Linux and XP at the SAME time??

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    I am not talking about dual booting where you can choose one or the other O/S, I am talking about running two diff O/S at the same time and just switching back and fourth between them, is there anyone here doing this???? I read about VMWARE, I guess its suppose to do this, but its limited to very basic drivers, hardware, etc......

2. How about two PCs and a swivel chair?:bag:
  3. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    been there, done that;)
  4. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Two machines, a switch that kb and monitor go through and shared LAN drive, perhaps?
  5. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    Given your comment about drivers, you probably want XP as your host OS and Linux as the guest. This way Linux gets the sub-par drivers (although you'll find it'll work great. I've used VMWare quite extensively - although I ran with w2k server as the guest on linux).

There's also another free one called Plex86 and some others I believe.

I think MS also has a clone of Vmware as well.

That is pretty much your only choice.
  6. whoapower

Jul 14, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Another thumbs up for VMWare.
  7. Out of curiosity, why don't you want to dual boot? It's a much cleaner way to do it because the two OSs are completely independent.
  8. For the exceptionally rare occasions that I need windows (teaching software for school) I use windows 98 running on qemu on my linux PC...(well, all my PC's are linux PC's)...

Qemu has the advantage of being free.
  9. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    you can emulate windose in Linux, not sure how but its as slow as hell. My friend uses it to run MSN when hes doing work on linux

EDIT: upon furthur thought, it might be called WINE, im not sure if it actually emulates windows, OR just windows programs
  10. Yep, it's WINE. IIRC, it's not a strict "emulator", but it provides the libraries and other things required to run Windows programs within Linux. It's flaky at best, but can get the job done for certain Windows apps.
  11. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    +1 for vmware, It works well for day to day WinXP usage, email, surfing, windoze apps..
    Altough i have not tried any hardware intensive stuff like gaming in vmware or recording with like protools, since this is my work comp :meh:
  12. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    W - Wine
    I - Is
    N - Not
    E - an Emulator

Just thought I'd mention what the acronym WINE meant. ;)
  13. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
  14. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    I have had crashs etc trying to do this, for the most part it worked, but what I am curious about is running them together and switching back and fourth between live O/S 'S.
  15. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Beer is good too.....

Attached Files:

16. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    Pretty soon when the processors have better virtualization support you may be able to use xen to run both on the same system at the same time without any sort of emulation. Currently you can run windows with xen because you would have to add some code to the kernel and recompile (so if do have the windows source code I guess you could, but I doubt you have that) but with new processors you may be able to.
  17. AFlyOnGeddysWal

Sep 27, 2004
    There' CoLinux (, I believe you can create a Linux environment within a Windows environment. They even have a Gentoo tarball on the sourceforge download site. I've never used it, I just dualboot, like most others, with grub to Gentoo or XP.

I imagine it's buggy of course, in the ever-improving Linux way. :D
  18. AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    Fire Starter
    why don't you try a live CD? it means that you can try out linux without installing anything. its exactly as if it were installed on your PC.

there's also something called xen (here) that you may want to checkout. its very fast and better than vmware.
  19. Fire-Starter

Aug 11, 2002
    Hey AspiringBassMann..whats up!

You know, my friend just showed me a software that boots off of a disk in a windows platform, and comes up LINUX, I sat there and watched him do it and I tripped big time, it came up looking like my Mandriva platform, and it located his drives and everything, all off of a disk! I am gonna get my hands on it this weekend, thanks, sounds like you hit it on the head! I will f/u with results once I try it out....

20. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK

As much as i love guinness i like it better out of tab... not big fan of bottle:(

So anyone tried getting guiness keg? how is that?