Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Linking Amps & Daisy Chaining Monitors

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bizzaro, Jul 14, 2002.

1. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Two seperate questions: First: I would like to know how to connect two amplifiers saflely. I have two 1000 watt amps and I want to use them both. How would I hook them up and use them as one? What would the resultant wattage be? 2000 watts? .....Second: We have 8 ohm monitors and are daisy chaining them. What is the result of 3 x 8 ohms? How about 4 X 8 ohms? I know 2 X 8 ohms = 4 ohms. Does 4 x 8 = 2 ohms or is it not the same as 2 x 4 because of daisy chaining 8 ohm and each effects the next?

2. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    1. It's not possible to connect two amps to one cab (unless you want to fry them)
    If you want to use those amp for PA, you could drive each side with one amp. If you want to use it for bass, you need 2 cabs.

2. 1/8+1/8+1/8=3/8 => resulting load is 8/3=2.67Ohms
    1/8+1/8+1/8+1/8=4/8 => resulting load is 8/4=2Ohms

Matthias

3. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Thanks Matthias. The monitor deal is how I guessed it would be. But I thought There was a way to link amps together? And if I wanted to use them with separate cabs how would I plug into both of them from my bass? Mono to Stereo cord from bass?

4. * ahem *

daisychaining is serial..

so 4x8 = 32ohms.

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    *ahem ahem*

When you daisychain cabs they're wired in parallel.

6. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Ahem..............When you are in a band with two hot babe's that are fine musicians it is hard to think straight. I am sure Allo ment to say "parrallel"! He just is a little woosy at the moment!!

7. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    If you have 2 power amps, you need a preamp between your bass and the amps. A preamp usually has 2 outputs, so you can hook up one amp to each output.

If you have 2 bass amps you plug your bass into one of them, and use the other one as 'slave' by connecting the poweramp input (or effects return) of the slave amp to the line out/preamp out (or effects send) of the 'main' amp.

BTW: what kind of amps do you have and what cabs do you want to use?

8. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    PS: You can also use a bass amp as main amp and a power amp as slave of cause...

9. I'm with AllodoX.

My understanding of "daisy chaining" is series connected. This would be difficult to do in prcatice with speaker cabs because you'd need some way of breaking into the speaker cable chain to series connect the cabs.

The other thing about series connection of cabs (assuming that's what we're talking about) is that, because the resulting load = arithmetic sum of the individual cabs impedances, the amount of power an amp could deliver into that load would be really small.

If you're after 2000 Watts it's easier to do as others have suggested and run each amp into it's own cab(s) on a master / slave arrangement.

John

10. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    In my understanding, daisy chaining just means linking the first cab to the amp, the second cab to the first one, the third to the second and so on.
    If you do this with normal speaker cables, this means parallel connection.
    And as series connection does not make much sense and thus is hardly used I think that daisy chaining usually refers to parallel connection.

Matthias

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You're right in a way, the name suggests that, but in the real world you get a parallel configuration, unless you modify the cables or cabs.

12. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I have two Carvin R 1000's. I don't really need to hook them up together but may want to try it for ****s and grins. I would push our P A bass bins (subs) if I combined the two amps for fun. I am actually using one of them for our monitors for live sound. And I have to daisy chain the monitors which are at 8 ohms. And we only have three working monitors. I run my bass in the other amp through a 4 ohm 2x12 I built to cut through a ridiculously loud guitarist. I can make him sound like a mouse squeeking in the next apartment if I feel like it. He gets really nervous when he is not the loudest performer on stage.

13. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Isnt 2000 watts a great thing? 16 tens and 2000 watts............ anyway, i was with allodox, i thought that it was serial as well. when you say "Daisy chain" i think of a three ended cord, on goes in, two go out. one to amp, one to other cab,,,, series...

14. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    My understanding of daisy chaining is amp to cab to cab to cab to cab. This is usually parallel.

15. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ok, call me a moron. but i thought parallel was amp cord to cab, then amp cord to cab. not amp to cab, cab to cab. Like if i hooked up a 350 watt head, that runs 350 at 4 ohms, ran a 4 ohm cab out of it, then hooked up another cab to that cab with that, it would make a Impendance of 8 ohms, SERIES. If, i however, ran both the cabs with the two speaker out puts i had on my head, it would make a impendance of 2 ohms, Parallel. Maybe i just got series and parallel mixed up, it's happened before...

16. It's exactly the same thing. The outputs on an amp are paralleled as are the inputs on cabinets. So if you connect two 8 Ohm cabinets box to box or off two amp outputs (unless it's a stereo amp and you're using two seperate channels) it's the same thing. The cabs are in parallel and the total load on the amp is 4 Ohms not 16. Series wiring of speakers is VERY uncommon and you need specially wired cables (or cabinets) to do it. In 10 years of live sound I've never wired cabinets in series or even seen it done.