yeah...besides n'sync wasnt formed by a big corporation (at least from what i understand) and they formed by themselves. correct me if im wrong though.

13. What´s really truth, is that linking pork is just like those pop groups for it is like " image-based " .. I mean just another new-metal band from the bunch that invests a lot on their image, to attract young kinds´attention.. that sucks and is a characteristic of the world of music that has grown these years..

14. Linkin Park Musicians.

That's a pretty cool oxymoron.

15. Some guy in Florida formed them...Ron Perlman I think. I think he also had something to do with BSB and saw how succesful they were so he made another boy band. But correct me if I'm wrong...:D

16. So...who did you do this for that we would know?

17. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Dosent matter, the point is this is a very common occurance and to be fair most of the time its not the bands fault (in fact I've met some wonderful musicians over the years who didnt actually play on their first few singles) generally (especially with 'manufactured' bands) when they're first signed the record company sends them to a studio with tracks which have been pre-recorded and from there they put down the vocal tracks this is not a reflection of their ability its a time issue, the company want a quick return on their investment..

case in point a very famous 'entrepeneur' whos responsible for infecting the charts with manufactured boy/girl bands (in Europe mostly apart from one crossover act) recently held auditions for a new boyband the difference being they all had to be able to play their instruments he wanted a 'band' band..so, he finally had the line up he wanted and he sent them into the studio where surprise surprise the session guys had already recorded the tracks, in this case when these guys tour they'll have to (initially) have session musicians on stage with them.

another example...ever wonder why a five piece boy/girl band have 5 backing singers with them on stage...wow 10 part harmony;)

image is everything

18. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    God awwlmighty it was a light hearted comment (I thought the winking smiley gave that away) personally I couldnt give a blue babboons balls whether they can play their instruments or not I just saw a thread somewhere about the linkin park bassist and I was asking...which one? bear in mind I'm not familiar with the band when I happened to catch clips of them I was thinking Goddamn they're young but fair play to them at least their doing well until one night I happened to see a live clip of them playing and the camera showed 2 bassists one of which looked to be in his late 20s early 30s and I thought it was funny 'cos he looked so out of place.

by the way why does everyone think that being a "session musician" qualifies one to be an outstanding musician? I've being doing session work for the past 10 years and I wouldnt consider myself an outstanding musician by any means, 90% of the time I'm reading from either a chord chart or a score where the bassline has been written out and occassionally I might be given a little room to put something of myself into the music.

Some of the most successful (and I dont mean famous I mean the guys who are consistently called back) session bassists I know cant slap or tap or play amazing 'jacoesque' solos but then again thats not what their hired to do. Hey if someone wants to give me a ton of money to play root fifth root fifth for a few hours a night I'm not gonna complain.

:rolleyes: