Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Linux On A Laptop

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by groovit, Mar 10, 2005.

1. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Hey all- I'm going to be getting a laptop soon, and I want to dual-boot it to Fedora Core Linux and Win 2kPro. I know how to set up all that and everything. I've heard, don't ask me where, that Linux doesn't really like laptops. Is that true? And will I have any issues setting up that dual? It's a fairly new comp, definitely has way more horsepower than those OS's need.

TIA

2. As long as you use a fairly recent release of a decent distro, you won't have many (if any) real problems. Check out Fedora Core 3, for example (http://www.fedora.redhat.com). The more recent kernels (2.6.11.2 is the most recent official one) will serve you better.

3. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Red Hat is a lot friendlier with laptops. :)

4. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i installed FC3 on my laptop a few weeks ago, its fantastic. my advice would be to get a laptop with an ATI video, my other laptop had an NVidia video "card" and i had to download seperate drivers and configure them. kind of a pain for me since i am not real linux literate.

5. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    I've got the latest distro of FC3, and I will have an ATI card on the laptop. Very cool to know that it won't be a problem. Thanks much!

6. I believe that power support is still a problem, even with the latest versions of Linux. I think there was a problem with laptops going into hibernation. Not sure though it could be fixed now.

I installed Ubuntu Linux on a laptop the other day and haven't had any problems really.

Bassis

7. thats cool, i've got ubuntu as well, and i am happy with it. this is a somewhat slow laptop, and it works better than when i had XP on this laptop.

8. gettingthere

gettingthere

Apr 12, 2004
    What's ubuntu like compared to FC? The only Linux distro I've used is Fedora, and I've used KDE, X, and Gnome within the Fedora distro. Is Ubuntu a free one too?

9. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I've been using Linux with laptops since '98. It's not always the easiest road to travel, but in general Linux plays pretty nicely. FC3 should be fine. I'd also suggest checking out Mandrake and CentOS. I'd suggest not using SuSE, ever.

How well it works depends more on your hardware than the distro you pick. I've had laptops that work great with Windows and only okay with Linux, and then I've had a couple that work noticably better with Linux. My current laptop (IBM Thinkpad A21p btw) doesn't work well with anything but Windows 98 or 2000, and even then it's sort of sketchy unless you set it up properly.

There are several resources online for determining how a given laptop is going to behave when you put Linux on it, and I'd advise checking those out before spending any money. The more research you do beforehand, the more rewarding your experience will be, although even a minimal amount of digging in advance could save you a lot of time down the road.

Note: for dual booting, it seems to be easier if you install Windows first and then do Linux afterward.

If you run into snags, PM me. I do this stuff for a living and am happy to help out if I've got time.

10. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
  11. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Absolutely absolutely absolutely download a live distro and check it out. I can't believe I didn't think of mentioning that.

For the curious, a live distribution is one that fits entirely on a CD. Most of the major distributions have a "live" version, sometimes called an evaluation disc or a live-eval.

How it works: You boot with the CD in the drive and a minute (or five, depending on hardware and software) you have a fully working Linux system which behaves like a regular install would. Uninstalling is as easy as popping out the disc and rebooting. The entire process is totally brainless. It's a really good way to test out a distribution on your hardware and to determine whether or not you'll like a given distribution.

The downside is that it's a bit sluggish since CD drives aren't as fast as hard drives, but it's not like you're going to be using the live CD all the time. Figure out what is usable or not and then go with your favorite for a regular install.

12. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    That reminds me of something. I have a live distro of Knoppix, and I decided to try it out on the laptop. For some reason, it wouldn't boot. I suspected the CD was bad, so I tried it on my main desktop rig, and it works fine. Do you have any suggestions as to why that could be?

Also, msquared, are there any particular sites you would recommend for checking out hardware compatibility?

13. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    groovit: Try a different kernel.

ex: knoppix or knoppix26

hit f2 and f3 for load options...

Sometimes a hardware detection failure can take several minutes before the boot continues.

Hope this helps,

14. gettingthere

gettingthere

Apr 12, 2004
    Thanks. I've downloaded a live distro of Ubuntu and I'm going to give that a go to see if I like it better than FC3. Thanks for the help!

edit: Sorry for the wrong SN, I'm at a freinds house and forgot to switch :bag: