Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

linking 2 combos

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MarkMcCombs, Aug 10, 2001.

1. was wondering if anyone has experience linking 2 combo amps for more volume. I have a Ampeg B100-R, and thought that if I come to the point of needing more volume, why not just get another one? I'd run out of the line out of one of them into the hi-gain (?) input of the other one. I just know that people say that 2 ways of increasing volume are to double your power (=+3dB) and increase the number of speakers, or speaker area. It seems to me I could get another 6 dB+ for about $300 if I buy right. And what a cool looking rig....

Any thoughts?

2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    It would work just fine. Although you would probably get a better sound by running into the effects return of the second one rather than the input. That way you aren't preamping twice. You'd basically feed the line send straight into the power stage of the second one.

Chas

3. thanks, man. I would if it had an effects loop, but it doesn't. It does have pre- and post- volumes though, so I guess I'd keep the pre- as low as I could and the post up further, so as to use as little as possible of the 2nd preamp.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I'd use the -15 dB input of the second amp, run the EQ knobs of the seond amp at 12:00 (don't use any of the tone "ultra" buttons either).

Set the master to 10 (or at least the same) on both amps, set the pre of the second amp so that the volume matches that of the first and make all volume and EQ adjustments from the first amp (use the pre as the volume control).