Linux users: XMMS can play wavs, but not Mp3s

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Freaky Fender, Apr 27, 2005.

1. My father recently updated xmms for me, and it works fine except I can't play mp3s, only wavs. I've tried going through all the plugins, but with no avail. Can anyone help me out?
  2. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Ya uh gotta go through some steps, first one I could think of is firing up a term and running xmms through there. Play an mp3 and see what the debug message is from the terminal, give it to me here and I'll see what I can find from it.
  3. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    did you install codec maibe?
  4. maybe you could post what distro you are using and which xmms version?

As far as I know, some distros do not comes with any support for mp3 at all in the whole distro, just because they are afraid of patent related issues in the future.
  5. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    ?!? What distro is that? There's nothing you really need to do to support mp3's besides sound such as OSS and ALSA.
  6. With OSS and ALSA, you can only play WAV files, you need special decodes to play MP3, FLAC, or OGG files, which are compressed. Most distros build in the support for widely used file types in their distros.

Which distro can't play mp3 out of the box? RH or Fedora Core:
  7. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
  8. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Redhat doesn't play mp3s out of the box.

9. Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    What distro is it? If it's fedora, it doesn't support mp3 out of the box. I believe you can just go to and download a good version for Fedora.
  10. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I stand corrected, the codecs should come with the programs such as xmms, not with anything related to the OS though. So Fodera builds their xmms rpm's without mp3 support? Shame :scowl:
  11. Well, that's the whole concept of distros! For xmms, they give you tonnes of options what you want to compile from the source, what do you get for the binary that sits in your /usr/bin is what your distro compiles for you. Well, it have nothing to do with OS anyway, since in Linux, the OS is just the kernel. :)

Well, I won't blame any distro for not including mp3 support, they are just trying to make sure they dun get into trouble later, because of all the patent mess with mp3 (same with gif a while ago, no support for gif in gimp in some distros).

Well, support OGG!

If you are ripping stuffs from your CD, make it into ogg instead of mp3. Since most players play ogg anyway now, on whatever platform. :hyper:
  12. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    ^? The OS is not the kernel, the kernel is the kernel. The OS is the packages + kernel. The correct thing for me to say is, "it's the distros fault," but most certainly not the "OS" in general.
  13. AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    thanks to fluendo, linux distros can now play mp3's out of the box. why anyone would want to bother, i don't know. ogg is free and of better quality than mp3.
  14. Because of the availability of files in .mp3 format.

Like everyone said, you probably need a codec that was not included because of copyright reasons. If you're using a debian based distribution such as ubuntu, just open synaptec, and search for "mp3", and install the package.
  15. AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    i know that was the situation before, but that situation is no longer the case. fedora et al can include mp3 support out of the box. there is no need to go to a repository to get the codecs. read this:

or use 'apt-get'