1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Linux users?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by embellisher, Mar 12, 2006.

1. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Have you tried it? If so, what's the verdict?

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Thank you, I thought I answered.
    But the problem was my mother board. It was not suported...yet.
    The new version of ubuntu 6.10 is working. In fact I am installing it right now on my desktop. SHould be done in about 10 minutes.

3. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Well, not 100%. I have Hydrogen and Audacity on my Ubuntu PC, but haven't gotten around to trying them with my USB interface. I recently bought Mackie's Tracktion and have been using it on my Windows PC when I need to record something.
    To be honest I'm not too fond of the interface in Audacity, but who can complain for the price. Ardour looks promising, but so far I can't get it to start. I haven't spent a lot of time working on that though.
    I am very interested to see what I can do with this stuff on Linux. The way things look now I'm not going to switch to Vista when that comes out, and eventually support will end for XP. So It would be nice to have a solution already worked out.

Glad everything is working for you Yvon.

4. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    My sentiments also.

5. I think that Jack gives Linux a huge advantage in the audio arena. Being able to pipe audio around arbitrarily between programs is very cool.

6. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

Wasn't support for Windows 98 just dropped this year? Going by that it seems that Microsoft is going to support XP for quite a while yet. You'll have a while to work out a solution if you are going to wait for support to end.

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Suppost for XP was suposed to end at then end of 2007. But with all the complaint they got, they decided to keep the suport until 2009 I think.

8. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    By the way, I installed edgy yesterday on my desktop. Everything went great. I liked it so much, I just installed it on my laptop also.

For those who would like to try linux, try ubuntu edgy with automatix2.
    It install everything you'll ever need.

9. irjason

irjason In Memoriam

Nov 17, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Well that is a bit of a relief, but I have to wonder how long software will continue to be written for XP. My understanding is that Vista will be a whole new thing sort of like how NT 2000 and XP are different from 95 and 98.
    I guess if it comes down to it I could keep using what I have now until I have something better figured out.
    Also I got Ardour to work after I posted last night. Turns out I didn't have all of the Jack components installed. Haven't tried to record anything with it yet though.

10. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    Doing the exact same thing, but with the XFCE frontend. I've got to say that Edgy is now my all time personal fave distro! :smug:

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Desktop Operating Systems Windows XP Professional
    Date of General Availability December 31, 2001
    Direct OEM and Retail License Availability (end date) 12 Months Following Windows Vista General Availability2
    System Builder License Availability (end date) 24 Months Following Windows Vista General Availability2

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/default.mspx

This is also interesting......

Microsoft Support Lifecycle

12. Geoff St. Germaine

Geoff St. Germaine Commercial User

I read elsewhere that support for XP Home will end the end the second Tuesday following the end of the quarter two years after Vista is released and that support for XP Professional (since it falls under business and developer software) will extend 5 years beyond that (April 2014). I think that what you've posted is for how long licenses will be available for purchase.

13. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    You may be right Geoff. Regardless, by the time support for XP stops I hope to be deep in Linux. And, unless something changes it will be one of the Ubuntu flavors (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Edubuntu, Xubuntu) primarily. I recently received the Edgy distro of each. Only Ubuntu and Kubuntu have the Live disc option. I got Xubuntu because I thought the PC that it targeted for (PII 350MHZ, 320MB RAM, 27GB hard drive) could not support the others. Xubuntu supposedly has lighter system requirements.

It had Windows '98 installed and I had attempted to install XP on a prior occasion with no success. I got a deal on some PC-100 RAM and a hard drive and after install that I said, "What the heck. Let's try this XP again." To my surprise it went extremely smooth. During the install I partitioned the drive and put Edubuntu on the free partition. My 6 year old is loving that old PC! :)

The three other PCs in my house look like this:

Kubuntu - My 14 year old. Her favorite color is blue. If you have ever seen Kunbuntu, you know once she saw it there was no other choice for her. :D

Ubuntu - My wife.

Ubuntu - Me but I really like the KDE desktop in Kubuntu. I may make changes. Also, The Ubuntu family is growing. Development is going on that will create a multimedia version of Ubuntu that is tentatively being called Mubuntu. Ubuntu Studio is going to be a big part of Mubuntu. Man, it would be cool to have an OS ready to make music right after install!

14. There is a distro like that already, but I forget its name...dynebolic I think.

Don't think I'm trying to patronise you if you knew already, but to get KDE on Ubuntu, do:

apt-get install kubuntu-desktop

15. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada

It's Agnula.
    I tried it and didn't like it.
    Fedora core 5 with ccrma settings is pretty nice for music also.

here's a link for agnula
    http://www.agnula.org/

16. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Thank you sir! I have heard of Dynebolic but I'm not so sure that it focuses as much on music creation as Mubuntu sounds like it's going to. I could be wrong though. Here's a paragraph from the Dynebolic site.....

http://dynebolic.org/

I was also familiar with the command to add the Kubuntu desktop in Ubuntu but thanks! I'm still haven't decided if I want to do that or just go with one or the other. Now what I need is a Linux OS for my server. All of the ones that I have tried thus far (Ubuntu, CentOS 4.3, Red Hat 9, Gentoo 2005, Slackware 10) have failed. None of them were able to detect the drives in my RAID configuration. :rollno:

EDIT: I just read the Dynebolic paragraph again. It may very well have a lot of music creativity tools intertwined.

17. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    I 2nd the Ubuntu/Kubuntu nods. And welcome Embellisher to Linux!

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I haven't booted M$ on my home PC in over 6 months now.:smug: My son uses PC Linux OS about 80% of the time, he only boots to XP when he wants to play a few certain games.

I guess I am the only one here using the PCLOS distro.

19. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    My main distros are Ubuntu/Kubuntu and Fedora Core (Kneel Before Zod Edition).

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Colorado
    Since I started using Ubuntu the only reason that I boot into XP is to allow my OS/McAfee upgrades to install. I can truly say that the only thing that prevented me fro taking the leap a lot earlier was sheer ignorance on my part. No regrets here at all.

Never tried the PC Linux distro. I am hooked on the flavors of Ubuntu. My server is also up and running with FreeBSD. It installed without any problems but it is completely BASH driven. My BASH skills leave a lot to be desired at the moment. I will work through it.

The PC-BSD OS (1.2 Icy Steel) is nice IMO. It's running on one of my boxes right now. KDE desktop and the look and feel are great.