1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

linking quoted post to the original

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by beans-on-toast, Jun 2, 2014.

1. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    If I make a post, someone quotes my post, then I modify my original post, the quoted post does not reflect my changes. Here is an example, I provided the name of an out of date web site in a post. I realized that there was an error but it had already been quoted. I corrected my post by the quote with the incorrect address remained.

Is there a way that quoted posts can be linked to the original so that any changes would be reflected ?

2. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Nope, this would be quite difficult to implement I'm guessing - since users can not only quote a post, but mix and match parts of a post as well. The software would have to be very intelligent to parse the quote and see exactly how to update it. And then sometimes users purposefully modify the quoted material (making some parts bold etc). The good news is people usually don't read quotes as much as just use them as a reference. :)

3. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Thanks for the reply. If something important needed to be corrected, the poster that quoted the post or a mod could fix it.

I can see why it would be complicated to implement. A thread would have to be established with joint custody of the quote and all that that entails.