Linux users?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Mar 12, 2006.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As my signature says, I am now a Linux convert!:hyper:

I got tired of all of the security issues with Windows, and decided to try something different.

We are converting our servers from OS/2 Warp to HP Unix at work, so this will help me strenghten my *ix command line skills as well.

I loaded PC Linux OS from a Live disc, and I am totally blown away! The gui is very easy to use, and most of the configuration can be done graphically as well.

I had a few bumps getting my hardware configured, but all is good now.

So, other Linux users, what distro are you using? Have you found any tasks that you do on a consistent basis that require a Microsoft OS?

I still have XP on my other HDD, but the plan is to only use it if necessary, and so far, everything that I have needed to do is doable in this Linux distro.

I am amazed at how much software is out there! And most of it is freeware. Of course, I plan on donating to PC Linux, and developers that have programs that I use consistently.
  2. Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    I never did anything on Microsoft.. the reason I switched was because sony ACId music studio only works on MS and that was only about 3 months ago that I have switched. I used Linux for the better part of my life.. for about 10 years. Slackware.. SuSE..Debian... the big dogs back in the day ;)
  3. I've used Red Hat, SuSE and Mandrake. Since our lab uses mostly Mandrake that's what I use at home (and since that's the version I first started on).

I mostly run Windows though as there are some people who use my PC who are not computer literate and this makes Linux a hassle since I wind up having to do a lot of extra work so that they can work on the computer. I have XP fairly customized on this machine so it runs very smooth. I haven't had a crash since my hard drive failure and my reinstallation of XP Pro. No viruses, no spyware and so I'm actually pretty happy with how it's running right now. There are some nuances that annoy me from time to time but I think that it saves me some hassle. The main advantage in Linux for me right now is the ps2pdf command. Creating pdf's in Windows tends to get me upset.
  4. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat

FPS Gaming

5. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Hey big E! (hope you dont mind my short form of embellisher):cool:

I am a new convert as well, I currently use Mandrake 10.1 on my desktop and Mandriva 2006 (who took over Mandrake) on my laptop, I am loving them both, and it takes getting used to but its well worth it! and if you have any question, the people at MANDRIVA.COM will help, thay have a forum kind of like TB, where people are MORE THAN HAPPY to assist, kind of like here! here the link below......PEACE!
  6. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

I've been using and experimenting with Linux for about 2 years now. I've used several different versions of Knoppix, Ubuntu, Kubuntu and SimplyMEPIS. I love Linux, but I still use Windows for certain tasks.
  7. phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    I was playing around with Linux (several distros) a while and couldn't get my MIDI keyboard working no matter what I tried and had the feeling that the various Linux sound systems were a complete mess.
    Does anyone use Linux for home recording?

I've never heard of PCLinuxOS before, by the way, is it a new distro?
  8. I'm using Ubuntu. Most of my games, especially the Direct3D ones require a Microsoft OS.
  9. AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    there are still some very naive people who just simply refuse to believe this.
    they are usually the same people who still believe the Earth is flat :p

i'm using fedora core 4 and suse 10 because i can't decide which i like more.

after using linux properly since around 1999/2000, i've found nothing that i need windows for.

here are some useful links that you may want to have a look at

point and click packages (like it is on windows with the install shield)

PC linux OS homepage
  10. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I use SUSE 10.0
    It's the easier linux version on the market for a windows convert. It will recognize all your hardware, hard drive etc...
    Fedora is also nice but it need little more time to configure everything. ON my computer fedora doesn't recognize my sound card and I need to mount all my hard drive manually.

Suse is the way to go!
  11. irjason

irjason Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Try this if you haven't already. It basically acts as a printer, anything that you "print" to it can be saved as a pdf.
    I've been playing with Ubuntu for a little bit now on an older Dell. Unfortunately I can't get it to work with my USB KVM switch. I'm waiting for the next release. Maybe it will work then.
  12. I use (and love) Gentoo...I've used Redhat/Fedora, SuSE, Ubuntu, Slackware, and Debian, but I found Gentoo to be the most customizable and effecient.

I also love the Knoppix LiveCD...I use it all the time for system recoveries and various other things. Linux rules!!!! :bassist:
  13. AspiringBassMan

Dec 10, 2005
    is that for when he migrates to Hewlett packard unix at work?

go to unbuntu forums here and do a search for kvm in the title of the thread - there is lots of advice about it.
  14. I'm running Ubuntu on one machine, and Kubuntu on another. I figured I'd stick with the same basic distro since it's worked well for me.

The only thing I do that requires a MS OS is playing some games. All my old games work fine under Linux, using either a port or DOSbox (best program ever). The newer ones require Windows, but I don't play so many of those. I also play Cube and Warsow, which have native Linux versions as well as Windows versions, so there's no problem there. Unfortunately, I still don't have my laptop's network hardware working under Linux, so it's Windows most of the time for me. My desktop works perfectly, but I just prefer using the laptop since it has a great keyboard and touchpad.

(like talkbass, but for linux)

There was nothing I needed microsoft for, but lots I can do without it. Last night I ssh'd into my other computer to turn it off without leaving my chair :D Can't do that with microsoft so easily!

I'm a slackware user, btw, and have been for 3 years now. Was RedHat 9 before that and RedHat 7.3 before that.
  16. My touchpad drives me mad! I keep touching it by accident!

Anyway, what network hardware do you have? There are drivers around for most things, you just need to know the chipset and where to look.
  17. flatwoundfender

Feb 24, 2005
    For all the gamers, try out cedega, you can get it free from cvs I believe, or elsewhere ;). It allows you to run quit a few windows games, newer ones like HL2 and I World of Warcraft.
  18. It's not a substitute for Windows, especially if you're using an ATI card.
  19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Using red hat at work and home, and a notebook with phlak. I use Xp a lot as well, games, and recording software, linux is not on par yet with these two items. Also, the price rocks.

I have nothing serious against MS or XP though.