linly fralin pickups with a j retro

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pacojastorius, Mar 9, 2006.

1. pacojastorius

pacojastorius Guest

May 21, 2005
    linly fralin pickups with a j retro, do you think they will be noisey in a fender jazz bass with no shielding, especially if i turn up the treble?
    do you dimazio ultra jazz pickups cut noise? with a j retro?
  2. TheBrad

TheBrad Baby step bassist - 90% n00b

Jan 16, 2006
    Mountain View,CA
    I've had no experience with Fralins, but I was planning on pairing a set of Ultra Jazzes with my J-Retro jazz bass. I think even if the instrument is silenced with copper shielding tape/shielding paint you will still get some hiss in a boost of treble regardless.

This has been my experience at least.
  3. ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    It depends if the pickups are humcancelling or not. Fralin has both single coil and humcancelling pickups, and UJs are strictly humcancelling. Also, it depends on how well the bass is grounded. Usually turning the treble up will generate more noise.

Shielding can't hurt either. It's pretty cheap and easy to use adhesive foil to shield your bass. A roll of tape enough to do several basses can be bought on for about $7.
  4. I have Fender Vintage Noiseless with a J-Retro. While very quiet passively, you can get "some" noise with treble or mid gain turned to max. I back off slightly and it disappears. I can imagine it would be pretty pronounced with standard single coils. Note: I had to wire my Fender Noiseless backward to the J-Retro to get rid of most of the noise. So it you do get noise, you might try reversing the leads first.

I think Lindy Fralin Noiseless pickups would be awesome but expensive. The Seymour Duncan Classic Jazz Stacks sound good on a J-Retro also. They are similar to the Fender Vintage Noiseless. I think the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz Noiseless would do quite well too. I agree with the above post that shielding is good with a J-Retro as they are high gain. The J-Retro does have an Input gain adjustment.