Linux, anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Davidoc, May 10, 2005.

1. Does anyone here run Linux? I'm using Windows XP right now, and while it hasn't given me any problems since I stopped using Internet Explorer, I've lately become a big fan of the open-source movement, (using Firefox, Openoffice) and I do not like the impression I get from Microsoft. Also, with new info about Longhorn (more anti-competative garbage involving OS-controlled bios, and taking other traditionally hard-ware oriented roles which give MS more control of computer systems), I'm really thinking of switching to Linux. The idea that the software developers' main goal is to create a good product rather than one that sells (or in this case messes things up for competition as a priority) sits well with me. However, I play computer games. While nearly all computer games' server versions support Linux, their client versions do not, with some exceptions such as UT2k4 and mods for it. There are however emulators you can buy, but I havn't done the research on them.

Are there any Linux users here that can offer some advice? (distributions etc) Like I said, I have no problems with Windows right now, but I want to get away from Microsoft in as many ways as possible so I can sleep better at night. (I know, that's a bad reason) How about windows emulators for games? Any advice would be great. Thanks!
  2. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    You could always try the Knoppix Live CD. You boot from CD and run Linux. This way you can give it a run (see if your hardware is compatible as well) without having to install Linux to your hard drive.
  3. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    If you really want to get away from Microsoft but are primarily focused on normal desktop PC use, buy a Mac. Linux can do everything a PC does, but most of the day to day computer tasks are still less polished under Linux. I spent many years running dozens of different versions of Linux and I am still not satisfied with its desktop variants. I'll stick with XP until G5 powerbooks are available, after that the PC is going to be come nothing more than a glorified XBox.
  4. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Like the other poster said, give Knoppix a try. It is a "disposable" OS.

You can also set it so that when you do reboot Knoppix(at a later time) it can hold your settings... Outside the scope of this thread though. :)

As far as emulation goes, ALL emulation takes processor overhead. It is best you keep your main HDD WinXP and just boot (off CD/DVD) a live distro. Perhaps down the road emulating a FPS(for example) won't be as laggy. It depends on the game(how demanding it is) and what you own(for a PC).

Here is a live distro list:

You can burn them to CD/DVD-RW also if you are on the cheap.

Hope this helps,
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001

I would download and try Knoppix as well. If you like, try a dual boot machine, (very easy, partition the drive, use mandrake or red hat. then you can play games on XP and use Linux for everything else.

BTW, red hat and mandrake (considered by many to be the most user friendly versions for people new to Linux) are VERY polished for everyday computer use. You have tons of options from complete hand holding to total do it yourself, as well as very accesible control over how everything looks.
  6. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    Linux has been my primary desktop for about 7 years now. I can't give you advice on running games - the only game I play on my linux box is (now very old) Quake 3 arena, which runs flawlessly.

It's a pretty nice home recording platform though, and getting better all the time ...
    ... and gives you a fairly painless way to get everything running.

here's a quick rough mix of basic tracks for my current project,
    recorded and processed in Ardour - I'm playing bass and guitar:
  7. you can also get a liveCD and install cd for free for ubuntu linux, i like that one
  8. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I really tried to like Linux but always ended up going back to Windows pretty quickly. Yep, KDE and Gnome are getting nicer by the minute but every time I start playing around with Linux, I end up getting frustrated with the brokenness of most Open Source software. I guess Linux and me are simply not meant to be.
  9. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I've been running Knoppix for a few months now and I flipping love it. I highly recommend it if you're looking to see what Linux can do. However, it does have some limitations since its a LiveCD. Eventually I think I'm going to partition my hard disk so I can boot into Windows or Linux.
  10. I've gone through the computer geek's equivalent of GAS for the pass few years. I've tried a million and one distributions of linux from RedHat, Gentoo, Mandrake, Slackware, Ubuntu, etc. The big problem that the open source community needs to address is the lack of support for certain hardware and software that people find essential. This many times includes support for graphic cards and games that people run on their Windows based systems, as well as proprietary business software. Popular gaming support is equally missing in the OSX world, but getting better. I'd have a 15" Powerbook if it didn't cost so much bank. I'd much rather be able to build my system from parts, and save the money for GAS.

ATI has been less than cooperative keeping their open source video drivers up to date, but are fairly difficult to get installed properly for 3d acceleration (needed to run any sort of 3d game.) Once you have the proper accelerated 3d drivers installed, google up Winex CVS. You can build Cedega (needed for running Windows games in Linux) from source for free. Then you should be on your way to responsive gaming in Linux.
  11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Where can you get all the parts to build a laptop from scratch?
  12. Sorry, can't build a laptop from scratch but PC desktops are getting dirt cheap to build from parts. Just speaking about how cheap it is to build a powerful PC these days, and even decent Intel based laptops are falling in prices.

I just don't think the extra $1200 is worth getting the Powerbook, not without a G5 under the hood. Especially since little time and development has gone into optimizing software for the Power (IBM's processor that the G5 is built off of) processor. Doom 3's performance handicap on even a capable dual G5 Power Mac is due to the fact that GCC compiler optimizations are still in the early stage for the PPC platform. Laptops compromise a lot for the small package they fit in, and I'm not mobile enough for a laptop to be worth its weight in gold at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I'd love a Powerbook but even the college student discount puts it out of what I'd be able spend at the moment. Pricing is getting better, and hopefully in a year when I look to buy a laptop Apple will be competitive. As a learning Unix admin at my school (Solaris, the want to be linux) the BSD core, X11 capabilities, and the Fink port of the Gentoo Portage collection is oh so tempting when the funds show up in the bank again. I'd like to try out Tiger, because I believe Apple has a great thing going, especially with all the disappointing reports coming out of the MS Longwait camp.

Not trying to come off as a know-it-all, just presenting things from my point of view.
  13. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    My vote goes to Debian :bassist:

Oh and I'm pretty proud:

black-horizon:~# uptime
    22:21:35 up 124 days, 5:49, 2 users, load average: 0.02, 0.13, 0.01
  14. Well, good stuffs that you actually used OpenOffice, a lot of Windows users are still stucked at Firefox/Thunderbird and haven't tried OpenOffice yet.

If you feel that you only need the Windows for games, you should dual boot, and run linux as your desktop OS and only boot Windows for games.

As for distros, you could try
    (from my personal experience with the two distros, they are a good start)

For emulation, you can try to look at

I haven't played games for ages, so couldn't give you any feedback on the emulators...

Oh yeah, a software developer that makes good softwares that would not sell, is like a musician that makes good music which can not sell, I won't really say which "sits" in well with me, I am a software developer myself, and I do try to make good software which can sell. :)
  15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    open office is more than capable for 90% of everyone.