Linkin Park's Bassist...

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kasuals, Aug 20, 2001.

1. I'd like to see him take out an eye with the E string...

5 vote(s)
  2. Someone needs to tell him he's not playing drums...

2 vote(s)
  3. He plays what he can, and he does it well...

1 vote(s)
  4. I'd host his offspring...

1 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Just out of curiousity... what do you guys think of Linkin Park's bassist? I really can't tell if he's any good... I've seen some of the sheet music, and to be honest... it's nothing special. This doesn't mean he isn't any good however... style of music and bandmates dictate alot of what you are allowed to play...

I just don't see anything spectacular in his works so far... and every time I attempt to talk to anyone who loves Linkin Park, I just get spit at about it.

I've talked to alot of people, not just kids, and they seem to think he's unmatched... of course... I don't think they've ever attempted to play an instrument :D

They aren't my favorite, but I like a couple of their songs... just kind of curious, because my basslines aren't that glamorous in themselves, but they fit the music.

Your thoughts?
  2. Don't like the bassist, don't like Linkin Park in fact. Hmmm.
  3. Cossiemon

Aug 20, 2001
    I like Linkin Park, but i don't really like that idea of having a DJ in a band, i think it limits bass players because its another rhythm provider...i think that's what i'm trying to say.

As for simple songs, sometimes the simple ones are the better ones.
  4. Its really impossible to tell how good he is unless you've seen them live, as the guitarist played bass on their album.
  5. kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    That's odd. I wouldn't let my guitarist play bass for me ;) Then again... I don't think he could finger pick half as fast, or as clean.

That's one thing I've notice about guitar players... they act like you're replacable, until one of them is forced to play the bass for a gig... ;) I had that happen once when I was ill... after his fingers went numb and his left hand swelled up... he gave me the respect I deserved ;)
  6. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I'm really sick of everybody's musical elitism. Just because some guy isn't playing a bajillion chords at once doesn't mean songs are bad.

People don't win in life because of skill, they win because of effort and dedication, and don't give me any of that "but none of the bands above have any dedication!"
    It's not easy to write a good song, and if it is for them, then more power to 'em.

The above bands have become successful because there are a lot of people who like their music. THAT is what music is all about; sharing and bringing people together.

The most beautiful melody that ever existed is worth nothing if you keep it to yourself.
  7. here whats I think. It's not wrong or bad or whatever for bands to play two chord music or have crappy basslines.. blues is basically only three chords ( in the whole I IV V7 progression) and thats what rock is ( just half a century later ) I just think its wrong for players of that music or even fans of that music who think that playing other types of music is bad because their music is the only type of music that is acceptable. ( I see this alot with Punk fans or bands) On a totally unmusic related subject, this same thought applies to clothing. Punks ( or kids who wish they were) make fun of kids who dress "preppy" or "trendy" because they spend all their money on clothes at The Gap or A+F or stuff like that.. but then go out to Hot Topic or stores like that and spend the same amount on clothes so they can look "punk". I am in a highschool, this pisses me off. I ramble. Life is a run on sentence. bye
  8. Apparently, the bassist left to concentrate on a different project, so the guiatrist had to play bass on the record. Conveniently, he rejoined when the album sold millions. I'm ashamed to know all this, cos I am definitely not a Linkin Park fan.
  9. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I remember looking at their site and they don't mention anything about a bass-player, so I don't really think they have one. They prolly just hire some guy, oh well.
  10. bleachstained

Apr 22, 2001
    Man, this story got real screwy. Basically, it's like this. Since Linkin Park bassists mostly follow root the guitarist did a lot of the work on album with one guy writing a few songs and another bassist(touring bassist) writing a few others. Their original touring bassist who wrote a few songs (Scott Koziol) left and they have a totally new bassist.(The one on Crawling video) The newer one is the touring bassist now and will probably write all lines on the newer CD.
  11. Punk IS trendy nowadays. All at the same time now

I hate the pop punks that blink has spawned. There are all these people at my school that where studded belts and shirts that say "Punk Rocks" (Pop Rocks spoof...wait a minute I just saw the irony in that) and they didn't even know who social d is. Anyone who does that should be shot NQA.
  12. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    I don't think you should hate someone just because their musical tastes don't match yours. I don't think you should hate many people, period.

As much as I hate violence, perhaps it would be smarter to have you shot so that you don't receive the opportunity to shoot someone, or have someone else shoot someone for you.
  13. I agree SpankBass, It really bothers me regarding the same punks that SpankBass describes. If you are punk, you don't announce it to the world that you are one, people should know that you are punk without even you saying anything about it. Well that's just my opinion. 99% is inside(mind and attitude) and not some petty things like buying punk clothings(it looks like that you are trying too hard and wearing a uniform) or wearing a "Punk Rocks" t shirt.

Move over Blink, Sum 41, and all those Politically Correct punk bands, try U.S Bombs, Sham 69, Discharge, The Dead Boys, Circle Jerks, and my favourite band Tilt, Cinder Block rules!!!!!!!!!
  14. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Although Blink-182 is not a true punk band, by the original definition, they are HARDLY politically correct.
    Joking about bringing kids back stage to give Satan a blow job is not P.I..
  15. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    What is Linkin Park???????

Is it related to Gorky Park?????

...or is it a town near South Park??????

:Astronaut voice on:

Huston, We have a POP-blem here!!!!!

:Astronaut voice off:

Hey!!!! one post left to my first hundred!!
  16. trying extremely hard to be punk isn't punk at all, it's a distinction that the teenyboppers don't get. the punkest person on earth right now, IMO, is tim armstrong of rancid. he obviously doesn't care anything about image, wearing very unflattering tight black jeans, an unbuttoned pea-coat thing and a do-rag.
  17. Linkin Park's Bassist is immeasurable in skill due to the fact that every bassline is simple, yet effective. I've often heard "less is more" as a guide to playing bass, but I often become bored with that concept. I enjoy complicated playing, yet that saying does have much truth to it. I enjoy the simple bass line in crawling, and once someone at a gig asked us to play crawling from Linkin Park, and a bassist in the crowd asked me if i could handle it. I have Linkin Park's cd and i higly recommend buying if not borrowing it. Honestly i can't tell you much about the skill of their bassist, but I'm sure the band wouldn't have picked up a crappy bassist if they planned on going big.
  18. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    I've seen them live (not by choice, they were on the Deftones tour) and they sucked then as well.

I keep my dislike for the wannabe punks quiet as long as they don't come near me and say how punk/goth/grunge they are. Or diss preps near me.
    Damn hypocrites.

I need a big stick that plays Sex Pistols good and loud.

i am an antichrist
    and i am an anarchist
    don't know what i want
    but i know how to get it get the point
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    lets keep this on topic please

and if your gonna say the guy sucks or anyone sucks, back it up with why you dont like the guy. dont just say "he sucks" and leave it at that.
  20. Anarchy in the UK! Sid Vicious is rolling over in his grave, judging by new punk music (I listen to both, but what beats the Sex Pistols, The Ramones, and The Misfits? C'mon!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.