1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Linking Up a Pedalboard

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ComesATime, Nov 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. ComesATime

ComesATime

Dec 12, 2012
    So here we go.

I just got a great deal on a GhostFire pedalboard--imported aluminum construction. For $66, I'd say it's pretty comparable to a PT-1. I got a pretty good deal on an Aetos power supply I'm going to mount underneath for power.

My real concern now is how I'm going to wire this thing with patches. Before, I'd just lay everything out across the floor and plug it in.

Only difference between my board and the graphic is I have a Sansamp BD DI instead of the VT, but the pedal planner didn't have the DI. (Yep, the M80 and the BDDI do some of the same stuff, but I like having the MXR as a boost and for a different type of grit than the Rat).

This board's going to require a little more creativity in wiring. I wanted to keep things looking neat, but the typical connectors don't bend in the way I need, and I'm afraid doing so will stress the cable and possibly the connector. I can get a few of the Z type jacks for the tuner-->BD-->MXR.

The bottom is the tricky part, as it's top-->side-->top. The typical 6" connectors that I have don't bend in the way I need to. I would need more flexible cables.

Any tips or tricks?

Attached Files:

2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    Sounds like you need new cables.

cataract and mattbass6945 like this.
  3. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

There are flat cables and extremely low profile jacks available as both components and assembled patch cables. Unfortunately they cost anywhere from two to four times as much as an old school round cable and right angle jack patch cord of comparable quality does.

EBS makes good ones. Google “flat patch cables” for sellers and prices.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    pacojas, hrodbert696 and TheBear like this.
  4. Warwick Rockboard Benders are pretty flexible.

AaronVonRock likes this.
  5. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This right here! I bought a couple hundred dollars worth of the EBS Gold flat patch cables and they’ve perfect for wiring my boards. Expensive but worth every penny to me.

6. ComesATime

ComesATime

Dec 12, 2012
    Indeed, though I can't tell what it sounds like yet since the board's not wired up.

7. ComesATime

ComesATime

Dec 12, 2012
    Thank you. I'll check these out.

Not as expensive as I thought. About $8 each? Well, if they solve my problem and last, then it's far more cost-effective than the "3 for $10" imported stuff you find on Amazon.

Thanks for the suggestion!

TheBear likes this.
  8. With my last build up I knew that 6" cables were not gonna do the trick so I went shopping for a range of different lengths of pancake patch cables on the 'zon. I was able to come up with a good mix of quality affordable patch cables 9" , 12" , 15" , 18" . Worked out well.

9. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    The M MAKA cables on Amazon work really well, especially now that they redesigned them even smaller. The originals were exactly the Warwick Rockboard cables (I have both) without the Rockboard logo on them. No issues on my board whatsoever and they are VERY low profile.