Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Linux DAWs

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Josh Ryan, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Anyone know of any Linux progs. that are on par with Cakewalk? Do they have a good selection of filter? Latency issues? Just curious.

2. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    I don't know...but have you looked at the realtime operating system call Beos?

jc

3. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I hadn't, is there a lot developed for it?

4. Rockinjc

Rockinjc

Dec 17, 1999
    Michigan
    I don't have much of a clue really, but it's a realtime operating system made for data manipulation in real time, something windows aint built for IMHO.

Linux might work though. I am no linux guru but used be a SCO jock in another life. I thought at one point i saw some stuff about tuning linux for real time apps.

Beos...just looked intersting along those lines. Try BEOS.com
    jc

5. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I was just looking around, looks promising, but seems to lack major developer backing in the audio software world. Maybe more time is needed? Thanks.

6. * ahem * freeBSD 4 ever ! :D

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hm, BeOS commited suicide when they changed marketing it as an internet OS.

You may hate this, but Win2k with WDM drivers gets the best latency (I don't know about MacOS).
    Cubase 2-6ms latency, Reason 1 ms with ASIO 2 drivers for Midiman Audiophile 2496.

Other OS may be on par or better, but the software available is the big plus for Windows.
    Ok, These OS look nice on paper, but the application software is where it's at.

BTW: The SBLive! is NOT a good soundcard for audio, most problems are caused by this card and it`s sh!tty drivers. I'm talking from experience.

This tech info is based on Notebooks, but also applies to desktop PCs.

http://www.rme-audio.de/english/techinfo/hdsp/notetune.htm

8. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Actually, I'm not one of those people who hate everything just because it's windows. I use w2k, and am happy with it. I also have a linux box and just wanted to experiment.

9. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  10. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    DAP looks like it's getting there, that definitely looks like one to watch. I think I'll give it test run. It does seem to be pretty severely limited still, but looking good overall. thanks for the link.

11. Bryan_G

Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I know this thread has a little dust on it, but I am interested if anybody has any new information.

There seems to be quite abit of new stuff out there. I have tried a few programs and haven't found one that seemed to be on par with what I have been finding for windows. I would like to hear from some poeple with first hand experience with DAWs in linux. Is anybody out there doing this?

Thanks

-cp

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Honestly, I didn't bother to look, since XP runs so well - and there's ANY software you want available.

Linux/Unix still needs a low-latency driver system for soundcards to be attractive.

Once those drivers are available, companies may write/port DAW software.